SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys: In the process of starting to actually running my cars - Falcon powered mostly but old Mura Group 20s and 16D rewinds to follow - on a routed wooden club track, I find that my old MRRC thumb controllers are not up to scratch. I prefer using thumb control not finger.

A borrowed second-hand ECE electronic controller, which I could buy, is better. The choice of a new thumb controller seems restricted to one: £99 from SCD, with optional upgrades. What opinions do you have about their merits? Are there other new ones I've missed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Either an ECE or a SCD would be fine for all those motors.
Apparently they both use much the same circuit.
The handles are slightly different shape, you might prefer one or the other.
Most likely the ECE will have fewer steps than a modern SCD which might give the advantage to SCD.

A MRRC won't be suitable, as you've already discovered.

I don't know of any other thumb plunger controllers currently being made that are suitable for those sort of motors. (But I stand to be corrected if anybody else knows better).

·
Rich Dumas
3,539 Posts
When I got back into commercial track slot racing in 1990 I found that thumb operated controllers were no longer readily available. I just turned a trigger operated controller around and used my thumb on the trigger. I have won many races that way, so I have not bothered to look for thumb controllers.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Thumb operated controllers are readily available from SCD.
Most other makes are thumb only.

Quite a few drivers who are used to thumb controllers have spent a good deal of time getting used to finger controllers and still found they could drive better when they reverted to thumb.
Others changed to finger and found they preferred it.
It's really just personal preference, race what suits you best.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi
I should go with the second hand ECE ,after all they are collectors items now ,apreciating antiques ,unlike the guys who produced them !

Cheers tony

·
Registered
993 Posts
QUOTE (john's slotracing @ 22 Nov 2011, 16:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thumb operated controllers are readily available from SCD.
Most other makes are thumb only..........
I'll correct the mistake before anybody else does Most other makes are finger only..........

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
Steve Hill of TruSpeed has made a couple of his great PWM controllers using a thumb throttle. GRAH1 has one I believe.

Send him an email to get the latest info as there is a 1/24 version of the PWM now too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts