SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to build an SSD setup and want to know what the best program to design it in is. Trackpower seems hard to get. I wanted to start today. Scalextric track designer works on this computer, but not the one I use in the living room. It seems clunky and hard to move the track pieces around and connect them (only used for a few mins)? Ultimate Racer has a bunch of stuff I dont need right now and doesn't seem to look as nice as the others? Anyway, I have only fooled with these for a few minutes and don't want to get a bunch of time invested in one that is not the best. Are there any others or should i just use one of these? I don't mind paying, but I don't want to wait a week to get started either.

So, which one should I use? I want to make a large track (doesn't necesarily have to be sprawled out, just lots of ft). I have about 2000-2500 square feet of unused space in the basement for toys:) I plan to use SSDC etc and want to incorporate all the cool stuff like pit lanes etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Track Power has worked swell for me. I use it for SSD and Ninco large layouts. Easy to use, and they have been great with e-mails when I had to re-install because of a computer crash. Download the demo to try the interface out.

·
Greg Gaub
15,415 Posts
I also recommend TrackPower. Definitely check the demo out to see if you like how it works. If you decide to buy it, email the developer directly and he'll get back to you very soon.
I've also used other track designers and my personal choice is is TrackPower.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Ultimate Racer UR3.0 is a bit tricky to work with but free so that is a big advantage.
Anything is better than the one from Scalextric.

Cheers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been playing with Ultimate Racer. Trying to figure out how to elevate the track?? I copied a layout that I like (zigzag from hotslots132), but the ends don't meet. I suspect because I have no elevations. I want to start with that track and then change and add a few things. I want to make it bigger with more straights, pit lane, etc. I don't want to order anything until I get the layout done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, no elevations seems like it kills Ultimate Racers for me. My track ends are too far apart to use the gap command and I copied a design that appears to have been done in Trackpower that appears to meet and work fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Played with Trackpower and Slotman as well. Seems like none of them do elevations? I guess I will stick with Ultimate Racer and just live with the gaps. I can't seem to take them out and gap suppression always gives me errors of why it can't work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Figured out why gap suppression was not working. You have to turn on the view option of Display Track Attaches. Then you may see like I did that some pieces were not actually attached. Once everything was attached, the gap supression worked perfect!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read a post that said the Scalextric track designer was not good, so I installed UR3.0 and tried that track designer. It's easy enough to use and appears it's pretty easy to modify to add track pieces (such as the single curve section for a pit), however, how does it scale to a real track? I have designed several layouts with an elevated bridge that appear to basically fit together without even using the gap suppressor. So is it logical to believe that the layout will actually build "exactly" how it appears in the track designer?

One other quick note having to involve designing a pit lane. I am looking to design a pit lane that enters along a straight that goes say southbound. The pit lane is on the inside lane. It then immediately goes around a curve to go say westbound (following the inside of the "main" track. It appears, in the track designer software for UR3.0, the outside "main" track lanes will be an R4, R3, R3, and R4 to complete the "main" curve. The pit lane will immediately be filled with the 4 single R3 curved lanes, with from what I have seen, actually would comprise the "inside" lane of a typical R3 curve, not the outside which is what I would desire (first I don't believe this single lane piece is made, and second it would be great because then it would fit on the inside of 4 R4 curves instead of subbing in the R3 curves in my proposal). Clear? So, in the sofware it appears the pit lane will actually be next to the "main" track along the inside edge and in perfect alignement so that then you can later exit the pit along the westbound straight. Has anyone tried/set this up?

Thanks. -VP

·
Greg Gaub
15,415 Posts
Inside of R4-R3-R3-R4 you would need R3-R2-R2-R3. There are no pre-made single lane track pieces for any of those. I did it using normal track pieces, which I then cut the unused lanes out of.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Regarding UR3.0 and elevations....

It is simple to do. (I don't have the program here at work, so will do from memory.)

1) lay down your "lower track" and click the "put in back" icon (the one where the filled in square is behind the unfilled one).
2) lay down your "upper track" and click the "push in front" icon (the one where the filled in square is in front of the unfilled one).

Once I learned this trick (had to "remove" my upper track and then do step one before putting it back and doing step 2) I could make the layouts connect correctly.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts