Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen this for sale, tempted to buy it but a bit curious about it

Originally I searched the web for Panther-BRM (name on the side of the box) but drew a short straw. It was suggested to me by an Oaklands club member that the name might be false since many Far East manufacturers in the 60s slapped totally false names on kits to avoid licensing problems.

So then I thought it might be a Chaparral 2F but then comparison of box art to the real 2F shows some big differences, like the apparent presence of a rear window and the incorrect placing of the wing.

So does anybody know what real prototype this is intended to be and what scale is it? The box carries no mention of scale.

Coop

·
Registered
57 Posts
It looks like the bertone Panther, a show-car built around 1967.
There were many die-cast of it at the time : Mebetoys, Politoys, Majorette etc...
By Google, I found a picture on the Bertone site which might be
www.bertone.it

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I think I remember Scalecraft- they were toy manufacturers with a little factory in Twickenham. They made a range of battery powered models, semi-scale, all in soft wash-basin plastic, clip together construction. There was a go-kart, a paddle-steamer, a float-plane, various others.
Scale was not an issue, despite the name- all the models were about the same size-about 6" long, I guess. I don't think any of them were replicas of any particular prototype. The box looks familiar, but not the 'push-go' motor.
So maybe I'm hallucinating again.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE So maybe I'm hallucinating again
Probably howmet but I'm suffering similar flashbacks! I'm pretty sure I had two Scalecraft F1 "Coopers" when I was a nipper. They were red, had 1.5 volt motors powered by an AA size battery with a wobbly plastic lever sticking out the side to switch them on and off. I used to race them around the living room carpet till the batteries went flat. I think! Ahh memories...

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
The kit looks a little bit like the McLaren M6GT (without the aerofoil) road car that Bruce McLaren was developing for possible production.

David

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Direct hit there, Chofar, but I hope you don't mind if I carry on reminiscing with my old fellow Scalecraft fans Diff and JP...

My go-kart broke and Mum took me all the way to the factory to get a new part for it. Didn't muck about, my mum. Straight to the top, no arguments.
My paddle steamer capsized in the bath- some submerged obstruction I expect.
Never saw the F1 Cooper though, JP. I'd have put that one on my Christmas list. The Cessna was great though, eh Diff? Ploughed through the rubber duckies with it's propellor spinning. Like that scene from Catch-22.
The Panther looks fun, but I doubt if it has much potential for slot conversion.
But great memories!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
THe only scalecraft I have the Ford GT40. I have a mint one in yellow. At the last Sandown toyfair I saw a partly built one in red for £25. I am sure they did a Porshe 910?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know I thought Chofar had it with the Bertone link... then I thought David had it being a McLaren M6GT, because let's face it if you don't paint cars that particular shade of orangey-yellow without good reason (and the front nose cutout is identical to the M6).... then Chofar trumped that with the link to the Bertone site which has the car in orange! I notice the curious squared off top the rear arch is similar on the artwork to the real thing.

I'll think I'll just buy it anyway and see what turns up in the post

Cheers,

Coop

·
Registered
57 Posts
We have to admit Bertone has been better inspired later with the Carabo or Countach or before with the Miura.
Here we have a miw between a Mclaren M6 and the rear wing of a 2F...maybe !

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
chofar, Betone did this trick before I am sure I've seen the Miura Jota with a wing mounted on it's roof. But maybe it was just a plastic model of it and not the real car?
Regards Allan

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, if we believe the Bertone site, this car is from 1967 and IIRC the Miura was made in 1966.
Jota is a real car but I can't remember when it was seen for the first time and if it was made with the help of Bertone or only self-made-factory car.
Is this kit 1/32 ?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (chofar @ 25 Nov 2004, 23:08)Is this kit 1/32 ?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll let you know when it arrives. If I find some dimensions of the 1:1 car otherwise declaring it's scale might be in the realm of guesswork!

Coop

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The Miura SV that I sat in may years ago had sill covers in aluminium with Bertone logo on them.
The Jota was the racing version of the Miura. I am not saying that your model is a Jota. It's definately The Bertone Panther. Just I am sure I've seen a roof mounted spoiler on the Jota. The Jota was built in 1970.
Regards Allan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts