SlotForum banner

Where To Buy From? Decisions, decisions,

5K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  Robert Davies 
I was in town today on business and popped into my local hobby shop. This guy sells die-cast, slots, trains and war gaming kit.

I looked at the Revell Monogram Greenwood #76 Sebring Vette. A stunning car that I wouldn't mind getting. The Hobby shop was asking 56.50 euros.

Now my favourite on-line shop sells this for 44.17 euros and if you take off my discount and add transport it comes to about 46 euros.

I don't need after sales service; I know more about slot cars than the hobby shop guy; If it breaks, I'll repair it or order replacement parts; I don't have allot of cash to spend right now.

Which one should I go for

Oops, nearly forgot, the on-line shop is in the UK, yet I am in continental Europe. Does that or should that make a difference

I've said this before, I can't remember where... I was chased out of my local hobby shop in Wimbledon Broadway when I was 11 years old. I used to do allot of window shopping and 'only looking' in those days. I think it was called LR Richards. Shame on you and no wonder you're out of business today. Look after the youth! In general, hobby shops are good places, but please don't knock the online people. GetSlotted, Pendles, Slot City and Slot32, to name a few in the UK are dedicated slot shops that are able to advise people and offer a realy good prices over a large and ever-changing range of products. These guys are, in my opinion, are the backbone of the hobby today.

I'm surprised to see what rr3.9 says. The Scalextric prices are higher in the UK like the Fly prices. Fly I can figure out as there are more links in the chain for the UK market.

Looking at the Lister Storm LMP, in Alloy it's 29.50€ (£19.50) and UK it's about £30, and in France it's 45€ (£30 too).

On Alloy there is a C3 L-88 going for 8€ - sure it's probably a loss leader, but who in the UK is doing anything like that?

I can only assume that these guys get Scalextric shipments directly from Taiwan and they order in bulk. If this is not true and anybody can correct me, then I'll be happy to modify this statement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.