SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
John Roche
Joined
·
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I had hoped to discuss this at Corby this weekend. As you may have noticed I've not been able to get to the club on Tuedays or Thursdays for a while.

We had hoped to have completed our move in time for Double Trouble but realistically we'd be hard pushed to do so even if everything goes smoothly.

If we try to run it as the last meeting before we move and we have heavy rain leaking onto the track as we did at the September Classic, it would be a disaster. Due to this possibility I don't feel it is fair to ask competitors to risk travelling from all over and undergo all the expense that goes with it.

As I see it, we have 2 options. To cancel Double Trouble for this year and leave it till next year OR move it to July 22nd. We could then either cancel the Big Birds and Grand Sports meeting or move it to the Saturday of that weekend. Personally, I am inclined to go for the latter option and to move Double Trouble rather than cancelling it completely.

Rescheduling the meeting would give us nearly 3 months to complete the move.

What do you all think?

Cheers

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,155 Posts
Hi John.
Nothing to do with me as a non W/bro member, but as an entrant, I love your D/T meeting second only to Early Birds. A move to July (date clashes pemiting) would be fine by me...just don't cancel this great event!
Cheers Bill.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,786 Posts
Hi John,
That also sounds like a better option for me, especially since I would have been hard pressed to make it this spring for various reasons.

July 22 should be okay - except it's Maguy's birthday, so would involve some serious negotiating! (and maybe a stop in London on the way...). Also, for the French guys, we have to check with our endless vacation days...

cheers,
Don
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
294 Posts
Hi John,
Thinking sensibly about this, I think moving the event would be a good idea. The risks of water leakage, which seems to get worse each time it rains, could spoil the event and the Wellingborough clubroom is in need of a considerable tidy up, time which will delay the Corby clubroom work.

The amount of work still to do to the Corby clubroom isn't massive but the possible rework on the tracks, once moved, could be considerable. The raceway is planned to be smoothed out in one or two places and re-braided but the scale track may be more problematic as we won't know the full extent of the work required until we attempt to take it apart. We may be lucky and only need to smooth out the new joints or may be faced with rebuilding sections altogether. Moving Double Trouble will give us the breathing space to get both tracks up and to the standard we all want.

Mike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,956 Posts
Hi John,
As these meetings are really your babies it will have to be your decision in the end.
Remember it's not just the rain that could spoil things at the Wellingborough club room.
There is always the ongoing possibility that we will arrive one day and find we have no water or electricity.
Despite Daivd's optimism there is little realistic chance that both tracks could be operational in Corby by April 22nd.
I will of course make myself available for race control duties whenever the meetings are run.
Cheers.
****.
 

·
John Roche
Joined
·
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your advice and encouragement Gentlemen.

It's clear that it would be unwise at best to try running DT at Wellinbugger.

Being unable to work on the new clubroom yesterday has, in my view, made the already slim chance of having the tracks moved to Corby in time, impossible now. By moving the meeting to July we have nearly 3 months to prepare. Having said this, because of the uncertainty surrounding the building at Wellingborough, access and power, completing the move is just as urgent as it ever was.

We already have the July 22nd date booked for the 1:24 retro meeting allowing modern parts. I don't want to cancel this as some people may have already started preparing cars for it. Many hard body DT cars would also be eligible for the Sports/GT classes. A GP class was also run at Bordeaux the other year giving us even more potential entrants. By moving this meeting to the Saturday it gives anyone present for the weekend the opportunity to have more racing.

In view of the above, we will move Double Trouble to July 22nd and hope that most, if not all, our regulars will be able to attend.

Don, as ever, you and Maguy are welcome in Bedford anytime.

Cheers

John
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top