Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question, what tyre truer would people recommend ?? Not too ££££££

Also where is the section on car modification ???

Thanks

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Do you use wheels that can easily be removed from the axle (such as those secured with grub screws)?
OR
Do you want to true tyres as part of an axle assembly (which is the easiest way for home set type cars where the wheels are moulded on to the axle)?

For wheels secured with grub screws, I'd recommend a Hudy.
If you want a much cheaper alternative, build your own tyre truer.

There are truers made to work with a complete axle assembly, I'll leave it to to those with practical experience of that type of truer to make recommendations
Again, a much cheaper alternative is to build your own.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
i have heard of one called a tyre razor wich can be used with wheels attatched to the axles.

Perhaps someone remembers it and can post a link to the site.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have an RSM tyre truer on order from Germany. Heard they were good. I believe they cater for both wheels on an axel like scalextric, carerra as well as have a special piece for wheels with grub screws in two different axel thickness.

Might be worth having a look at

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
just google it. the ones for complete axle assemblies have 2 V arms that you slot the axle into, then use a pully with the right size axle hole to put on the axle, which you just nip up with a grubscrew, then you lower the whole assembly down onto the slideable sanding block. if you go for the other type, look at the prices of different spindles-holders,that you may want. their all petty much the same. so the choice is down to you. unless you need features like a vacuum extracter ect. as said before make your own, you just have to be acurate with marking it out for the bearings and slideing posts. if you dont have axcess to a lathe you can buy the drum from any of the manufactures, with various grit sizes. the rest can be done on a pllar drill, a tip is to drill-ream the assemblies together, when you want bearing holes and slide pin holes to exactly line up. and the price difference is really good. john

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Tire Razor is available via SCI. scrJon is the guy's name. Unfortunately I don't still have it bookmarked. But I bought might a few months ago. As a less expensive but still proper option for plastic wheels it's good value.

Embs

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, thanks very much for your swift replies, I would like to true them whilst on there axles still, we have around 45 boxed cars and I race them with my son around our enormous setup in the loft, he doesn't cope too well with a few of the corners and I read truein the tyres will make a big difference.

Thanks again, I will have a look and see if I can find a set-up to make my own, I will also have a look at the ones you have mentioned, the tyre razor and RSM tyre truer

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts