SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm struggling to find a good match to the deep red that Alfa's were painted in the late 60s-early 70s. Here's an example

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

And this is what Proto Slot made of it

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Any suggestions?

Andy

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
I was recommended that a good colour for 50's-60's Ferrari's, was 'Fiat Racing Red'. Comparing my newly sprayed Ferrari with your above pictures, it seems a good match.

·
Mike Newns
629 Posts
Alfa Red doesn't seem to photograph well and sometimes looks a lot darker in a photo - The Proto slot colour is about right. Team cars (Autodelta and Alfa Corse) seem to be the same colour throughout the '60s and '70s and that red is still available as AR130.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi Mike

Thanks for that - but I have to disagree with you about the Proto slot colour - which is basically Ferrari red for that period. I saw works Ferraris and Alfas in the same races in the late 60's and there was a very clear distinction between them. I took this shot

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive design

at the 1970 BOAC 1000km

Incidentally, I just found the mother of all Alfa 33 sites a minute ago - check out here plus pages before & after.

Who makes AR130? Is it an 'official' Alfa colour?

Best wishes

Andy

·
Mike Newns
629 Posts
Your right - Alfa Red is much darker than Ferrari Red - but the Alfa colour seems to change when I photograph models. Here is a picture (cheap digital camera - but the same happens with proper ones) of a Proto Alfa and a Fly Ferrari.

What I see through the viewfinder is a deep red Alfa and a much lighter red Ferrari - what I get is:-

Dropping the light to ambient levels (hence carp photo) produces something near to what I see:-

Strange - maybe someone more versed in photography can explain.

Yes AR 130 is the Alfa code they've used since 1997.

Nice pics of the 33's

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
I agree, white primer on one and grey or red primer on the other, saves buying two colours of the top coat.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys - this is all really helpful for me - and I bet for many others out there too. You know, Mike, when I read your earlier comment I went and did exactly what you did - lined up the two models next to each other on the kitchen table. My eyes got the same result as your first, bright pic - not much difference between Fly Ferrari and Proto Alfa. The next morning I looked again and my eyes got your second result! The difference was that the first view was under a yellowish bulb at night and the second was more like daylight. I conclude that the Proto car is indeed quite a lot darker than a Fly but you need the correct (ie daylight) lighting conditions to actually see it! This explains why all the period shots of Alfa's in the drizzle in the UK (a blue tint) look seriously dark but you can hardly tell the difference when looking at the Targa or Sebring photos - bright yellow sunlight!

I'll hunt out that AR130 spray very soon

Cheers

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here's (I think!!) the final word on this topic. On the advice of Mike I got some Alfa AR130 red and sprayed the inside of my spray booth with it - that's because the booth had a nice spectrum of white, grey and black splotches to test how the colour changes with the underlying primer (Ember's idea).

Motor vehicle Textile Automotive lighting Red Font

I've copied the original background colours at the top - you can see the variation in the resulting red colour after spraying over it. I also lined up a set of cars - 3 Ferraris and two Alfas. Subjectively the MMK 312P (first on the left) 'looks' right to my eye for Ferrari red and both Alfa's on the right (Slot.it above, Proto Slot below) look more or less OK for Alfas. You can see that AR130 with a grey or black priming is pretty much exactly the same as the Slot.It colour and if you prefer the Proto slot interpretation you should underlay AR130 with white primer.

Simple, eh?

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts