SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Got these 2 cars from my uncle. They run terrible, and look like a plastic toy!

So i was thinking of re-painting them, and giving them new decals! But what car is it? And does anyone have a picture of its decals?

Morten

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
They are certainly Lotus 40's. I don't know enough about old RTR slot cars to help with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
446 Posts

This is a pic of a Tamiya Lotus 40 model converted into a slot car just to help you with colours. Pattos place makes a body for one as well.

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Certainly Lotus 40, and they do appear to be Fleischmann. I would suggest you don't interfere with them, they are collectable items.
Alfetta

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
Of course they are Fleischmann Lotus 40s. They normally run very well, so I am sure that these have something mecahnically wrong...
I don't know if they are really "collectible", because they were produced all the way into the 1980's... The beautiful little Alfa 33 is the pearl of Fleishmann cars.

QUOTE This is a pic of a Tamiya Lotus 40 model converted into a slot car just to help you with colours. Pattos place makes a body for one as well.

Mr. Max, the 1/24 scale Tamiya Lotus 40 as pictured was NEVER a static model, it ALWAYS was specifically a slot car kit, also sold as a slot car body kit. The big hump to clear the motor in the cockpit area is a pretty good giveaway...

Tamiya also had a now very rare 1/32 scale version of the Lotus 30. The body has now been re-issued (albeit quite differently underneath) as a static kit with rather poor detail for a Tamiya model.
Regards,

Philippe

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
These are Fleischmann Lotus 40's , easily the most common of the Fleischmann range, so common that I use them as a source of spare screens, mirrors, roll bars, etc for scratchbuilt jobs!
So don't worry about repainting them or whatever.
They should run smoothly but not ultra fast.
One thing to check is that the Fleishcmann guide is very wide, too wide for the slot on Scalextric track, so it may need thining down a little, or replacing with something else.

Hers is a (bad) picture of the Alfa 33,

You could also finish one in red, as raced by John willment, here's one I did for this years Bordeaux meeting, this is a Strombecker body.

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
I didn't say they are valuable (yet) Just kee on chopping them up and generally butchering them. That is what will probably make them both collectable and possibly Valuable
Alfetta

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
QUOTE And Betta make a 1/24 vaccie (please note- colour scheme not reliable)
Howmet, I love your car! I still HATE Betta bods, they look gross to me (just my opinion, I was raised on Lancers...)
I bet that this monster of a racing car would have scared the vocal cords out of Petula...

Here is the most famous slot car Lotus 40 of them all, also the one made in the greatest numbers:

They are cheap and very nice looking, but not quite accurate in shape. Actually, none really is of all the models offered in the 1960's... I'd say that there was a mix of "30" and "40" on most, and the 1/32 scale Strombecker appears to have captured the shape the closest.

Phil, your Alan Mann car is really nice, as usual.
Regards,

Philippe

·
Registered
773 Posts
..the Cox are nice, but you can't get this stuff here

I fear next time I'm in sunny California I've to visit one of the slotracing-legends
and will leave with tons of "widely available cars" because I always wanted to have them
and never had the chance to get them here in Europe - when they have been sold here I had not the funds
- and with the funds most of the scrap offered here is far to expensive!

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
QUOTE ..the Cox are nice, but you can't get this stuff here

Thomas,
Of course you can: E-Pay. There are some at very good prices on a weekly basis. Do not hesitate to purchase a car with nasty tires or decals, as long as the glass is clean. Even the rollbar can be remade from steel or brass rod. The exhaust can also be fashioned relatively easily. Electric Dreams sells high-quality replacement decals, spare windshields and headlight covers, NOS drivers and tires.
Hope you are doin' fine, the little C36 runs perfect!
Regards,

Philippe

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
QUOTE How often do those pretty Alfas come up, Phil?

Quite often. I purchased a MIB red one on E-Pay only 2 months ago for under $100.00. I see loose blue and red ones going for $70.00, $75.00, in fair and restorable shape. The little car is beautiful and my favorite Fleishmann with the Mercedes 280SL.

This Alfa 33 was also modeled by Russkit and slated for production, but it never happened. You may see the sole known surviving example on the left side of this picture:

The "other" Phil

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
If your looking for US cars in the UK I usually have most of the Cox range in stock and if I don't have what you need then Derek Cooper probably would have.
I will have them at Milton Keynes on Sunday
Check it out on
My Webpage

There is always a lot of sixties US stuff for sale at Slotmania in Stuttgart, next show is on the 30th Oct.

The F/mann Alfa is usually in stock as well , but I don't have one at the moment, Philippe is about right on prices, but expect to pay a lot more for a green one as it is quite rare.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts