SlotForum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 20 year old, Scalextric LeMans set (with the gold & silver porsches). Currently in the process of cleaning up the tarnished track to set it up again.

Apart from the introduction of sport track, what other changes have happened in the scalextric world to track and cars?

Jimster.

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Hi Jimster! Those older Le Mans sets are great aren't they?

The current range of hornby/scalexctric cars contain very strong magnets, so they stick to the track like a , well, magnet to metal really
. If you want to run scaley cars without magnets, they (unfortunately) need a fair bit of work to handle well. Most other manufacturer's cars are much more happy to have their magnet removed, and will only require light, if any, tweaking.

The lights in cars are now more advanced, using either xenon bulbs or digital chips. Detail has also significantly incresed, especially with companies like Fly producing cars on a par and even better than die cast models. It all comes out in the price though.

On our doorstep is the arrival of digital racing, or multi-car-per-lane. Many setups allow four to six cars to run on just two lanes, swaping lanes via a special peice of track and a button on the controller. Chances for overtaking, blocking etc. Scalextric are also producing SportWorld, which will let you race others over the internet.

There are a wide range of parts for tuning cars to racing standards, but I needn't to go into that if you plan on racing only at home.

I'm sure the others will answer what I haven't, and feel free to ask any more questions

Hope your regained intrest in the hobby brings many years of happiness, good luck in renovating your track.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
YOu missed one!

Most systems now give active braking to the cars so when you release the trigger the cars 'brake' instead of simply drifting to a stop. BIG advance form my sets of old.

That and the detail of Fly and Ninco are what got me hooked this time round and now look where it got me

NAh! I love it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.

I actually got one of the new Moto GP bikes off my girlfriend (the ducatti, complete with guide weights) for my birthday, which prompted me to get the track out again.

The braking sounds interesting, I'd guess it makes the driving a bit more realistic with regards to releasing the throttle closer to corners.

I've seen some reviews of the new fly viper, which looks a very nice car.

Apart from the Le Mans porsches, I have a couple of Rover rally cars (the triplex rover and another one from the same time) as well as 2 of the super stox cars (the ones that run both ways round the track).

Have the controllers/transformers changed much?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sounds like you have some nice original cars there, i have the same set as you all mint boxed and only ever been used twice!!!!

The transformers now are alot more powerful and not as big (assuming you have the black cube version) being wall mounted a bit like your mobile phone charger. The controllers really have only changed in appearance, but there are more manufacturers out there making better ones ie Parma

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Hi Jimster71, & welcome.

QUOTE I have... 2 of the super stox cars (the ones that run both ways round the track).

I'd hang on to those. I've got mainly 80's car (off ebay) and I'd love to pick up a couple of those. But the price they fetch, in good nick, is beyond my wallet.

I'm looking into adding braking to my old 80's controllers. It's possible but I'm no spark's.

There are plenty power options now, but there are other more qualified people to explain about them.

Enjoy the forum!

David

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, is the braking a function of the controller?

Unfortunately the Stox cars have some damage (on the front ) from racing on lots of tracks with crossovers!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
QUOTE I actually got one of the new Moto GP bikes

Please don't let it put you off... The newer cars handle much better than the old ones, which in turn will handle better than your bike I expect.

I'd suggest upgrading your track if you are serious. Ninco and Scalextric Sport are probably the best around for home tracks, but Carrera is also good.

You will notice that these tracks will not bend or warp at all, unlike old classic track which tends to as it gets older.

Hope you get back into it.

McLaren

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link. Will see how it runs when I get my old track cleaned up.

Quite tempted by the scalextric Power & Control set as a starting point to upgrading my power supply/controllers to something a bit newer.

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
QUOTE (McLaren @ 16 Sep 2004, 14:50)I'd suggest upgrading your track if you are serious. Ninco and Scalextric Sport are probably the best around for home tracks, but Carrera is also good.

You will notice that these tracks will not bend or warp at all, unlike old classic track which tends to as it gets older.
Sport's terrible mate.

Controllers now come from various manufacyures (parma, fly, prof motor etc) with a range of resistances, throttles spirings and so on.

You can also buy advanced controllers which have a variety of adjustments that can tweak breaking, spring, acceleration etc.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
QUOTE Sport's terrible mate.

Good enough for a newbie home track IMO.

I'd go for Ninco every time, but some people prefe to stick to familiar brands.

Just don't buy more classic or SCX track...

Mclaren

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Odd isn't it, how different people perceive different things...

I totally disagree with this statement and have a 24 Metre 4 lane Club track to prove it...

QUOTE Sport's terrible mate.

It is smooth, provides a good surface for grip, is flexible enough to make more than a boring flat circuit and allows almost all cars from all manufacturers to run well enough on it box standard.

However that isnt the first negative comment I have heard so it must be a case of horses for courses.

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Hi, i thought i'd back up my statement with my experiences:

Warps in weak sunlight
Warps when pressure applied (leaning on - which i dont but little cousins etc do)
Poo grip for non mags
When connnected, clips dont hold it together well enough. You could pull it apart without realeasing them half the time.

Ah well, I have it now so I gotta use it.

Sorry to deviate from the thread.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is sport track less prone to warping than classic scalextric track?

I nipped out, yesterday evening after tea, and when I got home my girlfriend had cleaned enough track to make a small oval circuit (like scalextric track 1) and set it up for me

Actually managed to get a chance to try out my old cars and the new bike to test it all worked ok.

Old cars need a clean and some oil as they seemed quite slow. The bike, however, zipped along in comparison.

Will try and get the rest of my track cleaned up over the weekend so I can set up a larger circuit.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
QUOTE I nipped out, yesterday evening after tea, and when I got home my girlfriend had cleaned enough track to make a small oval circuit (like scalextric track 1) and set it up for me

Has she got a sister?

McLaren

·
Registered
361 Posts
QUOTE (McLaren @ 17 Sep 2004, 11:39)Has she got a sister?

Beat me to it
. Can she tell my lady to stop tutting every time scalextrics gets a mention in our house!

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
QUOTE (Jimster71 @ 17 Sep 2004, 10:10)Is sport track less prone to warping than classic scalextric track?
More prone IMHO. I dunno, maybe I just have a load of duff peices. If you fix either classic or sport down for a permanent track you should be fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts