SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm surfing around the other day, and come across The Motor Racing Circuits Database, a relatively complete database of racing circuits around the world, including diagrams of both past and present configurations. (If I'm duplicating a link that's already been given out around here, please accept my appologies.)

I browsed around for a bit for some layout ideas, but had to stop and take a peek at Riverside in Califronia. I've always been fond of that place, as dad spent some time as a track official out there way back when.

Seeing the plan, I just HAD to try to recreate it. Granted, I'll likely never build it (though the garage IS big enough...barely...and I DID take it over with a railroad once...of course, the wife thought I was nuts, so I might not want to push that envelope again
) but I did wonder just how close I could come.

So, simply to stir up some conversation, and hopefully get to know a few of you better, I submit the following:

Design and post THE track you'd build if you had the space and funds. Doesn't have to be a model of an existing raceway if you wish.

Below is my submission, the 2004 Road Course at Riverside, in a 33 x 17 room.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Most 1:1 tracks don't scale down into great 1:32 tracks, even if you have the space. You need to make many concessions. Slot cars don't behave the way real cars do and the track needs to reflect that. My aim for my new track is to take key elements (or at least some inspiration, even if I'm the only one who will notice) from many of my favourite tracks around the world, and blend and massage them into a good design for a slot track. Places like Spa, Laguna Seca, Mosport, Nurburgring, Imola, etc.

Hmmm.... Spalagmosnurbimola.... kinda rolls off the tongue...

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
QUOTE (Fergy @ 5 Jan 2005, 18:33)Hmmm.... Spalagmosnurbimola.... kinda rolls off the tongue...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'd better hope so! Otherwise I'd suggest a course of Anti-biotics.

Spa! As long as Gunther built it for me!

Mr.M

·
Gary Skipp
6,533 Posts
Fergy has made a good point about 1:32 performance and how tracks should be designed to cater for how slots perform, not entirely based on 1:1.

For me however,a 'home track' would be a scenic thing, I wouldn't care how it drives, as long as it does drive.

Club curcuits are designed for racing and performance so I dont feel I'd need to incorperate that into my home layout. Even if it was huge.
Not the case for everyone I know, not everyone has a club to go to.

Makes this a rather pointless comment in hindsight

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree completely...I can't think of a single 1:1 track that would scale down well to 1:32, even if you had the space to do a true 1/32 scale. (Ok...maybe the oval at Indy...)

And certainly, our cars don't behave like...well...cars, so even if you COULD scale the track down, the challenges/rewards of the real track would differ greatly.

Also, absolutely concessions have to be made. I think ANY hobby that models real world places/things (Be it model railroading, slot cars, or doll houses) has to make SOME concessions...of course, that brings up the whole "Should it LOOK right or be an exact scale replica?" argument, and I KNOW from reading archives we don't need to go there.

I'm inclined to agree with LMP...for me, if I did it, it would be more of a scenic thing. A circuit that, at least to a recognizeable degree, resembles an actual circuit (as I believe my Riverside model does) would be an entertaining home circuit, regardless of whether it brought out the best performance from the cars.

But, as I said...I was just curious about folks' "dream tracks"...doesn't have to be a model of a real one. Was just an oppportunity for me to stir up some conversation, and learn a bit about some of you folks.
besides, it let me submit what I thought was a cool link. *heh*

I WOULD like to see a few designs of some of the tracks mentioned...would be interesting (to me at least) to see how recognizeable some of the layouts could be made.

·
Registered
90 Posts
"Makes this a rather pointless comment in hindsight."

Gotta agree with you there, Gary.

I have been dreaming of Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI. I have been to the track several times, for all kinds of races, and love the undulating hills it runs through. Sorry, I am not sure how to reproduce a track drawing on the forum for you, but I have custome designed a 33 X 20 foot layout on paper. The problem is unless I hit the Lotto I could never justify spending the money on a layout that big!

Perhaps, a 20 X 15 footer could be squeezed into my two car garage.

Love thinking about this kind of thing!

Zippideedoda

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm keen to build a version of Monza from the big "double lap" era where they took the existing track & the big banking to complete a lap.

The other one I'd have thought would be ok for slotcars would be Suzuka? There's a bunch of different corners to make you work a bit and some bloody big fast bits. with all those orners I'd imagine an analog or a digital circuit would be quite rewarding?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would love to build the Daytona Road course in this configuration using Carrera Pro-X Digital - need a 23' x 12' space to build it though. I'm buliding a smaller version using the 2/30 banked curves that came with the Pro-X set. Unfortunately it will be a rug layout, nothing permanent.
I'll post pics when I have it up.

I know it doesn't rank up there with the classic tracks but I always liked the Daytona course because of the high speed bits on the Nascar portion mixed in with the twisties on the infield.

·
Administrator
9,905 Posts
Funny, when I think about the ideal slot track, I don't think of real race courses at all... Tried that many years ago, since I was impressionable like all kids, but it wasn't all that practical or interesting to duplicate a real course. (except Riverside in HO, which wasn't bad).

My first thought was the old ARRA club track, with the scenary painted by Walkden Fisher. And then I thought of a Blue King or Engleman....

But of course, the best of both worlds is the MESAC club track, from the 60s & 70s, with switches that let them set up 8 different tracks in one....
Don

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi ,
My prefered track is Cataluña Spain (Montmelo) , and I'm building it at this moment (mixed Scx and scalectrix)
17,70meters both lanes , track base 5,50, / 1,40

Will post pictures when more avanced

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Couple of nice tracks there, guys...I especially like the Daytona road course mock up.

And Don, I don't think any of us mean to suggest "duplicating" a real track...but rather simply giving a modeler's interpretation of it. I haven't checked hart's track, but I expect it makes some concessions...I know my Riverside model above does.

I think it's more about getting the "flavor" of a particular circuit. I know when I did the MRR thing, one of my biggest thrills was being able to walk up to a layout and say "gee, that looks like XYZ during the so-and-so period, and seeing the look on the modler's face when he/she realized that their hard work had paid off.

Same thing here...I wouldn't dream of recreating Riverside...but I'd like to think that I could build a layout that was at least recognizable as "Riverside-esque"

Besides..like i said above...I just wanna know what your dream layout is. Doesn't have to be a real circuit at all.

/gb

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi,

I'm new here, and a beginner in this hobby.

I would like to add that my fav track to build would be "Sebring" as I find it in '101 Track Plans' by Scalextric. I've always been interested in Sebring as a real track, so making a slot car track of it would really be something.

4 lanes. Yay!

/BB

·
Registered
911 Posts
id like to see somehting allong the lines of a heavely detailed rally stage. something realy long (200m+) with trees, rocks, jumps, all the landscaping, and have it mix fast long forrset sections with tight twisty town sections and stuff. that would be realy good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I plan on building a 1/32 Fiorano in the new house, routed three laner. IMO Fiorano is the perfect track to slotify because it's short to start with and has little in the way of trackside buildings. It's also one of the few tracks with a fly over. The biggest problem will be getting the 1/32 Tifosi to let me run Porsches on it.

I'm building a big railway station that will be "Zuffenhausen", so if they want access to rail transport for parts etc they'll have to learn to share.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
QUOTE (oldtamiyaphile @ 11 Jan 2005, 06:13)I plan on building a 1/32 Fiorano in the new house, routed three laner. IMO Fiorano is the perfect track to slotify because it's short to start with and has little in the way of trackside buildings. It's also one of the few tracks with a fly over. The biggest problem will be getting the 1/32 Tifosi to let me run Porsches on it.

I'm building a big railway station that will be "Zuffenhausen", so if they want access to rail transport for parts etc they'll have to learn to share.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds very nice! Do you have any pictures of your project?

Cheers

gunther

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (Skeeter @ 11 Jan 2005, 02:48)id like to see somehting allong the lines of a heavely detailed rally stage. something realy long (200m+) with trees, rocks, jumps, all the landscaping, and have it mix fast long forrset sections with tight twisty town sections and stuff. that would be realy good.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's über!

Sounds really really good.

/BB

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.