SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would just like to know which bushes are better. The Scalextric cars and some Flys (only got one so I don't know if it's all of them) come with plastic where even the cheapie cars from SCX come with brass. Do I keep the plastic or replace with brass? By the way, this is for racing not shelf queens.

·
Matt Tucker
3,550 Posts
The main priority for bushings is they are a snug fit ie you should not be able to visually see movement. If you've got movement then it will reduce power and increase gear wear and affect handling.

Nylon / vs brass - I prefer the later but you must ensure they are lubricated. Nylon need less maintenance but will wear and increase their inner diameter eventually leading to a wobbly axle.

Matt

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
I prefer a bush that needs little pruning and plenty of flowers through the Summer period. Brass ones need no watering, and nylon types look so artificial

Brass ones last a long time and tend to fit more snugly around the axle. They also fit more tightly in the chassis and so reduce 'spining' wear on the chassis mount (thus they don't wear out the chassis and don't lead to axle 'pop'

Plastic ones wear more quickly and tend to allow a slight axle movement. However, and contrary to the above, a little axle shift can help a car's performance. As the car shifts on its axles around a track it can retain more traction if the axles move in their bearing/bushings. The lower friction also allows for less drag. Only problem is that the movement on the axle grear and pinion can also reduce their lifetime by a small amount.

If your axle fit is too stiff in its tightly fitting bearing/bushings then as the car shifts on its curves the wheels are likely to lose grip suddenly.

Many have found that the Scalex Sport metal bearings give a car slightly reduced performance in relation to cheaper plastic stock versions.

The trick is to find a bearing that lasts a long time (saves tugging off your hubs and wearing them out) whilst also allowing a very slight 'wobble' in the axle.

It's an individual choice really, but I prefer brass bearings. Scalex nylons are very good nonetheless. Fly plastic bearings are nasty little wobbly and spinning things whilst MRRC plastic bearings allow too much axle wobble...awful!

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Now dont knock this but if you ever build a popsicle car youll find that wooden bearings dont wear out very quick ( wheres Al Penrose whenyou need him) and there vey cheap and tasty

·
Registered
316 Posts
Im a brass fan myself...
However Ball races for me are great. Both my Ninco CLK's have been running for over 2 years with ninco ball races... and there still both smooth and quiet. A set has never failed yet.... Oil before and after every run.... oil before going back in the box...
A touch more expensive though.
CoolS

·
Gary Skipp
6,507 Posts
As long as you glue them in place then you shouldnt have too many problems. Dont go overkill though, just a drop of superglue in at each end where the bush meets the mount. That way, they are removable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts