SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Worthing HO Racing is proud to announce the HO event of early August - so let's give it some big brassy build-up

We're looking at EAHORC Nascar chassis rules*, a big fast oval and a big shiny trophy for the winner - plus a medal for the top junior.

It's a non-championship round, so the winner takes all

So who's coming?

What chassis are you bringing?

What paint-job are you choosing?

And who's going to win

* to be confirmed soon - Tomy SG+, Turbo (no mod magnets) and Mega-G; Life Like 'M' and 'T' cars; Tyco/Mattel 440x2 - all stock (replacement wheels and tyres allowed) and with Nascar bodies (no lexans).

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I could possibly do this, If I am not in Holland

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I'll be re-bodying the mighty Beast (now with added might!) to become Dave Blaney's #22 Caterpillar sponsored Toyota Camry. Of course the bodyshell won't be a Camry but it should still look cool!

I should also have a backup Kodak Gold shell as they're both in a similar shade of yellow!

And I have to say that I feel rather confident about driving my car on a big brassy oval! It's going to be a great night's racing.

·
Registered
337 Posts
QUOTE (woodcote @ 13 Feb 2011, 23:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Worthing HO Racing is proud to announce the HO event of early August - so let's give it some big brassy build-up

We're looking at EAHORC Nascar chassis rules*, a big fast oval and a big shiny trophy for the winner - plus a medal for the top junior.

It's a non-championship round, so the winner takes all

So who's coming?

What chassis are you bringing?

What paint-job are you choosing?

And who's going to win

* to be confirmed soon - Tomy SG+, Turbo (no mod magnets) and Mega-G; Life Like 'M' and 'T' cars; Tyco/Mattel 440x2 - all stock (replacement wheels and tyres allowed) and with Nascar bodies (no lexans).

The other difference to EAHORC rules is that that you do not need your NASCAR's colour/paint scheme to closely represent that of a real life NASCAR. Providing its a NASCAR shell then we're not bothered if its got AFX splashed across it.

Im personally looking forward to this event and fingers crossed it's well received in 2011. Maybe it will become an additonal championship for 2012? I can only hope for now

Theres plenty of Tomy NASCAR bodies in the Club shop at the moment and we can gain more if required.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think I will purchase a couple of Life Like T's and this pair at slot car direct look nice: 2010 Amp #88 Dale Earnhardt Jr. & Dupont #24 Jeff Gordon

·
Registered
337 Posts
There the latest COT (Cars of Tommorrow) NASCARs. Very pretty. I slam mine using AJ .250 double flanged hubs and either put .418 Tyco tires on them to get it as low as possible or .422 to give a little clearance. I lower it as the traction magnets are very small and it makes the car much more driveable. We may have some of this hubs in the club shop in March, i'll pm you when they come in to advise.

I beleive John F is going to get a Life Like T, Dave P has one already and myself and Andy do too.

A great chassis im my eyes

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I had a go on Andy's Life-Like T and I found it quick but I didn't like the fact that the backend will very suddenly give up on you when cornering. It's due to the tiny, tiny traction magnets as you say Robin. It is a fast car though and I do really like those bodyshells though.

I may have to get a T in my collection at some point and definitely an M having had a great time driving one last weekend. A race of 4 M chassis would be pretty sweet: lots of drifting action but very fast cars.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Bear in mind the Life-like COT body is not the best handling.

Best bet is to get a couple of T chassis from lucky bobs then keep an eye out for last-gen Ford Taurus bodies...

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
The Taurus bodies look good and have a low centre of gravity. With a low-ish body and the rear wheel upgrade the Life Like T is much easier to drive. The newer COT Nascars are more drivable with the upgraded rear wheels too.

There are Taurus 'T' cars on Lucky Bob's site. They are on sale for $18 and (with shipping) work out at £14.26. Add in either a pair of Quicker Yellow 250 hubs ($2) or AJs double flanged hubs for a .059" axle ($3.90) and you'll have the whole kit from Bob. Borrow a wheel press from me, Robin or John.

There will be a couple of Tyco / Life Like (.059") AJs hubs in the club shop, together with a batch of Tomy Super-G+ and Turbo rear axles fitted with AJs double flanged wheels (the Tomy axles are a bigger diameter - .063" - and so take different wheels).

The double-flanged wheels are a great upgrade for any chassis - they are better quality wheels (they're usually round and the front flange keeps the tyres on) and also slightly smaller diameter than the stock hubs allowing more experimentation with tyre heights - crucial for adjusting that all important magnetic down-force

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now the Nascar season is back - and wasn't it a stunning Daytona 500 - you might have thoughts on some race format tweaks we could add into the WHO Racing Nascar competition?

Maybe running a much longer 'A' final with regular use of track calls - even 'competition' track calls that allow cars to 'pit' under yellow for a tyre clean and check up?

How would be do a green-white-checkered finish? How about a Lucky Dog pass?

What do you think?

And if you think I'm talking another language - a good guide to Nascar is here

·
Registered
730 Posts
Glad you pionted me here Andy. I really wanna come so I'm seriously thinking about booking the day off work. I love NASCAR and if you race it on an oval that would be so cool.

If I do it will be a LLT, alas not my 09 EAHORC championship winning one as it has a nasty case of wobblyfontwheelitus, under a Taurus rolling on Super Tire shod AJ's. I'm actually a bit excited already!!

I think you could do some interesting things with race format as you say, like making staying on the lead lap (or within a certain range) significant?

Segmented finals would I think be really cool especially on an oval so you get a real across the line finish rather than the time running out. Then if there was a track call within a certain range of the projected finish say 30s or ten laps the restart gets done from the start line all the cars together but the car that caused the 'yellow' gets put ahead of the sensors thereby losing a lap for causing it.

In fact you could do that for the whole final for every crash to keep it close to the end, something NASCAR are not shy of but the standard of driving would have to be fairly high in order to get the thing done.

DQ for causing three yellows in one race, but still scoring the laps obtained at point of disqualification?

Needs a lot more thought, hope some of it makes some kind of sense to someone. Just trying to think of ways to make it more like a NASCAR race than a slot race. Be interesting to see what you guys come up with.

Anyway I need to calm down
Have your thread back, thanks for your time.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nascar aficionados - keep the ideas coming between now and August

I think some spectacular ideas for the A final would be great - as Marc says because 'cautions' would be less frequent.

Some of the ideas could be tried out on a smaller scale beforehand.

I definitely need to capture some 'gentlemen, start your engines' audio clips

Dave and me are going to look at some gentle banking too.

No-one tempted by a Life Like M car?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Andy, your LifeLike M comment was put there deliberately to lure me in wasn't it!

I've no idea what I'll be running as August is several WHO and EAHORC meets away and also a fair few cars being bought away I expect!

The oval track was always the one that everyone suggested a Turbo might be interesting on so with my additional knowledge of chassis such as the LifeLike this has just made the choice of what to run even harder!

Just looked over the Nascar rules from EAHORC and the SRT isn't listed. Surely it would be fairer to race an SRT rather than a Turbo against SGs and LLTs? Would the Beast with the advanced timing selected be my best option but a boringly safe one?

Argh, too much choice.

Are you going to have your Brighton oval set up by then? Maybe some long winded and scientific testing of all options is required to draw up some competitive rules.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Having had a chat with Dave over a cup of coffee last week, I think we'll go will experimenting with gently banking some wide radius turns. We are also playing with the idea of 6-lanes, although there are plenty of upgrades necessary to add the extra two lanes - especially with power and lap timing - that make it problematic.

One thing that came up - if you think that Marc and me were speaking a foreign language in earlier posts, you might be right! So, maybe it's time you embraced stock car racing and follow a couple of Nascar race weekends

The Nascar website has loads of short videos and a FAQ section. I usually listen to the race on a Sunday evening on 92.5 The Bear but you can watch the race on Sky somewhere (Premier Sports?) or find a live TV stream on the internet. Then there is a 'Race rewind' highlights video on the Nascar website by lunchtime Monday.

After that you'll understand more about Nascar, have a favourite (and least favourite) driver and you'll get the in-jokes in Talledega Nights

It'll certainly make our Nascar events more enjoyable, but it's probably not going to help you win

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (woodcote @ 8 Mar 2011, 10:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It'll certainly make our Nascar events more enjoyable, but it's probably not going to help you win

That's right because the Beast is going to be eating some Taco Bell on its way to an epic victory!

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
I need convincing over the 6-lane. I can see many positive aspects. It would of course be fab for the finals - allowing partially segmented finals with, maybe, the pick of 2 or 3 lanes to run in the final (separated by a 'competition yellow') and aggregate the scores. But - again - it means an entirely new lap timing set-up, plus new power connections, power taps, more power (we run 5amps - less than 1amp per lane), new drivers stations etc. Plus a new batch of 18" curves and some new straights...

1 - 20 of 93 Posts