SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

Alan Wilkinson
Many clubs that run cars with pods seperate classes or allow only one type of motor alignment in a class.
It had me wondering why.
Bob
Irrespective of the relative advantages of the three alignments, it's easier to balance a class of racing when all cars have to use the same one
AlanW

Kevs Racing Bits
I don't believe AW are the most balanced at all, in fact the worst of the three configurations as you have a lump of metal not equally distributed fore/aft, left/right. Of the three configurations SW feels smoothest and lap times show the quickest option - just check group 5 and GT3 proxy builds, SW is king.

• Wow
Reactions: GDSLOT

Registered
I don't believe AW are the most balanced at all, in fact the worst of the three configurations as you have a lump of metal not equally distributed fore/aft, left/right. Of the three configurations SW feels smoothest and lap times show the quickest option - just check group 5 and GT3 proxy builds, SW is king.
Unless you are on plastic track,then the angle winder is faster because of the magnetic effect. If you are going to make generalizations specify the track surface!

Mike M.

Electric model car driver
The simplest difference that I can see between inline and sidewinder (same motor same ratio etc) is that inline has 2 forces operating, down and out, ie. turning pinion pushing the teeth of the crown down and trying to slide the crown away eg along the axle, and sidewinder has 1, pinion pushing spur down.

Bob Chapman
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
All good info lads and all relevant. Even the IL can be set up with an offset pod and gears.
So lets go to the next step and see what configuration you would choose given the same motor in the same car with the same ratio. And why?
Cheers
Bob

Bob Chapman
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Those are some of the things I am wondering about. If one configuration is best then why all the others with the exception of fit and detail .
Bob

Kevs Racing Bits
Unless you are on plastic track,then the angle winder is faster because of the magnetic effect. If you are going to make generalizations specify the track surface!

Mike M.
We have a magnetic effect limit of 25g, high mag motors have no advantage on our tracks, whether plastic or routed tracks, AW are third choice for our club members. Tyres, weight tuning and setup are the difference makers.

Registered
I think it may well come down to track layout and driving style in the end. Anglewinders and sidewinders ruled when speed was the only thing that counted on the big fast commercial tracks at the end of the 60's and early 70's with very high revving motors so the torque effect of the motor may have also had more effect as well.

At my club, wood track with copper tape, most classes stipulate an inline configuration but one that doesn't is our 1/24th scale Mini or small car class. This has evolved to the point now that any chassis and configuration is allowed but must use a short can 25k motor and Slot.It Gp C wheels and F/N22 tyres. A lot of the cars use a Richard Mack chassis but as a newer member I can't get one of these so I have gone with a 3DP chassis using a Slot.It Pod. I built two almost identical cars with the same chassis and the same vac-form Mini Sprint body with no interior and the same wheels, tyres, axles and guides. The difference was on had an inline pod with no off-set and a Scaleauto Tech-2 motor and the other a sidewinder pod with a NSR Shark Evo motor. The inline car was the fastest by a reasonable margin. I then change the sidewinder motor to a Tech-2 and got the gear ratios as near the same as possible and the inline was still faster. I now have both cars running with inline pods as this seems to suit our track or my driving style better.

John Roche
It's interesting that most chassis for BSCRA or commercial raceway racing are anglewinder except F1 which have to be inline. One of main advantages of anglewinders is being able to use smaller diameter wheels thus lowering the centre of gravity. In 1:32 they also leave more room for wider wheels. It helps them that they have little regards to scale accuracy.

Cheers

John

Bob Chapman
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Its absolutely amazing the different results that members are getting from they're set ups.

Bob Chapman
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Its interesting John about the Richard Mack chassis's. I wonder how much difference there is between the BSCRA anglewinders and F1 inlines .
Bob

Reactions: vfr750

Registered
The level of detail and fitment some guys put into a build also makes a big difference. Some guys can build a shoe box and with their skill and attention to detail, make it faster than a car I can build the latest trick setup.

Registered
I wonder how much difference there is between the BSCRA anglewinders and F1 inlines .
At this years national championships the winning anglewinder in the fastest class (1/32 sports car) was just short of 16% quicker than the winning car in the inline class (1/32 F1 class car) - 338 laps vs 292 laps in 32 minutes
That's fairly typical but obviously the % difference won't be exactly the same from race to race.
There are many differences between these two classes apart from the motor orientation. It's generally accepted the motor orientation is one of the reasons sports class is faster, but I don't think anybody really knows how much of the extra speed is due to other differences.

Bob Chapman
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
True enough Matt , but what would you configure your build as.?
Bob

Bob Chapman
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thats quite a difference 300. I wonder if the motors and ratios were close.
Thanks for that example it says a lot.
Bob

Kevs Racing Bits
BSCRA with brushless motor...motor is tiny so no need to angle it...and would it be any advantage? If so I'm sure they would have made it AW in the first place.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Toy

Registered
I wonder if the motors and ratios were close.
One of the advantages of the anglewinders over the inlines in those BSCRA classes is the ability to use more powerful motors without mucking up the handling.
The motors are free choice in both the BSCRA sports and F1 classes. The same spec motor could be used in both. However the inlines would be undriveable with the most powerful motors so everybody who knows what they are doing chooses to use less powerful / more driveable motors. The anglewinders are very driveable with the more powerful motors so that's what is generally used in the sports class.

Slot King
I am sorry, but I do disagree with that statement. There are plenty of in line cars with powerful motors and they are perfectly drivable.
Also, any chance you could give us a link to a reference for your description of the Gyroscopic effect (as per your post #11 in this thread.
I am particularly interested in understanding how the axis of rotation goes up or down depending on the change of direction.

Joel

21 - 40 of 74 Posts