Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
popped my head in the door to do a new house inspection and found two small boys racing a new Batman motorcycle across the floor and stepping over all of this.

No chance of getting a straight answer in Oz!

So... some pics?

My apologies for clogging up a slot car site. Just looking for some where to ask a question.
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
As they say - "I had one of those when I was a kid - wonder what happened to it?"

It is a Hornby 'O' guage clockwork train set. The poor family's version of the proper electric one - sold in their hundreds of thousands up till the late 50s.

The electric ones are seriously valuable but the clockwork ones less so I would imagine.

No doubt there are some on ebay if you want an idea of value.

Brian

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My judgement £200 to £300 for the loco and wagons but it could be more. Its difficult to tell from the smallish images of the rolling stock. Some wagons are far more collectable than others. The track will fetch no money.

Go to www.vectis.co.uk and have a look at some of the auction prices for Hornby O gauge collectables. Its an interesting site and you could sell the goods through Vectis and they will give you a guide price. If you send Vectis good quality pictures by email they will put some sort of guidence on it for you for their auction.

With better pictures you could have a more accurate valuation. Its down to the condition of everything at the end of the day.

Brian is right about the loco and if it is a good or near mint condition electric Hornby 0 gauge loco and tender then it could well exceed £200 on its own but I think it is a clockwork judging by the track so it could be anything from £50 to £200.

And I would not go along with Brian on using Ebay as a guide. The problem is the folk who are interested in this type of collectable are the older generation who don't necesarily use the internet and so prices on Ebay can be a bit on the low side. I use Ebay to buy Hornby-Dublo items not to sell. Its better selling good quality Hornby O gauge and Hornby-Dublo through auction houses and toy fairs where you get serious silver fox collectors gathering.

Moped

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Hi UK,
Mope is a bit optimistic in his valuation. This set, produced from 1952 to 1966 and in similar condition generally brings only about 40 to 50 BSP at most auctions. To bring 200.00 to 400.00 would require the items to be unused in a near perfect original red box with the colorful sticker in its center and two gentlemen really wanting it in the same room.
Train collectors dismiss these wind-up sets, so only nostalgic ex-children would pick these up on emotion, and they are all over the place.
Regards,

Dr. Pea

1 - 5 of 5 Posts