SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK ,Swiss ,BSN .now your back whos the best racers ,Uk ,Spanish ,French etc .You dont have to be too honest with your answers I just thought this might make for a good argument

Graham

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Not alot else to go on really folks, those Cataluyna guys were incredible though, no foreign Team, apart from the Italian Slot.It Team, came close to the top boys.
I will give lap and time details in the article but the difference between First and Last was around 1500 laps. If you consider that within any 40 minute period, between 120 and 180 laps were being driven....

Also Spain is an oddity in that they use Ninco track almost exclusively, use NO magnets and NO weight apart from that given by a light kit and here the lighter the kit the better!

Teams have been known to spend 24 hours simply sanding the bodywork on a plastic RTR down, just to shave the grams a little more before painting.

Given that the 956s were 'as is' apart from free choice of front tyres and free choice of Slot.It crown gear, they were absolutely superb! Not one failed to finish and not one had any major damage apart from the usual wing mirrors, rear wing and front light lenses.

More in the report and review though so you have to wait

Here are a couple of measurements to mull over..

Total real distance driven by ALL Teams added together in the race was just over 5500KMs and at an average real speed of 230KMs Per hour

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Spainish............sorry for the insult,
Cataluyian actually, and they all looked under 19!!

24hrs of crashless rotations at finger numbing speed.

Running low break and high sensitivity throttle set ups.

AWESOME!

No tail sldes, this damages the rears!

Oh yeah they don't bother truing the tyres either!! their pit stops took about 20 secs to change rears and oil, ours were measured in minutes!!

These guys are in another league! But too serious

One guy from the Mild seven team was also racing in the 1/24th enduro running concurrently with our race! and they still came 2nd! Tired Boy!

Dutch team were ok but they finished at the bottom with us. They had a chassis failure at about 12noon on sunday. Guide holder split and they transfered all to new chassis in sub 20mins

OH what about are team Swiss????

And I thought it was a merc that took off on the mulsane straight not a porsche?
Least he only did it once not three times EH!
I had the delights of a 12yr old portuguese pilsbury boy nerfing me off every chance he had or taking great delight in speeding in to my helpless car post crash!!
Still I took sweet revenge..... on his hyper active dad!!

Ocho OCHO

BSN

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Mistakes rectified guys ! sorry for double post.
That will teach me to rush a reply late at night

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
QUOTE I had the delights of a 12yr old portuguese pilsbury boy nerfing me off every chance he had...

Wonderful image.

At least you took part and had a blast. Spreading the word of SF.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE average real speed of 230KMs Per hour
Rushing replies too early in the morning is no better than late at night, I fear!

Settle down and get your breath back, old chap!

Interesting about no tyre truing after tyre changes. It would seem that the strategy was to use the abrasive running surface to do the job naturally and accept the slightly slower early speed (until 'run-in') as being more than offset by time needed to sand the tyres on the car before replacing it on the track? Such an alien concept for those of us who only run multiple short club races on a Sunday afternoon. Our tyres seem to last forever!

·
Matt Tucker
3,550 Posts
The best racers are the ones that beat you - therefore in my opinion the best racers are Northamptonshire born and bred. I'm not yet a big boy in my pond let alone a minnow in the lake or even a plankton in the great ocean of international slot car racers.

Well thats my philosophical meandering over and done with today.

Back to reality - the best racers are Swedes. No reason.

Back to the real reality - it seems the Spanish have it licked when it comes to racing on plastic track with no magnets. They seem to have a lot of excellent racers and not just one or two big names.

On routed track I'm not sure but I'm sure the Brits and US folks would be up there with the best.

Magnet racing - I'd put my money on the US just cause there are so many of them (250 million+) so there are bound to be some excellent racers in amoungst that lot and they do seem to love tweakers.

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Regarding endurance racing, at the moment the Brit teams dominate in Europe.
As for idividual racers i think the east Europeans have the advantage in skill and equipment, talking about metal racing not plastic!
If anybody is interested there is to be a round of the EEC [European Endurance Championship] at Millstream Raceways in Fleetwood [Bournmouth UK] on the weekend of the 1st and 2nd November, it's an 8 hour event for 1/24th Gp12 cars and will be the last of the series for this year.
[oneofwos]

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Here are the world rankings by nation for slot car racing:-

1. BELGIUM 469 pts 18 racers with "Piki" van Rossem, Yannick Demeyer & JP van Rossem as 3 best
2. CZECHIA 465 pts 15 racers with Josef Korec, Vladimir Horky and Frantisek Poledna as 3 best
3. USA 338 pts 39 racers with Paul Ciccarello, Philip Helmuth and Greg Gilbert as 3 best
4. UNITED KINGDOM 204 pts 31 racers with Brian Saunders, George Kimber & Charlie Gooding as 3 best
5. FINLAND 187,5 pts 16 racers with Einari Fyhr, Matti Fyhr & Jari Porttinen as 3 best
6. HOLLAND 174 pts 29 racers with John van Hoornaar, Tamar Nelwan & Marcel Oosterling as 3 best
7. GERMANY 151 pts 24 racers with Mario Schöne, Günther Riehl & Kurt Petri as 3 best
8. BRAZIL 126,5 pts 15 racers with Gugu Bernardino, Geraldo & Paolo Gonzalves as 3 best
9. SWEDEN 112 pts 13 racers with Mikael Silén, Anders Gustafson & Janne Ekman as 3 best
10. SPAIN 102 pts 16 racers with Jordi Borras, Daniel Gonzalez & Francesc Reyes as 3 best
11. PORTUGAL 93.5 pts 13 racers with Ulisses Relvas, Jorge da Cruz & J-C Figueiredo as 3 best
12. AUSTRALIA 88 pts 26 racers with Brad Bennett, Tony Pye and Peter Dight as 3 best
13. ITALY 77 pts 14 racers with Salvatore Noviello, Montiglio & Paolo Trigilio as 3 best
14. NEW ZEALAND 74 pts 10 racers with Dave Gick, Tim Tyler & Chris Radisich as 3 best
15. RUSSIA 46 pts 14 racers with Ahmetdinov, Denis Karamov & Viktor Kovalenko as 3 best
16. LATVIA 43 pts 7 racers with J. Rage-Ragis, Peteris Taurins & Podosinoviks as 3 best
17. LITHUANIA 36.5 pts 8 racers with Leonaviccius, Simas Nemira & Darius Svegzda as 3 best
18. JAPAN 34 pts 8 racers with Akitani, Tebu Satoh & Masaru Sasaki as 3 best
19. SOUTH-AFRICA 24 pts 9 racers with Gustav Heymann, D. van Rooyen & Rusty Braga as 3 best
20. ESTONIA 23 pts 8 racers with Ilmar Viira, Einar Viira & Kaiar Tameleht as 3 best
21. SLOVAKIA 22 pts 4 racers with Vlado Okali, Jozef Miskolci & as 2 best
22. SWITZERLAND 19,5 pts 2 racers (Kurt Rölli & Gabriel Inäbit)
23. CANADA 9,5 pts 1 racer (Greg Mills)
24. AUSTRIA 9 pts 11 racers with Oliver Sonnbichler, Walter Trowal and Adam Sinderbal as 3 best
25. FRANCE 3,5 pts 5 racers with Anthony Béraha, Paul Hamo & Thierry Paris as 3 best
26. UKRAINE 0.5 pt 1 racer (Valentin Iskandarov)

World wankings

Moped

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Unfortunate that after that huge list, the rankings have only just, this very day, been rehashed!

Nice to see George Kimber still hard at it and right up there with the best. I raced with him in Newcastle many moons ago and he was scarily good as a teenager - I wasn't!

Also very interesting to see two Van Rossems in the allegedly leading group - Daddy Rossem being the organizer of the whole thing and a convicted fraudster to boot! Many of his organised races are by personal invitation only, so he couldn't possibly have any influence on the alleged placings could he?
I will take all with a pinch of salt -
a very large one, probably International Super King Size.

·
Ric Woods
817 Posts
Tropi - just wondering when you raced at Newcastle? I was racing at the Blyth club in '70-'73, just up the road from there, and the Newcastle lads often used to come along. Could our paths have crossed in an earlier life?

Mooster

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I hate to admit it Moo, but it was slightly pre-1970!
Even earlier than that, I had lived in Newcastle (Heaton) but wasn't a slot club member - too busy playing lead guitar in rock'n'roll bands. I dated a girl from Blyth for a while but then moved to London. A year or two later, about 1966 at a guess, I joined a club near Wakefield and we raced in Newcastle on occasion. It's SO far back, I can't even remember where the club was at this point. But I do remember George, as he was exceptional - the first person I ever knew personally who rewound the original Triang/Scalextric/MRRC motors.

It's a small world isn't it!

·
Ric Woods
817 Posts
Aw, just missed! I think I was racing in a garden shed in Northern Ireland at that point! Still, an amazing achievement for George to still be a top racer after 35 years or so...

Mooster

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
LOL!
An even smaller and more circular world than expected.
There's you, an import and me the same, only the other way round (all in the best possible taste of course)!
Take a look at NISCAR , immediately after Intergrali's start post and the enigmatic remark will become clear!
That thread is full of members' nice circuits and well worth a look anyway if you haven't already seen it.

BTW, I hereby award myself an official bollocking for allowing this to run off topic, but it was all Mooster's fault really!

·
Ric Woods
817 Posts
Amazing! I was born and raised in Bangor.

I hereby consider myself equally bollocked and will let things return to where they should be! Sorry, folks!

Mooster

1 - 19 of 19 Posts