SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
3,814 Posts
QUOTE (Gareth @ 12 Jan 2012, 12:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is there a performance advantage to be gained from running a larger hub with a lower profile tyre over a smaller hub with a larger diameter tyre?
If running strong traction magnets, yes.

The stronger the traction mags, the more pressure on the tyres - and if they squash, you run the risk of the car bottoming-out, the arm heating up and the car slowing down. That's all bad news, plus the car components will wear out quicker.

In that case, larger hubs and thin tyres are better than just bigger tyres. A good idea is also to go for the hard 'B' compound Supertires (in the club shop) or use stock rubber tyres - the SCD SRTs run well on these.

· Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Sorry, no fastest lap times from Wednesday - it was all a bit too hectic at the end

With Trackmate we can do stuff like that easier. Hopefully February or March...

But I think we are getting into tail-ender Pro-Mod territory.

Personally, I think the successful road to understanding this is to change one thing at a time. You might get the tyres right but the gearing wrong, but if you did both, you'd be none the wiser. Development at this end of the speed spectrum is a patient process, but one worth doing right.

· Premium Member
3,814 Posts
QUOTE (Gareth @ 13 Jan 2012, 12:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lucky Bob only has the coloured Quicker hubs so green for .300. Any other stockists?

BSRT do .300" rims. But I reckon the Quicker hubs are more versatile and the colours a good reminder of what OD you're running

I'd try .275", .290" and .300" rims with .418" or .422" Tyco 'B' compound Supertires. See what works. Going too high is also a disaster at those speeds...

You could compare distance travelled in 3 minutes at EAHORC pro-mod and WHO Mod. Our track lengths are approximate, but I do have a gizmo that AndySlots built that I could use quickly at the beginning or before we break up the track.

John's MR-1 is very quick with the lexan shell, but I suspect Martin has got that car within a micron of it's ultimate potential. I think the Life Likes and Tycos will go faster. I might even do it with the Mega-G

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.