SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've finally decided to get some new hand controllers for my scalextric sport set, coz the standard ones are driving me crazy!! (on/off and not responsive) After reading some more advice on other topics, I was gonna get maybe some Redfox 40 ohm or more ideally Professor motor controllers.

I've been browsing quite a few websites without a lot of luck, including those through the shopping hyperlink in this forum. I am not a big fan on mail-orders or online shopping, I'd prefer actually going into a shop personally. How do you guys shop normally? This might sound a bit stupid, but are most of you guys from the UK? I live in Oxford and I don't mind travelling about (give me an excuse to drive), if there are any good shops around. I'd be very grateful for any suggestion.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Ahem. You live in Oxford? Check out the link in my signature - you are welcome to come and play with us (although this week we are going to get all political before we race, yawn).

As for slot shopping in Oxford I'm afraid online is pretty much your only option for complicated trick items like controllers (you could come over to Ramsden one evening and try my selection of various resistors in Parma throttles). For the bread and butter stuff, i.e. cars; then Boswells department store in the city carries Scaley only; Dentons in Witney (I think there is another branch in Didcot) carries Scaley and was rumoured to be contemplating A.N. Other brand a while ago but I don't know if they followed through on that one; but the permanent model railway exhibition over in Bourton-on-the-Water (think we are in Gloscestershire now) used to carry a healthy mix of Scaley, Fly, SCX and Cartrix - but keep funny business hours before the tourist season kicks in, twice recently when I went over with intent, they were shut!

Oxfordshire is a bit of a slot oasis, as you may have already found out. For me, shopping is pretty much all done online or at swapmeets. I'd really like to support my local dealers but they don't carry anything I want.

Final pitch for our club is that we get a discount on most items with one of the online retailers.

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
QUOTE (Wankel Ickx @ 20 Mar 2004, 23:52)- but keep funny business hours before the tourist season kicks in, twice recently when I went over with intent, they were shut!
We have this problem in Petersfield, but it doesn't get any better in the tourist season

Mr.M

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Lancashire!...NAA..NAA...NAA, Lancashire..Naa...Naa...Naa

Ahem... Mr. Yamaha type person! Wankel's offer is too good to pass up. At least you can try before you buy, and then at club discount. You win on both counts I reckon - the help and social aspect of the club and its relationship with the retailers.

Mark.
'93 TDM 850 pilot. Different league but still a Yam!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
All over, via the Internet, swap meets and occasionally drive to one of the dedicated Slot car shops.

I highly recommend that you grab a mate (pref another slot car enthusiast - otherwise they would never forgive you
) and make a journey to one of the slot car stores.

Recently visited MRE, Gary was very welcoming spent 90 mins browsing/talking, service was excellent, and was made thoroughly welcome.

Nothing beats actually viewing the cars before deciding...

One day hope to revisit Barcelona (fantastic place).

Jamie.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you want to know slot car stockists in your area, telephone 01903 884321 and tell them you are looking for a shop in your area, give them your postcode and they will help.

Aaron

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Wankel,

Thanks for inviting me over to your club, that sounds real cool! I can't wait to come along. I guess this will be a good way to learn more about slot cars and to meet some enthusiasts! Can you tell me when and where your club meetings are?

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Henley Model Miniatures
24, Reading Rd
Henley-On-Thames Oxfordshire
RG9 1AG

Tel: 01491 572684

my local shop - scalextric, fly, scx, ninco, carrera cars, not so much in the way of controllers, usually internet/mail-order for that sort of thing

·
Registered
265 Posts
I shop mostly at Professor motor (in town) and at one other full-line hobby shop also in town. To anyone considering the purchase of Professor Motor controllers, I can tell you they are well worth the expense and are light years ahead of scalextric controllers. Your fingers will thank you.

Harry

·
Matt Tucker
3,560 Posts
If you decide to go down the Prof Motor controller route then you will find they are not easy to get hold of from the UK. When I sourced mine I went to the manafacturer in US but you need to account for postage and import duties (17.5% vat plus post office £10 surcharge - you might not get caught).

I advised GetSlotted (based in B'ham so not too far away from oxford) to stock them and they bought in a load of the PM standard Scaly/Nicnco controllers so now you can get them in the UK.

Matt

·
Registered
89 Posts
A little controller advise.

Think about how you will be using them. At home or at a club? Both?

With your set's PS and track connections, or a custom connection?

I have tried scaley set controllers, carrera thumb type, (the electronic, red ones), Parma econos,45 and 25 ohm, and PM.

Kids, adults, just your personal controller?

US, $25, the Parmas have 3 wires and can have any plug, and you can cut the wires and add any connection you like. perfectly adequate, choose the resistor for your preffered motor/magnet. Definately an upgrade from scaley set controllers. Cheap, maybe a good to start with and for kids or if you need 4. And seem to be pretty rugged, we used them a lot on my classic layout.

PM, start at US $50, can come with any plug, pretty much works with any car, mag no mag, any motor. 3 wires and can have any connection you may need. Highly recommended. You could buy one loaded for $150 for yourself, and one for $50 for your guests, and they will still have a better controller than most anyone else.
Highly recommended.

Carrera, probably only practical for a carrera layout, but I like the thumb controller, and out of the box much better than those scaley set controllers.

Then there is the new fly controller, and even more expensive ones, too numerous to account for here, and I have not personaly tried them.

If you order from the US, I would order multiple units, or some more accesories, tires etc. Despite taxes and so on, you will save a little on shipping. I order liquer from Spain, and cars from the UK, and I always order 2 or 3 , it costs about the same to ship as one unit, so you can save a little.

Maybe the club will have several you can test, or even one of the retailers within driving distance.

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
QUOTE (jonny s @ 22 Mar 2004, 22:17)Suddenly it`s gone very dark and the wind blows the tumble weed down Petersfield high street....
Jonny, you've obviously been there!

Mr.M

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Scott you are the Petersfeild tourist. Me and Mr M. get special "not from around these parts tickets" issued by the local council to allow us to enter the town.

If anyone without these special tickets tries to drive into town with the thought of buying slotcars at the phone booth (also known as folly models) then a emergency phone calls goes to the booth and it is shut down and the fake sign "back in five years" is put on the door.

I once got past the security screen by dressing as an old age pensioner, popping in to the post office first, then slowly walking in to the parade. I was later told that Geoff thought i was his younger brother!

The only other way to buy in Petersfield is to go racing on the third Wednesday of June on a leapyear and wear a red flower!

Gareth

PS can't race Wednesday - sorry - Jim you will have to score - again!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.