SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Gary Skipp
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Mick's post in the other thread exlaining about the 1972 and 1976 cut-off dates made me think about what a 'classic' racing car actually is.

I'm obviously one of the younger participants in CSCRA events, but personally speaking theres a whole load of cars between 1972 and the present day that I would consider to be classic cars that seemingly have nowhere to race unless your local club has a niche slot for them (none of mine do).

As an example only, Group C sports prototypes have to be classic cars by now, do they not? An example only, mind, because Slot.it have done a pretty good job tidying up that particular plateau of car and many clubs do run a class for these as RTRs.

Mick mentioned that Grp 5 saloons were discouraged from the current regulations. Fine, they don't fit with the other cars. But why not race them seperately? Who wants to argue that a Grp 5 saloon is not a classic car?

In the 1:1 racing world, the 2009 Silverstone Classic held a race for Supertouring saloon cars from the early 1990's. They're pretty new compared to Cortinas, but I'd see no reason why they can't be considered classic cars. They are 20 years old now, after all. The North London rules weren't written yesterday, perhaps its time to consider the 'newer' classic cars when it comes to establishing standards or running events.

Mick also mentioned that that some people felt there are too many classes allready. What is the background behind this, please? Surely it is up to the event organiser to pick the class he wants to run (or not, ie Wolves do their own thing). There is no obligation to run every class at your event, so what does it matter how many there are?

·
Gary Skipp
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Coopdevil @ 16 Jul 2010, 17:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To be honest, I suspect much of the interest in CSCRA/Wolves retro is simply because a lot of people in British slotcar racing like 50s and 60s racing cars and aren't as fussed by later ones. Arguments that "an XR3 is retro" won't hold as much water as "917s are retro" not matter what the cut-off year moves to.

Undoubtedly so. But without being grim, this won't be the case forever.

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. I think Owen you make the very good point that the CSCRA standards are to be viewed as guidlines and adapted to whatever one pleases. Perhaps taking this view would avoid the whole pub argument which may follow, but until somebody taks the inititive to do something with them then I will still feel a little lost when looking at some of the cars on my shelf.

I'd put on my own event, indeed have thought about it many many times, but the fact is that there is allready enough slotracing out there. In the last couple of years especially it has boomed, I don't particularly want to fight for a spot on the calander and rob everybodies wives of another one of those toy car weekends. That said I've seen my friends around me do it successfully so perhaps it isn't as difficult as it may appear.

Lets see what some of the crowd have to say over the next few days.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.