SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

The scalextric super resistant cars are great cars for flat-out racing with magnets - but which one is quickest? I've tried the Ferrari F430, Maclaren MP4 and Porsche Boxster and the MacLaren seems to be best around our Classic track - what do you think?

Andy

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
I haven't tried the MP4 but I have read (on this forum) that it's a bit of a challenge to drive around corners!

We race super resistant F430's, 997's, Gallardos, GT-Rs and R8's.

The fastest cars are the F430's by a fair margin on Sport Track on the Amman Valley Raceway and on Snurfen's West Mor track (also Sport).

It's probably a subjective thing - On a different Sport Track the F430 may not do as well as some of the others.

Gluing and truing the tyres makes a MASSIVE difference. Soft copper braid and Inox MX3 also improves things as do Urethane tyres.

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
My yellow Boxster is the undisputed king of my track. It always has to go on the longest lane to help even things up. Although the blue Gallardo will give it a run for its money.

I have a crapload of the Porsches...

DSCF0056 by stoooo, on Flickr

Believe it or not, these *all* drive differently. One of them sucks a$$, while the others are all decent runners. But where one sets off down the straights like a rabbit with its bum on fire, another accelerates more leisurely, but sticks like glue around an R1 hairpin. Yet another is massively tailhappy, drifting around every corner (which tends to be the slow way round the track) but you have to be totally hamfisted with it to get it to deslot. These are all unmodified, since their expected lifespan was always short. At this point, they have really earned their keep, and are still chugging away.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
the grandkids allways go for the porsche boxters when they want to beat me. i run with no magnets. their quick little buggers out of the box, for some reason the yellow ones the best. john

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
I do have a Boxter and a TT. Neither are anywhere close to the super resistant F430 or GT-R with magnets on Sport track - even if I fit the Boxter with urethanes.

The Boxter would probably do much better if I ran magless.

F430 is King for me on my track.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Ford Falcon V8 Supercar.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys - interesting! It seems that different tracks do different things and car preparation matters a lot - same as ever.

All the best

Andy

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I have always found that it is the cars that the other guys drives ......................

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have found the Lambroghini Gallardo to be the fastest around my track, the one I own is the Need for speed one thats all gloss white with a matt black stip down the middle, it also has a rear wing.
It's so quick infact that it will even give my Slot.it Toyota 88C a run for its money.
I havent added anything to the car either just pulled off wing mirrors and put copper braids on instead if the wirewool they come fitted with.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
QUOTE (Coides @ 8 Jun 2012, 19:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and car preparation matters a lot

+1

QUOTE (GregK @ 8 Jun 2012, 20:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have always found that it is the cars that the other guys drives ......................

Me too.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi guys
Ive got all the sr cars and for me the lambo's are the best then the boxsters and yes the yellow one.
regards ade.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have two of those porsche 997 and they crash in every turn if you try to keep up with the Lamborghinis. After Lambos comes the Audi R8´s. The McLaren MP4-12C is a bit tricky to drive but still a lot better than the Porches. With two magnets and a lot of led weight they start to keep up with the Lambos

·
Greg Gaub
14,651 Posts
When you're talking magnet cars, it's a toss up since magnet traction can vary so greatly. The faster car will be the one with the most downforce and fastest motor, so long as it's also driven well.
For magless racing, though, we've found that the wider the track, the better. So, the hands down winner with us has been the new Corvette. It's wider than all the rest, even the lambos. This is also assuming that tire grip is equal and wheels/tires are true. The Porsches tend to be quick, but take skill in the corners due to their narrow track. The Audis are pretty good, but not as wide and low as the Corvette. I don't have a McLaren yet, or a Veyron, but I'm betting the 'vette will still have them beat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm lovin the R8s. I hope to get them all. I think there are five or six. My fastest car is the blue and yellow R8. My GT-Rs are nice too.
CE

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Have completed about 6 hours of racing at an event on Saturday for over 500 men running 12 lap races on DisplayPro. We raced Boxsters, F430s, Lamborghini Gallardos & Porsche 997s. For most of the afternoon people thought that a blue Gallardo was quickest, then a yellow F430 but the lap record of the day was then set at 10.62 seconds by a green Porsche 997!

I don't think that there is a huge difference between the three but the guy who set the lap record was at the track for most of the afternoon so I think that driver skill counts for a lot!

·
Registered
235 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 28 Jun 2012, 23:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For magless racing, though, we've found that the wider the track, the better. So, the hands down winner with us has been the new Corvette. It's wider than all the rest, even the lambos. This is also assuming that tire grip is equal and wheels/tires are true. The Porsches tend to be quick, but take skill in the corners due to their narrow track. The Audis are pretty good, but not as wide and low as the Corvette. I don't have a McLaren yet, or a Veyron, but I'm betting the 'vette will still have them beat.

I can't get my Corvette to run well with my other cars at all. It's a dog. Looks nice though. It's been one of the worst performing cars I own and I have Ferrari's, lambo's, Audi's and Porsche's. They all perform better than that Corvette.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts