SlotForum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Most of them require an account be set up, even the free ones.

Photobucket, Flickr, ImageShack (not a fan of them due to pop-ups), PhotoTime, DropShots... The list is almost endless. All free, but all will require an account registration and setup process.

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
I've been using Flickr for a few years. It has been very reliable, and they make it very easy to post pictures onto forums by giving you a code snippet that you just cut and paste into your post. The snippet even includes the necessary [ img ] tags.

However, their free account does have its limitations. The main ones are:
  • Maximum display resolution is 1024x768
  • Can only browse the last 200 pictures
If you upgrade to their Pro account (USD25 per annum) these limits disappear. So you can try the service for free, then start to pay for it when you find it useful.

As Ember already mentioned, you'll be hard pressed to find an image hosting site that doesn't require registration, and if you want all the bells and whistles for 'free', then you'll likely have to set up your own web site and add something like Gallery to it. Of course, this isn't 'free' since you have to pay for the web hosting and storage of all those images. Suddenly, Flickr Pro at a fraction over $2/month seems quite reasonable.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Photobucket is the same with the tags for posting. It has recently lifted any restrictions it had regarding storage limitations etc.

Not advocating Photobucket. Just re-iterating that there is little to tell them all apart.

Embs

·
Registered
495 Posts
QUOTE (stoooo @ 3 Jan 2012, 10:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>..... if you want all the bells and whistles for 'free', then you'll likely have to set up your own web site and add something like Gallery to it. Of course, this isn't 'free' since you have to pay for the web hosting and storage of all those images.
There are loads of free web hosts for your web sites,
This guide is useful for picking a good one link

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
QUOTE (Slotracing Al @ 3 Jan 2012, 10:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are loads of free web hosts for your web sites,
This guide is useful for picking a good one link
It's always useful to check the Ts&Cs of any free service. For example, the top rated host on the site you linked to is only free if you actively participate on their forums, which earns points that you can spend on their hosting plans. Setting up a web site also requires some subject matter knowledge which may be more than someone who just needs to host pictures is willing to do.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Can't believe I'm the first to say this HOW ABOUT SLOT FORUM? A years membership costs less than an in car chip for your traffic jam simulator and look what it's done for our hobby.

·
Registered
495 Posts
QUOTE (stoooo @ 3 Jan 2012, 11:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's always useful to check the Ts&Cs of any free service. For example, the top rated host on the site you linked to is only free if you actively participate on their forums, which earns points that you can spend on their hosting plans. Setting up a web site also requires some subject matter knowledge which may be more than someone who just needs to host pictures is willing to do.
Indeed it is always wise to check the Ts&Cs of any service, free or otherwise, before signing up.

There are lots of good slot racing web sites which have never cost the owner a penny, so nobody should be put off doing one by the cost.

Yes of course many people won't want to produce a web sites. My reason for posting was to correct a previous post saying "this isn't 'free' ..."

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
QUOTE (marctownsend @ 3 Jan 2012, 11:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can't believe I'm the first to say this HOW ABOUT SLOT FORUM? A years membership costs less than an in car chip for your traffic jam simulator and look what it's done for our hobby.

Agreed, Slotforum every time. Apart from all the other benefits of Plus Membership, host a picture here and will still be here for Years to come. Host it somewhere else and it will probably be gone in a Year or two. Many good threads are spoilt because of missing photos.

Rich

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,279 Posts
I' ve used photobucket for years and had no problems.

I never thought of the paid-for subscription here - I really must subscribe as I get so much benefit from the site.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I use photobucket mainly for the ease with which it connects to Facebook and Twitter.

I'm sure most of the others do the same things.

·
Administrator
9,654 Posts
I've been using Photobucket for years with no problems - except that this morning I can't connect any more!

The unlimited storage is nice, and it's pretty easy to use, but haven't tried any of the others...

Seems that if you're going to get a free service like this Dave, registering is the least you could do...

Don

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
QUOTE (marctownsend @ 3 Jan 2012, 11:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can't believe I'm the first to say this HOW ABOUT SLOT FORUM? A years membership costs less than an in car chip for your traffic jam simulator and look what it's done for our hobby.
It is good but with only 50MB of space for photos, you are very limited.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
QUOTE (RichG @ 3 Jan 2012, 11:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Host it somewhere else and it will probably be gone in a Year or two. Many good threads are spoilt because of missing photos.

Rich

Rich,
I would suggest this is because people move, rename or re-arrange their photos and therefore the link to the pic goes dead, rather than the site deleting them. Kev (Loosesalute) is an expert at doing this!
I've been using Photobucket for ages, for the reasons mentioned above, and the only problem I had was when I renamed a gallery, and lots of my photos went down on forum threads. Changed the name back and they reappeared.

I did try the Slotforum gallery when I first joined, but it soon filled up so I moved to Photobucket. I think they do video too now.
Cheers,
Richard

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I use SF. Works well but most of all I like to support brands that help me.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
QUOTE (richardtheforth @ 3 Jan 2012, 14:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rich,
I would suggest this is because people move, rename or re-arrange their photos and therefore the link to the pic goes dead, rather than the site deleting them. Kev (Loosesalute) is an expert at doing this!

The reason why they disappear is I feel irrelevant, and agreed it is often the users fault.
All I know is that before I started using SF for hosting pictures I left a trail of missing photos, from three of the free sites, that even Today I get PM's asking where the photos have gone.

Rich

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi All,
Ive got about 500 pics on Photobucket and some have been there since 2006 with no issues. So I can recommend them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try Photobucket. I've been a SF+ member for three years now. I'm happy that I've contributed to this forum since it's helped me a lot, especially getting my PB Pro + SH and SSDC working. However, I would also like to use Photobuck for other, non slot car related photos as well.
When I said that I was looking for a website that doesn't require everyone to register, I realize that I would have to. I was referring to so some websites that require anyone who wants to view my photos to register. That certainly wouldn't work in a forum like this. For example, I've recieved emails from some of my friends inviting me to view their family photos. Immediately after clicking on the link I was asked to register with the website. I didn't want to. Before I know it, I'll be registered with several websites that I'll probably never visit again.
Thanks again for the abundance of advice.
Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts