SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im fairly new to the scalextric world and was wondering what is the difference betwenn scalextric sport & sport digital??? i may seem a bit of a numpty asking this but just want to make a clear lol....

Thanks Luke

·
Prof I T
11,196 Posts
hi and welcome to the forum.

Scalextric sport is the name that covers the analouge range of products and scalextric digital does the same,though both names use the same track,to use digital though you need to introduce dedicated lane change sections.

Hope this helps...

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Hi Luke, this thread is a great place to start...

SSD 101

Scalextric stuff got a bit confusing a few years ago because they stuck the word 'Sport' on lots of their products that weren't necessarily compatible.

Scalextric Sport - Completely new Scalextric track system launched in 2002 with flat tabs & harder, less grippy plastic
Scalextric Sport Digital (SSD) - Scalextric version of Digital slot racing
Scalextric Sport World (SSW) - aborted venture into internet connected slot racing

Sport was also used on their range of upgraded limited edition cars which came in purple card boxes and are recognisable by the letter 'a' after the product identification number.

Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi Luke,

Welcome to the forum.

For me once I looked at Digital I just had to have it....................

Old "Analogue" = racing one car per lane of track

Digital = up to 6 cars using as many lanes as you like, lane changes at the press of a button, lap timer display, SSDC program that gives Fuel load simulation, cars that will run out of fuel, pitstops to re fuel, Murray walker race commentary, adjustable throttle maps, plus MUCH MUCH more.............

Digital is a real "big boys" toy

Read the "new to digital, start here" thread

Enjoy the hobby

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks dave i have just read richards thread!! on SSD 101 and have deffo fallen in love and now im hoping to order a PB pro!! if the mrs lets me lol! but first thing is first and sort out the attic conversion which will hopefully be done in a couple of weeks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
get the 7042 powerbase, does almost all that PB pro/7030 can, for a lot less. (No need to look for a 7030 powerbase either)

Get dual power supplies and powertaps to the track...........

Then upgrade to the latest greatest 7042 firmware.........

All the info is on here somewhere

·
Registered
61 Posts
if you get a 7042 powerbase, it can run with either one, or two transformers.

If you use one, the single transformer can (sometimes) be over whelmed by the power demands of the powerbase/all the cars/all the lane changers, this means the powerbase may "brown out" and you'll have to potentially reset and restart.

If you use two scalextric transformers the powerbase has access to twice as much current. The browning out/reset will not occur.

FWIW with a single scalextric power supply i can run any combination of 6 "items" (3 cars/3 lane changes for example) without issues, go to 7, and it'll trip out every 20 mins or so, with a more powerful aftermarket transformer, linked to both inputs on the powerbase (i had to make a cable up to do the link), i can run everything i have (so 6 cars and 8 lane changers) with no issues......... do a search in the SSD part of the forum. Its all listed out there, parts to buy, what to do and so on.

·
Greg Gaub
15,356 Posts
whoops! matt beat me to it.

The new powerbase has two power supply inputs. With two, you have more amps to share between all the cars and accessories. It also enables the use of both lanes for analog mode, whereas one power supply restricts you to one lane. There are ways around that requirement, but having the full amount of available power is a good thing. Check out the C7042 Power thread, linked in the C7042 instructional threads message at the top of the digital forum here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oh, and my "uprated" power supply only cost me 6 quid more than a single stock scalextric powersupply............ will probably deliver enough current to run everything i've got, twice. With some left over.

And its regulated, so minimal ripple or fluctuations under high demand.

TBH, i'm surprised scalex just don't provide a decent powersupply rather than what they try to pass off.........

·
David.
1,140 Posts
This, That, or The other. to enable digital racing, with the first one being the newest and 'best' powerbase that runs 6 cars with the 2 power supplies.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.