SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What manufacturers are currently producing 1/32 slot cars & What models do they produce? Are they for home or club tracks? What cars from defunct manufacturers are being built by current manufacturers. How would you rate the manufacturers for :-

1 - Initial receipt - WOW factor

2 - Quality of body finish

3 - Quality of Chassis

4 - Price - Value for money

5 - Reliability

6 - Pace - Speed & Road holding

7 - Packaging

8 - Scale accuracy

9 -Tyres

10 - Availability including actual and promised supply date

11 - How does performance compare with with similar models from rival manufacturers

12 - Manufacturer support

·
ParrotGod
7,919 Posts
interesting question...it has taken me 6 years (and a lot of cash) to come up with an answer that is always changing as slotcar manufacturing evolves.

6 years is not a huge amount of time, but I have to say that slotcar has evolved a lot since I started in 2014.

There are plenty of interesting options out there.

My suggestion is read this forum where there are plenty of such a review and buy more cars :p

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The answer to your questions would take up a large book.

Generally speaking everyone buys the cars they want for their collection/home track/club track.

The models of cars and manufacturers are too numerous to list.

I would look at what cars are available on the internet and consider what you like and where you will run/race them.

The main current manufacturers include Scalextric, Carrera, Avant Slot, Fly, Slot It, SCX, NSR, Policar, Sideways, ScaleAuto, Pioneer, MRRC, TeamSlot and SRC.

Recently ceased trading manufacturers include Ninco, ProSlot, PowerSlot, G Slot, Revell-Monogram, AutoArt, SRT, Spirit and Proteus.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I out do you a bit Grunz as I had my first Scalextric set in 1960 and became a club member in 1962 with my first car being a Cox GT40, a fantastic car which hit all right the boxes. Two years later I was building my own Brass and piano wire drop arm mura powered Chassis. All pretty competitive but not world beaters. After An around the world trip culminating in several years in Tokyo and getting married . I became a born again sloter, when my grand kids were old enough to hold a hand controller and would race on a rug track with Fly Vipers - Cars I still love. During this lockdown I have assembled a Scalextric track in my low roof loft and usually race time trials against myself cos it gets me away from the wife for a while. I now have a collection of 1700 cars with barely enough room to store them. Therefore I will have to be more particular about future purchases. Hence my Post on which are the best manufacturer's cars to procure.

Note - Scott McLaughlin is one of my current favourite drivers, much better than SVG and i still have Bruce McLaren's autograph from 1963 somewhere.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I out do you a bit Grunz as I had my first Scalextric set in 1960 and became a club member in 1962 with my first car being a Cox GT40, a fantastic car which hit all right the boxes. Two years later I was building my own Brass and piano wire drop arm mura powered Chassis. All pretty competitive but not world beaters. After An around the world trip culminating in several years in Tokyo and getting married . I became a born again sloter, when my grand kids were old enough to hold a hand controller and would race on a rug track with Fly Vipers - Cars I still love. During this lockdown I have assembled a Scalextric track in my low roof loft and usually race time trials against myself cos it gets me away from the wife for a while. I now have a collection of 1700 cars with barely enough room to store them. Therefore I will have to be more particular about future purchases. Hence my Post on which are the best manufacturer's cars to procure.
Note -

Scott McLaughlin is one of my current favourite drivers, much better than SVG and I still have Bruce McLaren's autograph from 1963 somewhere.
So when enugh is enough talking about Slot Cars? NEVER hehehe!

+1700 cars! 😮, quite a nice collection, I must be around +500,began in 2003.😀

Cheers

·
Electric model car driver
1,389 Posts
Seems like 12 questions is way too many to answer regarding any slot car. For me it boils down to two. Do I like it? and, do I want it?

·
Registered
327 Posts
i agree with wobble , with the online stores today they give you a good look at all there stock

so when you see what you like ( which is usually nearly all of them ) it,s just a matter of which you like the MOST

before you click the buy button

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I tend to agree with Wobble. I buy and build slot cars that represent 1:1 cars I like, and if they don't perform as well as hoped, it's usually just a matter of modification until they do.

My starting point is always the rear tyres. Lost count of the standard RTR rubber I've binned.

·
ParrotGod
7,919 Posts
I think a lot of those questions are not about "the what I like" factor but more on the quality/performance of the car and its components.

this is knowledge that you acquire overtime by buying, tuning and racing those products.

If I have to pick one brand that sets the standard for me is Black Arrow.

They have the best chassis/AW pod in the market.

The cars come with a nice set of suspensions that can be easily fine tuned.

The body of the cars (especially the F458) is super-detailed yet very robust and reliable.

The quality of the tuning details (lexan windows, lexan interior, rubber wing etc) is simply astonishing in terms of care of details.

Very good set of tuning parts including light-weight body screws and axles that I regularly use on cars from other manufactures.

The only thing that could be improved are the rear wheels: I would like to have an "air" option - but as an alternative I use NSR wheels or Scaleauto sponge wheels when I race them on DiSCA competitions.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Note - Scott McLaughlin is one of my current favourite drivers, much better than SVG and I still have Bruce McLaren's autograph from 1963 somewhere.
Puzzled or is it just me!!

With 1700 cars you must have some idea what's what!!

Along with Brass chassis's etc

Go with what you like & see other comments that make sense.

Cheers

Mike

·
ParrotGod
7,919 Posts
But I think that he has 1700 cars from his previous life in the slotcar world.

Things have moved a lot...even in the last 6 years there has been a huge development...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts