SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all.

I am about to hold a racing festival for a small company, as a treat for the emploies.

For this I will buy 5 identicaly cars, paint them in different collours and ad the company
Logo.

My 1. Idea was to buy 5 Scalextric white kit Aston Martins (I run on a 50meter Scalextric Digital layout)
But I find the solution to be a bit on the expensive side, considering I need 5 digital chips as well.

2. Idea was to buy 5 red Astons, again Scalextric. And then paint them, is this possible?

Any ideas or comments are very welcome!

Peter

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Digital will be challenging for novice drivers. Please post how it goes.

Cheers!

Julius

·
Registered
326 Posts
I agree with Alexis, if it´s only for the one time thing and you dont think you will reuse the cars or put them on display, I would go with cheap black windowed Scalextric cars and paint them up.

Then again, someone will put in an effort into painting them into different colors and also applying company logos and theme. Why not go all the way while you´re at it? Pick up some NSR white-kits. The Porsche, Corvette or if it´s a bit more fun racing, the NSR Renault Clio. Then put some chips in them. What´s a few extra € compared to the effort of painting them up nicely with your company theme? If you pick the NSR´s you get almost race finished cars right out of the box and you can save them for other events, put them on display or why not bundle them with a small Scalextric Digital track and give the whole kit to the winner (or a lottery?). Imagine one of your employees racing on it for years with those company logo themeed up cars...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are spot on, that is my case, I have plenty of hi restitant cars, I wanted to give a litle extra, and use the cars afterwards to future races. It dosnt have to be Scalextric cars, it is just so easy with the DPR chips, I have been looking towards NSR cars, but where to buy them? All the ones I have seen starts at 49€ plus 15€ for chip is a bit much when I have to buy 5.

But it is probably the right way to go.

Julius: i resently did a race for 10 boys, 10 years of age and there dads, it went absolutly splendid, after 1 hour they were rather good at it!

But please if you have any other ideas, is it possible to paint a allready panted model.
Peter

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
I think the cheapest white kits are teamslot, although if you are looking for longevity the slot.it white kits arent too expensive compared to others, very good quality and its easier to paint. the slot.its will go better on scaley track and you can get slot.it digital chips specifically for them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yeah I understand Singer, it´s a bit of a dig into the wallet indeed. Tho here in sweden, the finished painted NSR cars usually go for 700-750 sek per car! The white kits you can get for 500-600 sek if you look around. Problem is that nobody here in sweden usually keep 5 of the same kit in stock so you have to order them and wait, and it can take a month or even more if you´re unlucky.

Check UK e-Bay if you can handle waiting a few weeks for delivery and you found someone with 5 equal cars in stock. I tend to order cars there, even with UK listprice i save 100-150 sek per car on NSR or Slot.IT with the shipping included.

Otherwise, my favorite swedish Slot Car dealer just got a bunch of white-kits delivered...

http://www.slotcar4fun.se/nsr-audi-r8-gt3-...-21k-rpm/3207-0

http://www.slotcar4fun.se/nsr-audi-r18-lms...21-k-rpm/3206-0

http://www.slotcar4fun.se/nsr-mosler-mt-90...ght-body/1472-0

(Hope I dont break a forum law now by posting links to a seller).

I dont think you will have any problems re-painting finished cars either, but I think it will be a bit of a fiddle to first take them apart. Some parts can be glued on for instance and might easilly carp up the paintjob if you leave them on and just try to mask them while repainting. So best would probably be to just strip the cars into neutrons, then go at the body. I am totally a beginner when it comes to these things, but I imagine you can get away with just priming up a body, sanding, spraying, masking, spraying.. and clear finish the bodies, even if they are already painted.

If you want to cheat a bit with the decals and company logo / theme, then check this out.

http://www.testors.com/product/136937/9203...Clear_%26_White

Basically you make your own decals using a simple ink-jet printer. Design your logo, print it, stick it on and put some finish on it. I planning to do this now myself with a white kit NSR where i cheat a bit. The base body will just be in two colors (since I´m a total noob with painting) and then the rest of the decoration will be printed using decals. Just be aware that you cant print white, so you need white decal paper if you want a white text/background.

With the chips... yep... digital costs more. Sad but true. I usually tell myself that it´s an investment since I can move them between cars... not sure I beleive myself yet...
Check UK e-bay there also, you can save a few DKr if you are lucky and can wait. Ironman has a good point, the Slot.IT white kits are a bit cheaper. I haven´t bought any of them myself yet, but Slot.It´s quality is next to noone, so I am sure their white kits are as wonderful as their finished cars.

Hope you post a few pics of the event when you´re done Singer, so I can send the link to MY boss...

[Edit]

I couldn´t help myself so i checked e-bay a bit. Here is a link to one of JadLam´s auctions, they are great sellers and I bet you can get a good price on 5 of these black windowed Scalextric cars with chip included if you e-mail them and ask. Last car I bought from them arrived in 5 days and they are easy to deal with and are open to combine shipping.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCALEXTRIC-Digit...=item3a6e6a5a79

// Micke

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
The Scalextric 'black-windowed', or super resistant, cars are actually much harder to repaint than ones with separate windows. You can't remove them as they are moulded into the car so you have to mask them up, a laborious job. Same goes for the printed lights. The best way with those is to copy them and turn them into decals, even more laborious! I'd go with Slot.it or NSR white kits for a project such as yours.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I'd vote for the Scaley super resistant cars such as the Audi TTs, Porsche Boxsters, Porsche 997s, or Ferrari F430s. Unless the company is filled with hard core auto enthusiasts, most of the employees won't even notice what model or brand the cars are. They will be too busy enjoying the racing and crashing the cars. No matter which cars you use, they are going to get beat up pretty good, and the faster they are, the more damage.

Reinforce the guide blade mounts and have spares.

Invite the company to create their own logos and decoration for the cars using printable sticker paper. Most companies have at least a couple of creative types.

If the company does have auto enthusiasts and would prefer expensive, higher performance cars such as NSRs, painted and decorated to their specification, include the cost of the cars in your price for the event, and give them the cars as prizes. The 5 fastest drivers get to keep a car when the event is over as a prize. That will also encourage people to drive a bit more carefully.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
QUOTE (ThaiRacer @ 30 Dec 2011, 18:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Unless the company is filled with hard core auto enthusiasts, most of the employees won't even notice what model or brand the cars are. They will be too busy enjoying the racing and crashing the cars. No matter which cars you use, they are going to get beat up pretty good, and the faster they are, the more damage.

Reinforce the guide blade mounts and have spares.
For sure the cars will get crashed a lot unless you have a group of experienced slot racers. Hard core auto enthusiasts who are not experienced slot racers will do almost as much damage as anybody else.

A variable power supply with the volts turned way down is a good idea for that sort of event. Somewhere around the level where its only just possible to go fast enough to fall off usually works well - some will still fall off all over the place but at least the more careful will stay on for a lap or two. Give them full power and you'll spend all evening repairing wrecked cars.

You are right about putting the company logo on all the cars - I wouldn't think you need to bother much about painting detail as long as the company logos are clearly visible.

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
Im not sure if they are readily available anymore but HPI skylines were super cheap for ages and came in a few different colours. You could always use the super resistant cars in different colours and add logo decals without re-painting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts