Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I am upgrading from PB Pro to APB and I thought of a solution to keep using PB Pro and lap display while the track will be controlled by APB, but that is for a next project. I first wanted to try this 'mod'. Very simple but effective, some people may like It. I am no electric wizard at all, but this is something anyone can do.

What I did. I had a spare 4 car PB which I use for ID-ing cars when racing with PB Pro. Inspired by MartinT's brilliant effort, I came up with this;
A 4 car PB of which 2 controller ports are used as extension, so I can connect controllers 3 m. away from main base, and when powered up I can ID cars 1-4 in th epitlane without interrupting racing.

First ; separate PB from track. Very easy with a sharp knife. Just open up and de-solder wires that go to track;

When opened up; I looked up connectors 2 and 4 ( you can take others of course, or even all 4) and made sure the 2 I wanted to use for extension bays have no connection with main board. Just use a sharp knife and keep slicing until there is no contact. Use a meter to check. You can see It If you look carefully at the far right (ID4) controller connection. I did the same at ID2.

Now take 2 old controllers or find the jackets that fit in the controller port of APB/7030 and extend wires. Solder the ends to the 4-car PB main board. Be aware that you solder the right cable to the right pin. You see the underside with wires connected to port 2 and 4.

Now close PB and extend wires that went to track piece and solder them to a ISOLATED track piece, a piece NOT connected to the main track.
I found that in my pitlane :)

Here you see the 4-car PB;

When powered up, I can ID in pitlane, If not powered up, I still can connect 2 controllers 3 m. away from my main power base where theyare connected to port 2/4, but basically could be any port.

I am glad to show It worked! Car ID-ed in pitlane 2/4 and controlled by extendend connections. Hooray !

My first ever DIY mod, now I am ready to separate APB from track, add C7030 and lap display, -> Next project.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I must be daft but I don't follow something here...

1) I DO understand the wiring to an ISOLATED track piece so you can ID cars 1-4 (wish there was a way to do 5 and 6 as well... hmmmm)

2) if you are extending the controllers why do only 2 and not 4?

3) if you have to run wires from the APB/7030 to the 4 car PB so you can plug into it at the second spot, why not just put an extension from the APB/7030 to the controller point further down the track and move your controllers?

As I said, I am missing something here that you obviously found useful, Minardi.
Your assistance will be appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here we go;

QUOTE 1) I DO understand the wiring to an ISOLATED track piece so you can ID cars 1-4 (wish there was a way to do 5 and 6 as well... hmmmm)
I use ID 5-6 not much. Besides that, in a short time I will have the PB pro spare to ID 5-6.

QUOTE 2) if you are extending the controllers why do only 2 and not 4?
Well, I only need 2 connections further away. And now I can connect at least 1 controller that is still connected to the main board to sand tyres etc. on the isolated track piece.

QUOTE 3) if you have to run wires from the APB/7030 to the 4 car PB so you can plug into it at the second spot, why not just put an extension from the APB/7030 to the controller point further down the track and move your controllers?
I had trouble finding male/female connections for the controllers. And If you do find them, you still need a housing. The 4 car PB has those female connections in a housing, and It can ID cars 1-4, so for me a easy/cheap solution.

Hope It makes more sens now.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
OK, makes sense now.
Thanks for the reply. And the track looks terrific, BTW!
Cheers!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use to use 4 car power base for ID as very rarely run with more than 4 cars, however since latest firmware and SSDC updates ID the car through the software is now so easy, so my 4 car power base is now totally redundant.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE I use to use 4 car power base for ID as very rarely run with more than 4 cars, however since latest firmware and SSDC updates ID the car through the software is now so easy, so my 4 car power base is now totally redundant.
But the problem remains that all other cars have to be lifted from the track. With a separate PB the racing can go on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts