SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased two SCX cars and both their motors had already blew up. One of them is an Opel Astra V8 coupe and the other is a Seat Cupra GT. I believe they are both equipped with the "new breed" of RX-41 motors.

The Astra was fine for a week or so and then it decided to give up. The Seat Cupra was even worse. It packed up after literally "2 seconds" of running, it was straight from the box as well. It slowed down to snail pace even on full throttle. I took the body off to have a look, put it back on the track and gave full throttle again. All I can see is bright orange sparks and smoke..........great........

So 2 identical motors in 2 brand new cars in 2 weeks....... Am I THAT unlucky or there is something wrong with them? Have any of you guys experienced similar thing?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
What set up were you running them with?

By the way, your Minardi arrived on Friday and has been undergoing the patented "Wankel Tune Up" process.

No blow up so far!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE What set up were you running them with?

Do you mean what track and controller?

Well I ran it on Scaley Sport track with standard transformer and I've tried both parma 35ohm and Professor motor controllers. The cars were box standard.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing is though, all my other cars work fine before and after the blow up. I was actually in the middle of running in some motors and sanding down some tyres. So if there was a problem with the power of the track, surely it would have fried everything? All my Fly, scalextric, ninco and the rest of my SCX cars work. So I don't think it is my set up.

Another fact is that the Astra gave up on the club track and the Seat Cupra gave up on my home track............

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a brand new SCX Arbath which looks to be doing the same. A couple of laps and slows to a snails pace.

I will remove the resistor from the motor terminals and try it again before I condemn it though.

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
This is a worrying trend!!

I hope Techni-toys haven't boosted the performance at the cost of reliability on these motors. They are the one thing that sets SCX apart from all the other makers and are my favourite motor.

Mr.M

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Time to take them apart and LOOK.

It might be something simple like oil working its way onto the com. Or something silly like debris in the brush hood causing the brushes to hang up when hot, or a loose wire.

Fate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts