Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been bought motors from a few places and the fastest I have found are at Ken O Racing. I wanted to know if anyone else had some places they really liked, because I want to buy some motors from different places and compare them. I mostly race Super 16D, but occasionally I will race GP-12 Thanx!

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Are you looking for straight out of the packet standard motors?
If you want something a bit quicker you could either rebuild it yourself or pay a motor builder to do it for you.
About the only thing you cannot do yourself is rebalance the arm - several suppliers that can do that - Won O Won in the UK plus others in the USA and Czech republic.
If you are looking for a UK motor builder, try Won O Won or BSP
If you aren't in the UK, guess there will be some builders near to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was not looking for stock motors. Actually Ken O Racing does all of the motor building. That is why I wanted to know if there was anyone else that builds motors that go as fast as his.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
hi, if you want a big bang for small bucks and your not bothered about classes, parts express in the usa have got a group 20 motor for about £24 this should turn in the region of 90,000rpm that should give you some power to play with. cheers john.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up RR,

Shunting the brushes is the application of a short length of fine braid from brush to lead-wire tag.

This avoids possible bad connectivity tween brush-hood and brush when the brush-spring is insulated.

vbr Chris A.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
iv,e just had a thought! you use KEN O racing for parts same as me, well he does a hawk6 motor[fc-130 size] with neos and a hood that allows you to run a ball bearing full size brushes and clearance for a full size com. he,s also got arms for these mini motors grp12 ect and velociraptor drag arms[that run .69s in the states] send him an email with what you,d like to do and i,m sure you,l get what you want at a good price. the hawk6 is about £10 the group12 arm about £24 then brushes springs ball bearing-s? and shunts?. the best part is his postage about £3-4 from usa to here. i bought a hawk 7 and spare arm and he skimmed the coms no charge before he sent them. a couple of hawk6s are on there way to me now. you can buy neos from abslotsport or parts express that fit the 13uo cans the johnston 111 from the early scaleys ect.. rewind the arms and you,ve got a killer rebuildable motor. cheers john.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The primary reason for a shunt is to provide a path for the current to flow to the brush via the shunt and not the spring. This is to prevent the spring acting as a heating element and loosing its temper ( springiness(.For an extreme illustration of using a spring to pass electric current we have the humble electric fire.To ensure the spring is not carrying the current a piece of teflon tube is used between the spring and the brush. Fitting shunts in a tidy manner is generally regarded as the most impenatrable of the black arts, installed by many but mastered by few.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts