SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying out different ways of putting white lines on the edges of my track layout - nothing seems to look right.

I've tried using grout pens and whiteboard pens.

Also, I can never seem to find the right tool to use to draw round the bends.

My layout uses scaley sport track laid into MDF. I am aiming to paint the circuit on MDF with the track taking the racing line.

So, I thought I'd put the call out for some ideas on paints, pens to use and any ideas on how others have gone about putting the lines on.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

·
Registered
177 Posts
I set the width of the line I wanted w/ a small dividers. Then I scribed a continuous mark on the (Carrera) track surface by holding one point of the dividers on the track edge. This gave a slight groove to mask up against and provided a "stop" for the paint flow. This was on curves. For straights, I created the same groove w/ a straightedge and X-Acto knife. I used 1/4" wide painter's tape for masking, which I then burnished, and white artist's acrylic full strength from the tube for painting. Worked great IMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
We used white coach lining tape on our club track, not perfect but a lot less fiddly than paint. You can lift and redo relatively easily if you make a pig's ear of it.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hi Brian. I tried the coach lining tape at Presto but it wasn't that successful - the tape just didn't stick that well, even to a newly painted surface. i had to staple it in places which looked awful.

I then tried masking a continuous line but it was a 'B' to get the line the same width all around the track, especially on the corners.

Like Stevef1964 i would be interested in how other SF members have lined their tracks as it is something i want to do on my new Presto track. Mike

·
Greg Gaub
15,416 Posts
I've heard of some people using a special pinstriping paint tool of some kind. I don't know anything about them, but it's worth learning more about.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
QUOTE (Yazoo @ 25 Apr 2012, 21:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Brian. I tried the coach lining tape at Presto but it wasn't that successful - the tape just didn't stick that well, even to a newly painted surface. i had to staple it in places which looked awful.

We had no trouble with it sticking Mike. It is designed to stick to car paint so I don't know why you should have any trouble. Our track surface is gloss with matt varnish on top. We also varnished over the tape once it was laid.

We used the same type of tape to do the lane colours as well and haven't had lifting on any of it. It is no more difficult to lay round corners than copper tape. It is not a perfect answer but it is good enough for our purposes. If you examine the real thing at a race track you will find that is not perfect either!

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far.

Where do you get your pin strip tape from CMOTD? Do you use a dispenser or is in done by hand?

Rather than varnish I could spray a PVA glue solution over the lines to see if that seals them down. As I am looking to put down grass it could kill tow birds at once.

Keep the ideas coming.

Cheers

Ssteve

·
David Collins
2,454 Posts
The pinstriping tool used on many tracks is called a Beugler - find out more here. £87 looks like the minimum price. We used it for the Scalex track at Wellingborough - I think we borrowed it, but I don't know from where. I would have thought there would be a value in a service that rented these out.

David

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
QUOTE (Stevef1964 @ 26 Apr 2012, 08:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Where do you get your pin strip tape from CMOTD? Do you use a dispenser or is in done by hand?

We got ours from a local vehicle accessory shop. I think Halfords sell it but here is a LINKY to an eBay seller.

We did it by hand, if you don't press too firmly you can lift and redo any errors. Once you are happy then go over it with a wallpaper seam roller like this LINKY to firm everything down before over varnishing.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers CMOTD,

I've seen some 6mm stuff on the same site. Halfords want to charge £14.99.

Thanks for the laying tips too.

Groomi,

I did think about the tippex route, but not sure if the stuff would be robust enough when laying down. I think the pin stripe tape will be easier to lay.

Wont know till I get going though!!

Thanks all

Steve

·
Greg Gaub
15,416 Posts
I tried the correction tape as well, but could not get it to stick out of the dispenser. I even tried pulling some out and laying it manually like copper tape, but it just falls apart (even when using the special backing to hold it straight). AND it didn't stick well. That said, maybe I just did it wrong. I didn't try cleaning the track with any spirits first, which might have helped.

·
re member
4,194 Posts
QUOTE The pinstriping tool used on many tracks is called a Beugler I have seen this used on many of the big tracks in the US. Seems pricey for what you want to do though....maybe hire a local pinstriper to do the job.

·
Registered
74 Posts
QUOTE (Stevef1964 @ 26 Apr 2012, 19:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mohawk,

How did it turn out? Any pics?

Steve

I will take some photos over the weekend.

It turned out fairly good, besides user error. I did want it like an older used track, so i wanted the line to wear at certain points and cracking didnt wory me too much, however if i took my time a little more and if i used a decent correction tape it was possible to have it looking very good. I used about 3 differing brands as i ran out.

I did not clean my track before laying it (again, i wanted some to look worn) i did need to roll over the tape to push it into the road ( my track surface is raw ferrodor) I used some slot tyres on an axle and just rolled over applying pressure.
Pictures soon

Kai

1 - 18 of 18 Posts