SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which car that you own would you put in a museum display and why?

I am looking at all the rail and suitable slot cars to see which cars to take to Brooklands which led me to think the above.

Jeff.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I don't know if this is how you wanted it to be answered but no-one else seems to be replying...

I'd put in a display...

My Ninco Jordan F1 car. Because it was my first car that I ever won a race with.

My Ninco Mercedes CLK GTR from the British and Belgian Grand Prix of 2002, 2003 when I placed in the final.

My Ninco Mercedes CLK GTR from this years club racing, which was the car I used to notch up my first ever race evening win at my home club.

My Slot.It Audi R8C which I prepared for a 6 hour race this year which was used by my clubs team to dominate the race a win by miles.

But these are only cars which are important to me... can't think why anyone would want to look at any of my cars otherwise... they look the same as everyone elses...

McLaren

PS. There are others, I just can't think of them at the moment...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
This might sound a bit odd but I've seen it done to great effect at the Museum of Victoria here in Melbourne with Kid's toy collections. They have about four small rotating displays (about 2ft cube spaces). One might be full of gonks, one full of toy cars, one full of star wars figures - that sort of stuff.

As I understand it they just borrow kid's toy collections for a month. The kids write something about their collection & why the collection is important to them. The display changes every week in effect which keeps it fresh for the "punters" and relevant to today.

This works really well as what's being dealt with isn't necessarily an important enough nor an old enough topic to have a big display but it's damned important to those kids (or in our slot car case to us!
)

I don't know how many collectors you have locally but I wouldn't be suprised if people from all over the world would take great delight in lending part of their collection to the Brooklands museum for a month. Hell - I'd have my cars in the mail from Australia tomorrow!

Actually that has a real ring to it - how many people do we have on the forum? From how many different coutries? We'd all have (another) excuse to fly half way round the world to go look at Motor Racing Museums then!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Eno Dog,
You have got this just about right what is going to happen is I am going to lend the Museum 9 cars and the painting and a copy of the book for a display.

The painting will not be with the cars as these will be in a glass cabinet and should have a write-up what each car is and why it's important.

Now their is going to be an Australian rail car, Canadian rail car and Spanish rail car ect

So to answer the queston it can be any car you own that you would like see in a museum for a while that is important to you.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The devil in me wants to suggest the infamout Beckenham Brooklands Rolls Royce

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
My Airfix W154 4wd. That my then girlfriend (later wife) gave me after her trip to the 1964 Motor Show.

Alfetta

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Rail Racer, I know this doesn't necessarily help but I'd be the git that chooses the Fly Porsche 917K & Ferrari 512S Coda Lunga (cars from the 70's - not the models) and why? 'cause they're my current favourites! Who said history started the day before yesterday??

·
John Roche
4,202 Posts
I had the pleasure of visiting the Marconi Museum a couple of years ago, wonderful stuff that had me drooling.

For my own display I would use my scratchbuilds, my Marconi charity proxy entries, my rail car and those that I have built since. They may not be up to the standard of some of the builders here but they are a part of me.

Looking out the window reminds me that the scratcbuilding time of year is approaching.

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just one would do Philippe, but it would have to be one you built yourself. Their is one space still not decided and it would be most fitting for it to be filled by you.

Jeff.

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Jeff,
I think it should then be filled with a British-built pro-car, one of Rob Dominy as an example, or one of Bob Hallums or another top pro from the Tottenham days may be?
John Secchi may be able to help here. A British museum at Brooklands ought to have only British-built cars, no?

Philippe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Philippe,
The confirmed cars going on display already include Canadian Spainish and Australian built rail cars as I want this to represent slot racing worldwide.

Steve Francis is lending some British retro slots.

Best wishes,

Jeff.

·
Alan Tadd
4,035 Posts
Jeff I would display :-

1) A Scalextrix MG Lola, First of the detailed Scalextric cars

2) Fly Porsche 917K, Ferrari 512S, Lola T70 Mk IIIB, just because they started people buying slot cars again.

3) Slot.it New Man Porsche 956... Probably the best Mass produced Slot cars made.

4) All of Mac Pinch's Resin F1 cars, built by guest Constructors, EM, Russell Sheldon, etc.........

Oh and some of those old railcars you carry round with you in a suitcase!.

Regards

Alan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well Alan,
Some of the rail cars I showed you are going in and a couple more that are being built for the exhibition.

Their are no Fly or Scalextric cars or any other mass produced slot cars in the display.

Nearly everything will be scratch built, David is putting together a Slot Classic mock-up and building it into a slot car and their will be a MK resin car fron Sean.

Best wishes,

Jeff.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts