SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, last time I was curious about the average number of cars you get each month, now I'm curious abut value for money favourite slot car maker?

I go with Fly very good detail good quality...., what about you?

Cheers

Cesar

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Best value has to be Carrera without a doubt, in fact they are one of my fav anyway due to the quality.

Worst has to be Ninco and Scalextric tough cars, just a ridiculous price.

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
Here's another vote for Carrera.
Tom.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to be honest you both are right, I recently bought Carrera Porsche 917/30 Sunoco (Blue and yellow) and is very nice, well made, good detail for just £20 new, now I'm tempted to get Ford Capri, Porsche 935 and Ferrari 512 BB

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Cesar,

As you ask "value for money" maker it would have to be Carrera as they are good quality and cheaper than the other main manufacturers.

Fly are a favourite for their range of classic F1 cars but I would not call them good value for money.

Scalextric are also now quite expensive but I do like their historic F1 cars and modern F1 cars when they have the correct paint job for the model (year) of car.

Cheers,
Philip

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with you Philip, my first comment was influenced by the nice Fly classic range, plain value for money Carrera

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
The MB / Sloter white Lola I have was the best deal I ever found. Great looking car (needs paint),aluminum wheels and a super motor and runs fantastic. Shame they aren't available anymore....I think.

·
Mark
735 Posts
pretty much the same as above really, carrera are really good for the money u pay, just had some dtm's
might not be as quick as slot it's etc, but a wee bit of tinkering and they are just fantastic. scaley prices creaping up, not much cheaper than some slot it's. but carrera cars for 30 notes for the new ones its hard to complian. most cars i have are scaley, but most recent buys have either been scx or carrera. now i'm spent till near xmas
lol

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
I'll also add give the thumbs up to Carrera, they make some very interesting cars, are well detailed and nicely built and they still cost less than the majority of the 2012 Scaley super resistant range.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Hi, although the bulk of my collection is Scalextric, I would say the 2 brands I think are value for money are Pioneer and Revell-Monogram. The detailing on both makes is brilliant and is up there with Fly (possibly better? I think so) and they are priced at about the same as Scalextric. The build quality is brilliant, I have never had a problem with Revell (unlike Fly) and my only Pioneer fault was sorted by Jules in no time. The performance straight out the box is good, not the fastest but certainly respectable on my small Scaley Sport track. Also, unlike other manufacturers, both Revell and Pioneer give you historical information on the cars either on the box or in the box as a seperate card.

Matthew

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
From a 'home racer' point of view, it has to be Carrera, but from a 'club racer' point of view - it is Slot.it for me.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got 2 BMW 320 from Revell and a March 83, I couldn't race them yet cause I'm fixing my garage and the track is in boxes, but the detail is really good.

About performance out of the box some people complains about the tyre quality and the magnet (too strong), "issues" that can be fixed. I paid £20 for the new March and BMW and the used BMW I got it for £14.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,

Scalextric rules for sure.Latest cars are really fantastic, fast enough and handle well.Maybe a little more expensive but do not normally require modificationss to run on old classic track
I have tried Carrera and Auto Art( their detail is great) but they always require modificatons.Tyres,magnets guides etc
SCX is great except for the light problem.
Slot It go well but are not easy to get in South Africa
I have had bad experiences with Revell.
Ninco look good and are well made but are very expensive in this country.I have two go-carts.
FLY also go well but are hard to source in SA.

The problem though of buying from a variety of manufacturers is the big inventory of spares one has to have, to keep the cars roadworthy.So my collection is mainly Scaley and SCX.

Keep those thumbs fit and flexible

Bryan

·
Tel
4,065 Posts
I didn't even have to think about that, best VFM in my opinion is Slot.It, quality parts and fantastic models with great performance

·
David H
3,795 Posts
Carrera Analogue. Nothing else comes close in terms of value. Carrera Digital cars are too expensive though, which is a shame as they have some nice digital only liveries.

I must be in a minority when it comes to Slot.it, as I think they're overrated: paint and body finish is good, but worse than Carrera, Scalextric and SCX, and Slot.it's performance, whilst better, isn't a massive leap ahead of Carerra and SCX. Scalextric no-mag performance is horrendous.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
QUOTE (Dopamine @ 29 Feb 2012, 20:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Scalextric no-mag performance is horrendous.
Try the new Scalextric Corvette - I was pleasantly surprised that it runs really well out of the box with the (new thin and lowered) magnet removed - more like an SCX and a first for Scalextric for me - no weights & no truing and it was already properly greased.

Cheers
Chris

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Oh well ....... here goes, it's Scalextric for me.

Grabs coat and hides

·
Registered
203 Posts
SLOT.IT , well thought out design and quality and no need to throw away or replace parts to make them into decent race cars. They are smooth to drive and the gears are quiet!. Definitely the only brand cars I'll be buying from now on.

Although I am partial the odd Scalextric impact resistant car!, BUT - upgraded with all Slot.it parts and motor - so for this reason Scalextric looses its value for me.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
As ever, value for money depends on the depth of your pocket and what you want out of a car.

Slot.it cars are good on price for performance, but they simply don't make cars that I like. So they really don't make my list.

SCX is probably my favourite value for money. Great selection of cars covering most tastes. Good detailing. Adjustable magnet for those who like racing with them, and well balanced for those who run without.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts