Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic recently sparked a long debate here. For some it was the point when they finally discovered spare parts and fine tuning for an old RX motor car like a Cooper or Lotus, for others it was the introduction of the closed bottomed F1 cars Like the Ferrari 312T3, and so on..............

For me, the Ferrari F1 '87. Low flexible body, low profile tyres, great turn of speed and finally a car that behaved fantastic straight out of the box..

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I was swayed from die-casts to slots by scalextric's GT40s and by my friend Hugs telling me that scalextric was ace, she had it as a kid... so I bought the GT40 set and the goodwood set. I strongly thought as I bought it the track if not everything would end up in a jumble sale, but the cars were gorgeous. Little did I know....

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Ninco Ueno Clinic sponsored Le Mans 1995 winner did it for me. A tidy model, for the time, and ran rings around my ancient Hornby cars.

Quickly upgraded the motor with an SCX can and she had some serious running down at Hurley, so much so that that motor is now, without doubt, the smoothest I own. Battle worn and battered she only comes out for special occasions but each time she does it makes it more of a special occasion.

It only seems to be at the rate of one a year but I'll never tire of McLaren F1 reissues. How about the Jacadi livery next?

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Two cars got me back into collecting and racing Slot cars.

Too many years ago me and a mate borrowed the local Scout hut and set up a huge two lane circuit with loads of bits from when we were kids plus several set boxes 'purchased' from Toy R Us (then promptly returned on Monday!).

We started racing all the old cars we had from the seventies and early eighties and got board!

We then went and bought a few more cars to race.

Scalextirc/Exin SRS F1 cars (Ferrari C19) Still have it!

and for a laugh (at the time) a Power and Glory Bentley 4L.

The SRS car made me realize that things must have moved on since we last played and the Bentley made me think there must be loads of nice cars to collect.

17 years and 1500 cars later I'm still hooked and I now can't stand racing the SRS 'Crisp packets' when they get picked. The Bentley - never saw a race again and now sits with an original green and black version and a Spanish blue version.

Gareth
NSCC

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think it started with the Scalex RS1600... and was finally nailed completely by the Scalex Audi Quattro....

Many hundreds of cars and laps later
)

My latest acquisition, the TeamSlot Stratos, has done nothing to diminish my enthusiasm.

-Rob

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
After the bass player in my band and I purchased a Scalextric F1 set in the mid 60s, I didn't buy another actual Scalextric car until about 5 years ago when I bought ANOTHER Scaley F1 set!

The cars that actually grabbed me were a pair of Revell kits bought shorty after that first F1 set, all those years ago. The addiction was properly sealed on the acquisition of a Monogram F1 Ferrari kit, in the late 60s.
That car was simply wonderful - wish I had a spare body for it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Originally it was the "KOTZTING" Brabham racing car that got me started (late 80's?) than the scalextric got boxed up and forgotten about - years later they brought out the GT-40's and I decided I had to get back into the hobby!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Me and Scalextric have gone through three distinct moments:-

1) I had the now apparently quite rare Tiger/TR4A set bought for me when I was far too young to appreciate it and I think it got boxed away very quickly afterwards.

2) The Super Formula cars came out which got me interested in Scalextric. I was bought the Lotus 72 and Ferrari 312B2. At roughly the same time my Mum and Dad bought me a load of Scalextric stuff from a family friend that included pit buildings, grandstands...etc, etc. The Tiger/TR4A set got mixed up in it and I look back in horror at the awful shiny red paint job and chequered flag side stripes the Tiger got. The whole collection was sold in 1981 or 82 by me to a bloke at work.

3) I thought Scalextric was dead. I couldnt recall seeing a christmas advert since the Mini's taking off over that huge hump back bridge. I assumed that it was just another toy that had been obsoleted by computer games. Then, last year I saw a pic of the MG Lola and couldnt quite believe my eyes. Next opportunity I went to the local Co-Op that still has a toy Dept and saw the new breed of Scalextric with my very own eyes. Well, that did it, next thing I knew I had bought the red GT40 from Get Slotted and a Fly 917 and Lola T70 off Derek Cooper. Shortly afterwards I picked up a Le Mans Sport set off Ebay and am now putting the finishing touches to my home circuit after persuading the girlfriend that we didnt need a dining room.

So, in a round about way I am saying, the MG Lola was the car that got me hooked !!!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
When I was still a little boy, it was the Ferrari 312T and the Porsche 935 from the same era.

When I got back to Scalextric buying a BTCC set, it was the Group C cars (especially the Jag and the Sauber) which amazed the most.

And then I discovered Ninco with their McLaren GTR and Porsche GT1.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had a F1 set in the early 80's , lots of extra track and took over the folks loft.
Then fell out of my scalextric love affair late 80's due to the Commodore Amiga

But those childhood days of racing pretty terrible f1 cars around with my smoking
roller start and that box that made all those noises will never be forgot and now
I kick myself I got rid.

Got back into it Xmas of 2001 , my then G/F (now fiance and soon to be wife) bought my the big Circuit 4 F1 set !.
I was hooked , and it was that Mclaren & Williams that got me hooked. In last
6 months really gone mental with it finally buying more cars,track and Prof. Motor controllers and its got me hooked even more.

Looks like i'm back in it for life.

Now all I need is a big 'ole house for a permanent setup

·
DT
5,195 Posts
As a kid in London I paged through catalogues and dreamed of TR7's. Not sure why now but it was my dream car then. I never managed to get one sadly.

More recently the Fly Corvettes have interested me, but I don't have one running car - they all are box queens and don't run that well. The current selection of Le Mans GTS and GT cars really get me excited. I'd love to see a Ferrari 550 done by Fly and the Zonda done by Slot.it or Proteus.

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
When I was a youngster it was the original Jag D type....the moved into ECRA racing and the car to have was a Dodge Daytona.....the car that got me back into slots was the Ninco Healey closley followed by other cars in their Classic range.
Now...it's anything I can build myself.......or some of the more exotic stuff from Slot Classics, Le Mans Minatures or MMK.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hiya,

I must admit i like bright and shiny things - when I saw the cadillac northstar in silver - I just HAD to buy the entire type 4 scalley track just to get it. (well - that and to give astro something to play with at my house
)

Lv Hugs x x x

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Ninco's McLaren F1 - A Day Off.
great car! well it was all those years ago what, 5 is it now? shine a light I didnt think it were that long!

Inte

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
Well not actually a Scalextric car, but Squeezie himself nominated an Exin car, so, Revell Aston DB5 when I was a kid and probably SCX M3 when I became a club racer.

The Aston(s, my dad bought one for himself and one for me) came along after we had been running Scalextric and Airfix cars on the circuit in my sig pic for a few years and once we had them the home grown cars got used mostly as scenics. They were a total revelation compared to the old pin guide RX powered cars and the troublesome Formula Juniors. The handling and speed were awesome and they made a great "racy" sound. Not sure where Dad would have got them then, possibly a whim purchase at somewhere like Beatties of Holborn, but I suspect partly inspired by his 1/1 "toy" which can just be seen in my sig pic too

When I started club racing in the early 90s, there was a structured Thursday night club and a less fixed Tuesday session. Basically on a Tuesday everybody would bring along cars they fancied thrashing round and we'd all peer in each others boxes and decide on 6 classes to race. SCX M3s were probably the nearest thing to a permanent fixture, nobody ever said "Oh no, not them again". Probably because they just produced some fantastic close racing between competitors of all ages and capabilities. Mind you all of the SCX cars of the time were great- Squeezies Ferrari and the other F1s, the GT cars BMW M1, Porsche 911/935 ,Ferrari GTO/F40 and of course the rally cars RS200, Quattros, Celicas and 959s. the nearest Scalextric UK cars were the GroupC LeMans cars.

Mr.M

P.S. Still got all my cars from my childhood (Thanks to Mum & Dad) and am still hooked enough to have approaching 2000 more

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
4 cars from my first set (Scalextric 600) The Brabham BT44, Renault RS01, Tyrell 008 and the Walter Wolf WR7 going back to 1982.

On an off over the years, collected/raced from owning my first set, until teens around 1990. I gave up for a few years with a few notable exceptions; chancing upon the introduction of Ninco cars followed by Fly.

One impulse buy 12 months earlier, has got me hooked all over again.

By the way, the Wolf is still going strong, brought out of early retirement & now racing at the club!

James

1 - 20 of 47 Posts