SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Well it has been over a year since I managed to wake up on a friends floor in the Marina and miss my lift to the EAHORC race with Robin and Andy (sorry again about that!) so I thought I'd show my face around here again.

I've just organised with my boss to leave work slightly early next Wednesday which means I should make it to The Barn around about 6.30pm for my first WHO Racing visit. Very excited about it although I've not driven for a year so I'm not expecting miracles in terms of lap time. Indeed last time I drove my brother was beating me by over a second a lap.

Annoyingly I forgot to bring my garage back with me from my parents on Sunday so I'll have to borrow a club car if that's still ok?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Bribed my brother with a pint so I've got my cars.
They won't be quick but I'll bring them along anyway as it is a nice collection of AFX cars.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Is your brother in the UK now then?

Incidentally, there is an EAHORC race in Kent a few days after the Worthing meeting, and there might be space in the WHOmobile LOL

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
He's returning to Germany today after a family visit but I actually have three brothers so used another one to ferry the cars down!

I should probably wait to see how well I fair on Wednesday before signing up to too many races. As I said I'm very rusty and I would like to try and build up my speed first.

On the subject of speed I take it the Tomy Turbo chassis has absolutely no chance against the Tyco F1s? It's a shame because I have a brand new Nigel Mansell Williams Renault and his Newman Haas indycar to try out. They're still sealed!

If that is the case I shall definitely be getting myself an F1 at some point.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
The Turbo 'red 5':

was one of those clever suggestion schemes they do so well, with the Tyco one being a more faithful (and I assume licensed) offering. I used to run that one a lot, but the back wing is vulnerable and it broke one too many times.

If you go for a Mansell Tyco how about this one:

Generally speaking I would not expect a Turbo to live with a sorted Tyco unless the track is an oval or a very simple track with all long straights.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hey, don't make it seem less special!! Lol!

I'll post a snap of the Williams Renault later. Its the usual turbo shape but I've not seen the exact same paint job before now and I already have about three of the regular Williams Hondas.

That Tyco car looks quite nice actually. I'm looking forward to testing one out. At some point, I'd like to do a back to back test between Turbo, Tyco 440 and one of my Super G cars. Just so I can feel the difference in grip and performance for myself.

Because I always grew up with AFX, I was always a bit snobby about other HO brands for some ridiculous reason. I'll have to grow up a bit and accept that a Turbo is no longer the best thing since sliced bread!

I keep seeing people mentioning the Marchon MR-1 chassis as being quite quick. I used to have a fairly substantial Marchon layout but we sold it when my parents forced us to choose between AFX and Marchon. It was never particularly quick as I recall.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Yeah, the Tyco F1 is pretty nice as HO open wheelers go (certainly nicer than the SG+), the standard bearer until the Mega-G came along.

Marchons came in several guises, but the ones you have seen mentioned have probably been heavily 'EAHORCed' up. Red motors from the Turbo fitted, several tweaks, and blueprinted to with a mm of it's life. Top off with a Micro Scalextric F40 body attached via a self tapper...

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
My kid brothers (now 20 and 21) had a Tyco F1 set and I've just found a very beaten up Ferrari Tyco F1 in my garage. Took a good range of photos this evening but can't find the lead to connect the camera to my PC. Need my missus to find it and then I'll post them up.

Really wish I'd brought some track to my flat so I could do some practising. Will have to do that this year. Something else for the cats to chase apart from the helicopters and hovercraft!

By the way Deane, would you happen to have any body mount kits or ideas on how to mount the lexan AFX shells? I've got a couple of them and some brand new Turbo chassis for them. Still got grease on the pinion and crown gear!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Do you mean the stuff AFX did in a fairly thick lexan? There was a Minolta Supra, a BMW 3 series and a Texaco Sierra etc?

I would talk to the WHO guys, there may be a way to fit them to something and run them in one of their classes. if that does not pan out I suspect either Midland HO or HO racing ahead will have the correct (clear) clips for the Turbo fitment.

Going back to the Marchons, they are actually an infamous name around the UK race scene. Back when Hornby sold them here under their Micro Scalextric brand one or two of the top-shots from that time had rubbished them, one even doing so in print.

When they turned out to eat everything else we were allowed to run back then (not much LOL) alive once given some TLC and part-sorting, a civil war that still rumbles on today got underway. Who knew that could happen when talking about toy cars?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Tony sells the Lexan body clips for Turbos, I think thet're £1 each, Barry (Slotcarsdirect) also sells them, the original Tomy kit car comes with a clear body clip, the ones Tony has are black but work the same way.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Those are the ones. Thanks guys. I do have one of them mounted and a couple more shells to go on. The BMW is an absolutely horrendous moulding. One of the windows is half the size of the other!

We once did some comparisons where we built a Marchon track on top of an identical AFX layout. Bit tricky driving the AFX cars obviously as you couldn't see much of them but even hampered like that they still beat the basic Marchon car.

I'm definitely a lot more grown up now in that I'll happily run a Tyco F1 if it is the car to have in club racing although it does mean I have half a dozen redundant turbo F1 cars!

I have a couple of friends who are interested in coming along on Wednesday too. Hope that's going to be ok? I don't know if they'll end up competing all year but I've just got one of them into small R/C planes so he might get the bug!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (Gareth @ 7 Jan 2011, 13:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Those are the ones. Thanks guys. I do have one of them mounted and a couple more shells to go on. The BMW is an absolutely horrendous moulding. One of the windows is half the size of the other!

The Sierra isn't a lot better, everyone of them I've seen including mine has the window on one side painted on halfway down the door, the green wire motor is the one to have though.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I've only seen one of the green wire motors. That would explain why we didn't notice much of a performance increase!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The green wire arm isn't vastly quicker than the red, the best red I've measured is 6.0 ohm and my green wire motor is just under 5 ohms.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
QUOTE (Gareth @ 7 Jan 2011, 13:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a couple of friends who are interested in coming along on Wednesday too. Hope that's going to be ok? I don't know if they'll end up competing all year but I've just got one of them into small R/C planes so he might get the bug!

The more the merrier

Could be a bumper turn-out to start 2011

We have clips to mount lexan bodies on both the Tomy Super-G+ and Turbo / SRT chassis. The latter fits (with a bit of work) on the 1.5 (short wheel base) Mega-G chassis too. Any of those are eligible in our Mod class.

It'll definitely be worthwhile getting away from work a bit early each month - should be a great season. You'll be included in the 'Rookie of the Year' competition along with all 2011 newcomers, plus those who did three meetings or less in 2010 - who are listed here.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (woodcote @ 7 Jan 2011, 18:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It'll definitely be worthwhile getting away from work a bit early each month - should be a great season. You'll be included in the 'Rookie of the Year' competition along with all 2011 newcomers, plus those who did three meetings or less in 2010 - who are listed here.

F1 and Mod are seperate competitions aren't they? I'm probably going to focus on F1 this season and do some mod but possibly not all. I'm not sure yet, we'll see how we go!

What are the rules on the Nascar rounds? Didn't see them listed on the site.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts