SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yow. It's getting a little hot in here. They'll be hunting for Xylons buried in Iraq next.
I didn't mean to start an international incident.
Very broadminded of you to give credit to Brits for something Mr P! If I correctly interpret 'behind the 8 ball' as a complimentary term. But has it occurred to you that RR might be doing you a favour in arguing you out of a Xylon or two? It is so ugly it can cause physical harm and mental dmage at forty yards. I've started work on it, wearing dark glasses and asbestos gloves. And taking a leaf out of Greek mythology, doing everything in a mirror, to avoid the direct gaze which rumour has it, can turn a man to stone. My choice of donor body may reduce a few of you to tears- luckily I'm made of stern stuff (Cricket bats and cornflake boxes mostly). Wooden chassis for authenticity, of course. You may be able to lift the curse soon, BJ.

My initial enquiry was based on a purely innocent thought about the early days. When I started out, we were making shells out of anything from cornflake boxes to broken cricket bats, injection moulded plastic being way too expensive. Then everything goes hazy in my mind for a bit- something to do with finding a pile of Razzle magazines in the school bike sheds I think- and the next thing I recall is GT models vacforms everywhere. Can anyone fill in the missing years for me? I've never knowingly encountered an original Sshells or MRRC vaccy. Anyone got any photos?
That Darnell body whipped me back to Teddington Model Shop circa 1965 (JP you pack-rat you! Where do you stash all this wonderful stuff? Even the WATford phone number on the packaging does things to me). I remember rows of them hanging up on the wall display. If memory serves, they had a Lotus Europa body. I built a chassis from Model Cars plans while I saved my pocket money for the shell. Finally bought the shell and found that it didn't fit. Out of scale, you see.
Something was burned into my soul that day....

G

·
Now given that rail/slot racing is a British invention in it current form and most of the most important inventions have been invented in Britain with quite a few coming from Wales. Britain started the industrial revolution which changed the face of the world.

The vac bodied slot car should almost certainly be down to Super Shells as this companies first offerings were vac bodies but it could be MRRC as the Rail car kit could be built as either rail or slot cars as MRRC made a guide to convert them and these were vac bodied.

RR

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just to keep things in perspective, RR- the Xylon was a British invention too. We have a lot to answer for.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not to be a smart-ass, but since we have a Brit interpreting American slang as quoted by a Frenchman, the following explanation may shed some light on the "behind the 8 ball" expression.

'Eightball' is a highly uncomplimentary slang word standing for a rather objectionable character ('gold brick', 'goof'). The word owes its origin to the billiard game where the number 8 ball has some restrictive associations which make it an object of disapproval. Namely, in a pocket billiard game popular in the USA, the player loses if he directs the eight ball into a pocket before all other balls have been pocketed. Hence, the phrase 'be behind the eightball' (having a difficult shot or more generally, being in trouble). In the Army the word has likely connections with the expression 'Section 8' which was a section of provisions specifying the reasons for discharge from military service. 'Section 8' defined the reasons for discharge for reasons of mental, psychiatric deficiencies and therefore 'Section 8' figuratively means a 'psycho', a 'moron'.

Not sure if PdL was implying the former or latter interpretation.

mp

G

·
Thank you, mp for explaining.

tx I think we have been insulted now I will happy take the psycho name, but sorry that leaves you with the other one!

RR

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE (howmet tx @ 7 May 2004, 09:17)Then everything goes hazy in my mind for a bit- something to do with finding a pile of Razzle magazines in the school bike sheds I think- and the next thing I recall is GT models vacforms everywhere. Can anyone fill in the missing years for me?
I'll check. Any issues in particular howmet?

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Is this the one that you are looking for, Howmet?

I also have the issue of Car Model magazine which has pictures of Donna naked in the bathtub scrubbing Lee Gilbert's chassis......

Kind regards

Russell

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
QUOTE (Rail Racer @ 7 May 2004, 09:52)Britain started the industrial revolution which changed the face of the world.

We did. A visit to Ironbridge, the start of it all is thoroughly recommended - that's the end of the tourist guide.

I remember the GT vac forms but can't add any information, Wonderland Raceways in Southend produced it's own very large range and I was able to buy them over the counter. They always had a few of the masters on display which as a modelmaker always fascinated me. I have a distinct memory of a court case between GT and Wonderland about copyright and the subsequent withdrawal from sale of some of the Wonderland range.

Howmet - original MRRC vac forms are still fairly common at Scalex swapmeets.

David

·
Graham Windle
4,447 Posts
QUOTE Wonderland Raceways in Southend produced it's own very large range
David corect me if I'm wrong but didnt wonderland get screwed for copyright over this range as most of it was copied from GTs range"aledgedly"

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
That's right Grah1, I was being careful with my choice of language just in case there are still any of the individuals about and I had my facts wrong.

David

·
Registered
168 Posts
"And just think, that monster was only 1/32 scale until the young lady took it in hand."

Oh, I thought the picture was an advertisement for the latest VMG car.

mp

21 - 40 of 50 Posts