SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you will probably know I'm about to build my Suzuka track, but I want to paint the track more grey than it is now (Scalextric basic black), as well as adding tire marks/rubber here and there for more realism.
What kind of paint should I use for this?

PS - I'm well aware that I should completely tape up the contact rails (or whatever we call them) before painting.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Reading your other thread Rikki you should be okay because you have modelling skills.
But Montoya is absolutely right, there have been plenty of messes created over the years!

It helps that your layout is going to be permanent.
It`s all down to personal choice at the end of the day. I wouldn`t do it simply because I`m a vintage collector who likes things to look original. Having said that, it does create a nice effect.
Why not buy a few second hand pieces of track & have a practice to see what shades of gray & paints takes your fancy?
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (loosesalute @ 25 Aug 2011, 20:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Reading your other thread Rikki you should be okay because you have modelling skills.
But Montoya is absolutely right, there have been plenty of messes created over the years!

It helps that your layout is going to be permanent.
It`s all down to personal choice at the end of the day. I wouldn`t do it simply because I`m a vintage collector who likes things to look original. Having said that, it does create a nice effect.
Why not buy a few second hand pieces of track & have a practice to see what shades of gray & paints takes your fancy?
Cheers,
Kev.

Yeah good point. The first time I ever painted and ballasted Hornby track, I built a tiny little layout in my living room/lounge.
Just a short straight with a single siding. This helped me practice doing it without clogging up the point blades with ballast and PVA glue. I would imagine painting Scalextric track is a lot less fiddly than that.

·
Greg Gaub
15,350 Posts
I believe the trick is properly preparing the track for good adhesion, and choosing a paint that won't peel or flake. Most of the time, I see people recommend cleaning/wiping with some kind of mild solvent to ensure that there are no residues on the surface, sometimes suggesting a light etching as well. Some people just clean with alcohol. Then, people will sometimes prime and then paint, or just use the primer as the final color (prior to decorating with skid marks, etc). I hear that 1/2" electrical tape makes a great mask without needing to cut it, or just use masking tape and a knife.
I've never done it myself, but have considered it. My main fear is the mess I'd make, and then that I'd end up with paint peeling or flaking. :\

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used the blue painters tape and a razor blade to cover the rails. I also went anal and decided to paint the slots as well. Turned out to be more of a waste of time in prep and paint as I had to go back through the slots to clean out paint goops/drips with a tongue depresser stick.

If you decide to use latex paint on your track, take your time removing the tape so as not to pull the paint from the track. Just run your razor blade along the rails to ensure the paint severs from the tape.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
I'm in the process of discussing this very issue with a resident paint expert.

The combination of coatings he has suggested is quite interesting:
Coat 1: Acrylic based plastic primer
Coat 2: Oil based primer/undercoat
Coat 3 & 4: 'Suede look' acrylic wall paint
Coat 5: (optional) Clear acrylic in desired finish (matt or satin)

His reason for including a layer of oil based paint among the acrylic was that it seems to 'lock' the matrix together and reduce flaking or peeling.

Another option was to delete Coat 2 and make the optional Coat 5 an oil based clear rather than an acrylic clear. Again, same result of locking the matrix together.

I can give you brand names if you desire, but I don't have them with me. Using the above combination the track paint shoul last 5 years or more of constant regular use.

Oh and A1 major important thing clean track with PREPSOL prior to attempting any paint. This will remove any treatments, tyre debris, oil, mould release agents or what-have-you that may reside on the track surface. Much simpler than melting it all with a lighter!

Embs

PS: Sorry Mel if this was all supposed to be Secret Squirrell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.