SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just bought a Fly racing Saleen today and after I took the body off I could see some green and white deposits at the soldering points (where the wires join the motor). Why is this? I personally had never seen anything like this, surely it isn't normal ? Also is it gonna affect the motor's performance? I couldn't find out if it works at all since I'm not home for another few days. Thanks in advance guys!

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Sure you didnt sneeze?

Could be flux build up from some dodgy soldering OR could be a damp build up - either way a soft brush will remove it and it wont affect motor performance UNLESS the joints are not made well.
Clean them up and touch a soldering iron (hot obviously! before someone pulls me on it) to the connections with fresh solder, that should do it

Any other deposits anywhere?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sounds like they had to use extra flux to solder the wores on. I would remove the wires (obviously noting from which side they came) and clean off as much of the old solder as poss from both connections, then remake. RS do some flux cleaning pens, i use them at work all the time as well as the flux pens........they are good stuff and only about £3 each.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'd suggest cleaning it thoroughly with contact cleaner or popping it into an ultrasonic cleaner then mention it to the person you bought it from. You should never see corrosion like that, a dulling of the solder joint perhaps but never corrosion.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
As you've forked out a small bomb for the car, if there is any worry in your head then take it back and get a replacement.

Mind, you if it's just a small mark and does not progress into the motor then the posts above will clear any poor electrical contact problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts