SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Excellent Gary!
I have thought for some time we need to talk through the whole 'Classic' structure.
A long time ago, when I was quite a young member of the Vintage Motorcycle Club, they had a rolling 'Post Vintage' section that allowed all machines into the club at their 25th birthday. The Vintage and Veteran sections were set dates, so did not alter.
It seems you could argue for a similar policy to cover Slot car race classes, but does that mean one body (CSCRA) should be responsible for defining what models qualify and in which class or catorgory they fit??
One of the problems that the CSCRA class year range avoided (until very recently) was the fact you could not run an 'out of the Box' tuned up slightly Slot It model, because group 'C' models are to late to qualify. This may now come under pressure due to NSR making reasonable 'Scale' early GT models that do qualify for the later GT class of CSCRA rules.
It has always been OK to use an HRS under a suitable body, but as soon as a very near standard model with a motor upgrade can make most of the scratch builds look ordinary...why bother scratchbuilding?.
Any year range over about 15 years old could be descibed by someone as 'Classic' but I don't think one body or group should have to lay down rules to take into account all of the models and classes that would bring into play.
Cheers Bill.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Coop.
All fair comment.
The Slot It Ferrari and Alfa models have been around for a while, but we have had very few meetings for this later class of CSCRA Sports/GT events to use them. It is also very obvious, these little models are scale correct and so...little!
The recent excellent Yorkley meeting held at Mike Wall's home, gave me the opportunity to run the NSR mk4 Ford model.
It was one of the swiftest cars around that track, and there were some of the best Scratchbuilt models pesent!
It is not exact scale, but quite close enough to most peoples eye to pass as a reasonable model. It fits all the dimensional rules of the CSCRA Class, and is out of the box extremely quick. Very well suited to smaller tracks as is, but could be easily modified to cope with the quicker gloss circuits. I take your point that few of the current regular CSCRA 'Gentlemen' will ditch their brass chassis, but we have to hope we can get a few more regulars to these events, some of them will have no model building background, and if an RTR car is quicker than anything they could ever build... as per my first post...why bother?
This won't be a 'problem' short term because, frankly, we are not getting the turn out to let any of this worry us!!
Regards Bill.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.