SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Members. I am new to this Forum but I recognize a few of you out there. I've seen some progress pictures of my track posted from other members and thought I might start my own thread. For ease at this point I figured I could direct you to my Blog which has the most up to date pictures. In the future I'll post new ones here as well. I got into this about a year ago now and have been a man possesed since then. Not only with my own circuit but also helping others with the design and build of there tracks.

Some of WLF1 Rings Details:

1/32 Scale AC2 Car Track
4 Lanes
145' Lap Length
19 Turns
2' Elevation Change
Active Pitlane

Enjoy!

http://wlf1ring.blogspot.com

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hi jmghF1 .. and Very Welcome to the Forum ..

And what a great first topic. I've already had my daily doze of input now, have to lie down a bit .. after a mere brief peek on your webpage .. Holy
.. You got "into this" a year ago, you say .. You must be kidding!?!

Amazing if so, I'll have to digest all the pictures and info a while, some days .. But beware, we might pester you with lots of questions.

Btw. Did I say it already? VERY WELCOME to the Forum ..

-- ron --

.. goodness gracious ..

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Good god!

More info please

Timing system?
how do the pits work?
etc etc

and yes, welcome to SF !

·
Tel
4,125 Posts
Stunning !
Please could you give a step by step beginners guide as to how you got that lake looking so real, I love how it looks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW! Some instant feedback. I'm impressed.

Thank you all for the nice comments, it has been a labor of love for sure.
You might find some tidbits of construction methods on the blog. I suggest if you are truly into the project, read the blog backwards with the oldest post first so its in the correct order of construction.

ronMcRain: Yes not even a year yet. I used to work with the creator of Legends International here in the Detroit area and saw his track just before Christmas last year. Instantly hooked! He and I have become good friends and I have since helped him with his Lemans Pitbuildings. I had started my plan that very same weekend of my first encounter with the infamous Legends. The end of February 2007 I received my CNC routed panels and began construction. Honestly I have really only slowed down recently what with the holidays and all, but I still have more planned. Honestly it will probably never end! I may have to build a second track someday... A BIGGER ONE

Thanks for your kind Welcome!

Swissracer: I am working with RacerX (BT) on a timing system. I expect I'll have that installed in the first month or so of 2009.
Pit Entry is activated by a doorbell switch which triggers a custom bell crank flipper I made using a magnetic Solenoid. Details of the orginal one that the creator of Northline built can be found at ac2car.org. A secondary doorbell switch activates the actual pit stop entry. There is no stop timer or anything as of yet, just the ability to do drive-through penalties and pit stops.

Savage: The lake bed was filled in with random scraps of MDF, 2 and 1 inch foam etc. With the large organic shape it was difficult to have a singular material covering the entire basin. I recommend that whenever possible you use a single sheet of material with no seams. Upon close inspection you can see some areas of my lake that are a bit uneven and such, but the grandness of it hides that fact and eventually driver boats will cover the most extreme goofs. After the basin was filled I spackled and sanded all the gaps. I used medium size landscape stones to create the transition from track to lake, the intent being it is a man made lake for specific access to the track. I also made a viaduct from 1/4" blue foam for an entry point to the distant ocean somewhere. From there I painted an original shade of blue even creeping onto the rocks a bit... in other words, sloppily. Many months later I came back to the project and mixed my original blue paint with gradually increasing amount of black to start painting in the depth. Mix a big cup of the blue, add a little black, paint with that just off shore, go add more black and paint just inside of the last painting (Towards the middle of the lake) and repeat until you reach the center areas. I had maybe 5-6 sessions of adding black and painting (All over the course of an hour maybe) The key is trying to make it gradual as possible. Wetter paint can help here. An airbrush would be fantastic, but too messy with the state of my track in other areas. Then I used medium size florist pebbles to apply along the shore line for a more gradual transition. Train ballast can work too but would be a smaller scale. From there i was going to buy the EZ Pour Water stuff, but I would have needed 15-20 bottles or so so faaaaarrr to expensive. I found This 60 coat poly/epoxy stuff at Home Depot in the Varnish area. Its a two part mix and is about half the price of the EZ Pour Modellers Water. I used four boxes mixing one box at a time, then pouring into the bed, mix the next and pour. working time is about 20-30 minutes so you need to work quickly. You can pull the stuff around with a squigee to get it into the nooks and crannys. I totally blew the recommended thickness of 1/8" and is more like 1/4" in areas. This is because of the uneveness of the overall lake bed. Even and Flat is best! Anyway I needed that thickness to cover the 'blemishes'. I also poured right over a lot of the medium sized pebbles so they look partly submerged. I guess thats about it other then I will be making some speedboats in the future moored up to the pit box docks. Hope that helps, keep in mind I am a beginner when it comes to lakes too and it wasn't that difficult, besides if you screw it up you can always go over it again with new paint etc.

White Lake Formula One Ring:
http://wlf1ring.blogspot.com

·
Tel
4,125 Posts
Thanks jmghF1

One thing thats still not clear to me, if you can only have 1/8th to 1/4 of the poly/expoy what did you use to bring it up to that level (it sounds like your "hole" was quite deep) ?
I presume I could route a shape to 1/8-1/4 depth in an MDF board and paint as you described before poring the poly/expoy in, but I cant imagine it would look as effective.
Excuse the silly questions, I am soon to embark on my very first venture into the scenery side of things, and have a lot to learn as yet !

·
Dave Capelen
2,801 Posts
Hi jmghF1

Wonderful work and use of imagination!

Plenty of scope for inspiration for any aspiring track builder - not that we could all achieve the standard that you have done (speaking personally anyway).

Brilliant!

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've had the good fortune to race on this a couple of times and it's as fun as it looks. For me, the bridge is the highlight. We've all seen how compressed bridges get on our layouts. Mine is going to be the same way. Not this one though, it's huge! Watching your cars go up, over and back down it is very cool!

Pete

·
Registered
91 Posts
QUOTE (thib @ 15 Dec 2008, 20:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've had the good fortune to race on this a couple of times and it's as fun as it looks. For me, the bridge is the highlight. We've all seen how compressed bridges get on our layouts. Mine is going to be the same way. Not this one though, it's huge! Watching your cars go up, over and back down it is very cool!

Pete

Ya, I really need to get the white lake video done... ok I am lazy!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hahaha this thread is bound to be littered with Holy Grail Banter between you and I Racer X
Soon I'll have some 'Churches' floating on the lake too!

Savage:
Actually what you describe as routing a 1/8" deep panel in your mdf would be perfect.
You use the gradual shading of paint to create the illusion of depth; deeper=darker color
I used scrap mdf and foam to create a semi-level surface and that is only 1/8" to 1/4" below the epoxy you are seeing.

JeffSCXd:
White Lake, Michigan a suburb of Detroit (North Carolina-- I used to live in Morehead City, NC)

Thib:
Yes the Bridge! Great Fun, your track takes it to the next level though! Montrous, flowing, high tech lane changers... Oh did I mention GRAND Scenery?? Can't wait till she's operational!

I am always open to new racers even you over-the-sea-ers
So if you're ever in the Detroit area let me know and we'll run some laps round the ring!
I am finding already this is the perfect Forum for me with International exposure.
Europe, the home of F1! I need to get over there someday to run around with the f1 circus, Hmmm actually I guess I better plan on a trip to Asia and the Middle East
US-Gone, Canada-Gone, Silverstone and UK maybe-Gone?? France-Gone...its a sad day in F1

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.