SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes the best slot cars? and why? and what new car should they make next?

It's nearly Christmas after all.

I will give a new Carrera Mercedes 300SLR to who ever gives the best answers to the above questions, finishes 5/1/2004.

To make it fair every member on the SlotForum has one vote and the answer that get the most votes gets the car. Voting starts on the day the competition finishes

This should mean 300 answers and votes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RR

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Well, I'm not actually replying for the competition because my views are most unlikely to be shared by the masses (or ANYone for that matter!
). To me, the hobby is about tinkering and building, so the RTR concept is not so important to me, and the RTR cars I have are bought mainly because I love the bodies and am prepared to either spend some time getting the cars to run well or plan to put the bodies on top of a scratchbuilt chassis. But....

Who makes the best slot cars?

Fly.

Why?

EXCELLENT body detail and finish, VERY GOOD representations of most cars, GOOD range of offerings, FAIR to VERY GOOD mechanicals (by RTR standards) depending on chassis style, GOOD to VERY GOOD value for the money and EXCELLENT availability (for me at least).

And what new car should they make next?

An entire series of current Formula One cars! I would LOVE to see what Fly could do with these!

As I said... probably not the popular opinion...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That leaves another 299 opinions to go. Should be fun.

Happy Christmas to everyone on the list.

RR

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Fergy,

Regarding Fly making F1's, you may as well forget it.

Fly's boss has made it clear in an interview that he will NEVER make any single seat racer, be it F1, F3000, Indy or anything else. Why ? He simply doesn't like them !

·
Registered
105 Posts
Im gonna have to go with Scaly. I have 20+ and not a bad one among them , they are in my book truly rtr. Out of the box , a couple drops of oil and youre off and running. Another aspect is the offering of unpainted cars to do youre own liveries.and paint schemes. But what really cinched it for me is the release of the Dyson car. I live in upstate New York right outside Poughkeepsie which is Dyson's home base and my next door neighbor and friend is Dyson's machinist. I will be getting the car signed , hopefully they will do Chris's car , after all he did win the LMP675 championship. One more point , its great that a lot of their offerings come with lights all at a reasonable price, and the ability to place the mag in different areas on the chassis in the different pockets that are molded into the chassis or to take them out altogether. All in all very good quality and fun to drive these cars.
Oh ,forgot one thing , the car Id like to see next, Id like to see Scaly do a Cobra and see how it stacks up against the RM Cobra.

DE38

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok John,
I am with you about Russell's cars as I am a big fan of his work or the Rail cars John Moxon Builds which are amazing but this has got to be cars you can buy.

RR

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE Fly's boss has made it clear in an interview that he will NEVER make any single seat racer, be it F1, F3000, Indy or anything else. Why ? He simply doesn't like them !

Fast Lucky, I had no idea!! Thanks for the info (I wondered why Fly hadn't already done some), but now you've got me depressed...

Note to self - Win lottery, buy Fly!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Although not truely "mass market" I would be tempted to vote Slot Classic. They are amongst the nicest looking cars and have a certain individuality and "warmth" to them.

They do tend to be weighed down with fine detail so they are not always the nimblest of racers. A positive or negative depending on which way you like to look at it.

I also reckon that the MMK's or Top Slot's C-type might be contenders for me.

As it is, I am going to have to reserve my final vote until Santa is safely back in the North Pole, feet up, sipping a well deserved glass of red wine and eating a piping hot mince pie

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE As it is, I am going to have to reserve my final vote until Santa is safely back in the North Pole, feet up, sipping a well deserved glass of red wine and eating a piping hot mince pie

Are you trying to shatter my image of Santa relaxing out on the deck in the hot tub, Canadian back bacon sandwich in one hand, bottle of Labatt's Blue in the other, surrounded by elf-"ettes"?

....oh wait....that's MY dream....never mind....

·
Matt Tucker
3,561 Posts
OK here is my two pennies:

SCX

Why?

Very simply value for money. They provide the novice, the tinkerer, the racer and the collector to affordably access a superb range of cars that will provide them all hours of fun in whatever way they want to (that is within the limitations of a slot car!)

- the novice: with the magnet the novice can quciky get to grips with the baisc idea of handling the car wihtout coming off at every corner and getting disheartened
- the tinkerer: has an excellent base to work their magic on
- the racer especially w/o magnets has an excellent motor and chassis to give good competitive and challenging racing
- the collector has an excellently detailed car with crisp clear printing and accurate detailings that grace any cabinet

All that for £24!!

And what new car should they make next?
I wish they would take on the classic 70' and 80's rally cars - a winning combination straight away

Matt

·
John Roche
4,237 Posts
QUOTE I am a big fan of his work or the Rail cars John Moxon Builds which are amazing

Hi Jeff,

I really like Johns cars but didn't mention him as you specifies slot cars.

Does this mean i've wasted my vote? :-0

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
4,634 Posts

My answer (though obviously not absolute) is Fly. I agree with DE38's points totally and love scalextric cars, but having thought about it my answer is still Fly.

Why?

Every Fly car I have bought has been 'trouble'. They need a lot of tinkering, wheel spacing, even replacing stubs with an axle for the front, sometimes new gears, magnet adjustments and all sorts. But the reason I love fly is not all the 'fun'
spent fixing them. And obviously they are not the most sorted rtr - out - of - the - box cars. BUT - after all this, they generally run very well and pretty fast.

Fly cars also have their share of inaccuracies, be it scale or proportion, livery details or what have you. BUT - when they do a car, they release a huge range of liveries, and include appropriate body detailng changes specific to that car (fins, vents or whatever), and generally a lot of detail and a nice finish.

Fly cars aren't cheap, and they usually release the car you want in an even more expensive set, BUT they aren't unaffordable or to scarily priced to race hard.

But the main reason I love Fly cars:
If you have left some cars on the track, and are walking by, just about any other affordable mass make, you might glance at and think 'nice', but if its a fly car there, just a glimpse before i take in what it is, there is a definite WOW!!! (revell's cobra has that too, but since they have such a small range at the moment, i dont think its fair to vote them as the best make). Fly cars are fun to drive and they are absolutely gorgeous. so they are the best!!!

Which car would I like to see?
Ferrari250LM please!

PS Fergy said Fly first so prob vote for him, but i just had to air me views!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE PS Fergy said Fly first so prob vote for him, but i just had to air me views!

Hey, there's 300+ of us and only a handful of manufacturers! It can't be about who picks first! Wish it was though!!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Ninco Mclaren "Gulf"

says it all? nope? well.

My first ninco car all those years ago, never raced, but slid round my home track for many many hours! througholy enjoy driving it, got a loony "day off" livery car for wrexham with an NC3.. oops! enjoy that too.

next car? S4 Delta or a Mk2 Escy! reason? they would do the S4 right, they have the right concoction for a MK2 escy.. NC2 powered no mags rwd balls out rubber smokin beast. That's how I like em, now lets go burn some more rubber!

Rob.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts