SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where do i start in slot drag racing? id like a car, i like the look of the vintages, but dont knwo where to get one from

·
Registered
800 Posts
You pull up to the line in front of the tree. The first yellow staging light comes on to show you're almost on the line then the second staging light illuminates to show your front tires are now on the line. Prepare the car for launch when the opponents car is fully staged then wait for the flagman to trip the lights. If it's a pro tree you launch when you see yellow. If it is a regular tree you leave on the last yellow. I'd suggest driving around the water if you're running street tires and do NOT heat the tires. Hot street tires are slippery unless you're running gummies.

Oh, that's slot drag racing. Just choose a car and have at it. You won't be using anything but the original body anyway.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
.... and avoid hot-rod Lincolns....

sorry... this post has nothing to do with the original question...

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE where do i start in slot drag racing

We have some sweet dresses and cute high heeled FMBS just for this drag racing lark over here at Swiss Race Bahn.

Oxfam shops are your best bet for a start!

·
Registered
71 Posts
We just started adding the timing sensors to our drag strip.

If you are doing 1/32 you are pretty much on your own. If you are doing 1/24, there are timing sytems, class rules, and a couple of associations (SDRA and UDRA?) here in the US that will give you as bunch of info. I recommend the latter.

I didn't realize how big it still was here, until we started building the track! Anyway for 24th scale there are a bunch of model kits available, and Parma and others do a bunch of chassis, gears, tires, controllers etc. They even have complete kits.

Space? You'll need a lot. Ours is 35' long and is still 2 feet short in the shutdown area. The shutdown isn't braided. It has thick track glue on it. The power is a BIG truck battery. The top class of car when two race together will pull MASSIVE amps, like car starter motor current. The first two feet of braid will only last a few months of racing because this takes all of the juice.

If you wnat to know more, there is a guy (Wayne1) who posts on the HSARC forum, and has been slot drag racing for years. He will answer any questions you have.

·
Registered
316 Posts
This is where I started and how far Ive got...

Slot Drag racing dosent seem much of a hit in the UK, I dont know of any where that does it, but I ventured over to Florida 3 years ago for a holiday - When there I took in a "model" shop, and found a 1/32 top fuel plastic static model, of a Budweiser car.... Cant remember which one now.... Its packed away in the loft....

Ive started building it up - Sprayed the body - built up the chasiss - and Im not far from getting it to a stage where it'll be a runner.... no pics yet Im afraid - Its in a box in the attic, waiting for us to move...)

I am planning to put a drag strip up the loft eventually - Ive already done the research and found a lighting tree- Ds timers etc - at Pendle, so all good to go...

Still have to make a few decisions on this TF dragster tho? Do I run with the plastic chassis that comes with the kit - or a do a make up a wire frame chassis myself - more rigidity.... Having not got a working car yet - Im convinced the plastic chassis will warp and trist a bt under acceleration...

I then have to run a few decisions on what wheel set up to use... Im thinking along the lines of using a slot it chasis from a Toyota GT1 (cut down) to the width of the Body.... cut in half just in front of the engine mountings - moving the guide end forward to between the front wheels... There for I can run 1/32 wheels - and have it look like a junior dragster that I saw on Motors TV the other night.

Or I can run scale wheels - but Im a bit confused about sizes of wheels, axle size etc...Ive seen a web site that does wheels etc for slot dragsters, but theres so many choises of wheels/ axle sizes/ off sets - Im stumped...

Ive still got to make an engine choice... Its gonna be inline - as thats what will fit in the body.... but what ever motor... I do not expect the finished car to pull any wheelies of the line ... I guess that would depend on who much grip it can get and what the track surface will be.... yet to decide on Plaxi track or a wood one....

I guess its still along term project but thats where Im at.....

one day..

CoolS

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've only seen a few of these drag cars but they were all wire frame vehicles with wheelie bars being an integral part of the chassis. There is software available online for timing and I've seen the christmas trees online too.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Here is a guide to slot drag racing that may be of interest.

These things are F-A-S-T.... The top 1/24th scale AA/FC cars cover a scale quarter mile in 0.426 seconds and do 127.65 mph....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts