SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of (very) idle interest...
Does anyone know who what why or when the vac body was introduced into slotracing? I was just recalling how, as a very young and impecunious lad, I saved up for a Riko Ford GT kit, and found that the clear plastic packaging for the body shell could be painted up into a not bad duplicate. But I'm sure the concept was around already. I was just being mean.
I'll bet a scratchbuilt Xylon that Mr Pea doesn't have the answer to THIS one!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You chaps are all heart.

Can we talk about Vaccies? Like, er, when did racers move over to them in a big way from injection moulds, carved wood, etc.? Interesting comment about Supershells, RR- I never associated them with blobbies. What's your favourite, even?

Anything to get this blasted Xylon off the topic....
And I guess my scratchbuild is suppposed to look a bit like that, Fergy. But who's to judge? If I just stick an Airfix Frog Eye in front of a hot air paint stripper for a while, will that get you all off my case?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yow. It's getting a little hot in here. They'll be hunting for Xylons buried in Iraq next.
I didn't mean to start an international incident.
Very broadminded of you to give credit to Brits for something Mr P! If I correctly interpret 'behind the 8 ball' as a complimentary term. But has it occurred to you that RR might be doing you a favour in arguing you out of a Xylon or two? It is so ugly it can cause physical harm and mental dmage at forty yards. I've started work on it, wearing dark glasses and asbestos gloves. And taking a leaf out of Greek mythology, doing everything in a mirror, to avoid the direct gaze which rumour has it, can turn a man to stone. My choice of donor body may reduce a few of you to tears- luckily I'm made of stern stuff (Cricket bats and cornflake boxes mostly). Wooden chassis for authenticity, of course. You may be able to lift the curse soon, BJ.

My initial enquiry was based on a purely innocent thought about the early days. When I started out, we were making shells out of anything from cornflake boxes to broken cricket bats, injection moulded plastic being way too expensive. Then everything goes hazy in my mind for a bit- something to do with finding a pile of Razzle magazines in the school bike sheds I think- and the next thing I recall is GT models vacforms everywhere. Can anyone fill in the missing years for me? I've never knowingly encountered an original Sshells or MRRC vaccy. Anyone got any photos?
That Darnell body whipped me back to Teddington Model Shop circa 1965 (JP you pack-rat you! Where do you stash all this wonderful stuff? Even the WATford phone number on the packaging does things to me). I remember rows of them hanging up on the wall display. If memory serves, they had a Lotus Europa body. I built a chassis from Model Cars plans while I saved my pocket money for the shell. Finally bought the shell and found that it didn't fit. Out of scale, you see.
Something was burned into my soul that day....

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just to keep things in perspective, RR- the Xylon was a British invention too. We have a lot to answer for.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Damn...and here was me thinking you were being polite, Doc.
Never mind. I was going to send you the Xylon anyway because I want you to suffer. It's been in my house too long, and there's a little storm cloud hanging over us. Visitors won't come anymore, all the mirrors have cracked and the milk curdles in the fridge. And is that Jack Nicholson outside the front door with an axe???

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I say ban nationalism in slot racing. As every atheist knows, God created Scalextric on the eighth day, for all man(and woman)kind to enjoy. It's just that I couldn't find the bit about vacforms in Genesis when I had a look the other day. I should ask the vicar- she'll know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts