SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello folks,

About twenty five years ago my Dad brought home a massive wooden four lane slot car track with the brilliant vision that us kids could have many years of fun. It was acquired from a storage company in Crediton [EX17], England, who were going to dump it because fees hadn't been paid. We laid it out, got very excited, worked through what we thought it would need to get up and running and then carefully stored it in a dry barn on the farm and closed the door. Late last year I got the track out! Still in a really good condition and worth the restoration. I would like to know a little more about the track, its builder, if anyone can remember seeing or racing on it (probably somewhere in Southwest England between 1960-80's).

It is quite a distinctive red track.

I'd appreciate all the knowledge any of y'all have concerning this track. I think it's a beauty and although I'd need a massive space to set it up, I have the tools I would require but any advice would be well received. It is for sale and we have been searching for a suitable home because it can no longer stay at the farm, however I would like to restore it and finally enjoy racing cars around this track as much as we all thought we would so many years ago.

Hope this finds you all well.

Ian

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's exactly what I think! I'm a quick learner, got the tools I think would be needed and would do it all as well as I could. If I can find a suitable space, I'll make a suspended platform to set it up on so it'd be easy to hoist up out of the way. Don't know whether to just clean up the copper tape and get any gunk out of the slots to restore it to it's original glory... or remove the tape, get the router out and lay braid. I think I'd need quite a bit of advice to make this a goer.. and possibly quite a bit of cash for the braid/electrics/cars/controllers. Still totally enthused by the whole idea, but currently pouring all our money and spare time into renovating a narrowboat!

Thanks for the encouragement
thumbsup2.gif

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hi Ian

It's probably a Stewart Wyatt built track. It's not one of the Swindon "4 Lane Black Top" club tracks.

Those tracks were mainly used for 1/32 cars although they could take 1/24 cars too. 4 inch lane centres was the ECRA / BSCRA recomended lane spacing at the time.

It might be possible to restore the old tape - depends what state it's in. More likley than not it'll need regluing in places, but that's not difficult. The sort of copper tape used back then is difficult if not impossible to find these days. All the slot racing suppliers who used to stock copper tape seemed to have given up stocking it, most MDF club tracks are braided these days. The tape that's easily available these days isn't as good, but might be OK for repairs.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Hi Ian

Looks like a great project.

I've raced at FLBT through a number of incarnations since 1998 and this isn't any of our tracks.

If anyone's interested, since I've been there we've used:

The Puremont figure 8 track - given to Andy Smith who used it as the basis of the new Leicester Electric club.

The Isle of Man track - destroyed when our Swindon clubroom burnt down.

Various two lane and plastic tracks. amazingly we sold one of these for more than we spent on it, another is in my shed.

The former Timaru track, now superbly renovated and in use at the Dudley Parkway club

Two slotstox tracks

A drag strip (still got this)

The former Honiton track (still got this, now out on loan, see below)

Our latest and greatest, build with the help of Lee Parsons in 2016.

We race every Tuesday in Marlborough, Wilts http://www.flbt.co.uk/

Ian, if you are interested in the sport/getting some help (not a cure!), one of our old tracks is on loan to the Shepton Mallett club https://en-gb.facebook.com/sheptonslotcarclub/ which may be near to you in Somerset.

All the best, Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts