Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi All, I have checked the rules for Mod class and it appears I can use the turbo(+) upgrade in this class a couple of questions though I have recently got an old midnight marathon set wqith a porsche and jag cars---the kids love these and want to race them but with lights fitted they wiegh nearly as much as me(if that is possible lol). Are the lights easy to remove and replace to use at at home or will a new boddy be needed? Also are mags a standard size,,i:e if it fits in a turbo will it fit a life like.
Many thanks Mike M

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Mike

The lights should be simple to enough to remove. You might find they are plastic welded in but a light scribe with a scapel should see them come out and if you want to return them at a later date just use a touch of superglue.

Not sure on mags but I doubt life-like and turbo's are interchangable.

Daz

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hi Mike,

As Darren says, the light boards are easy to remove. Just take out the screws and then lever it out breaking the plastic weld as you do. A bonus of doing this is you can replace any busted LEDs while you are doing it.

The Jaguar and Porsche bodies are still pretty heavy with a lot of overhang beyond the front and rear axles so the boys may find the bodies still cause them a few issues. I'd recommend a lighter body personally (Porsche 959, Testarossa, BMW M1) or even a lexan. They'll get the full benefit of those magnets then.

The Turbo upgrade won't fit into the LifeLike. Robin has bought upgraded magnets for the LifeLike before. I'm sure if you ask nicely he'll tell you where from!

Cheers
Gareth

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All good advice there. I think the Turbos with the mags you used the other night will be very good in Mod. Some people get on with the Life Like Ts - I never have done - but it's good to try different chassis and see what works for you.

Although you won't be able to use the gold mags in F1 next year, I am looking at being able to upgrade a Racing Turbo using the stock Tomy SRT magnets. Look out over on the October F1 thread. We'll have some of the Tomy magnet blocks to use.

·
Registered
337 Posts
QUOTE (pne4ever @ 8 Oct 2011, 11:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi All, I have checked the rules for Mod class and it appears I can use the turbo(+) upgrade in this class a couple of questions though I have recently got an old midnight marathon set wqith a porsche and jag cars---the kids love these and want to race them but with lights fitted they wiegh nearly as much as me(if that is possible lol). Are the lights easy to remove and replace to use at at home or will a new boddy be needed? Also are mags a standard size,,i:e if it fits in a turbo will it fit a life like.
Many thanks Mike M

There is level 48 neo magnets available in the club shop for the life like T. They come as a kit with a drill piece but you can change the magnets without drilling. I'll show you how
. You'll need to run standard rear hubs and play around with tire heights to get the best combination of traction and speed.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It has occured to me that it would be very good to get my LifeLike T's traction magnets measured and find out why that particular car has so much grip compared to every other LL-T I've seen!

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is going to bring to this final Mod round of the year. It should (theoretically) be the quickest race of the entire season based upon the development race that has been going on all year. I used John's race winning car from the Feb race for a couple of heats last time out and while fast, it definitely wasn't quick enough to dominate like it did back then.

So far I know that we'll be seeing three Turbo+, at least one Mega G and John's Martech Marchon MR-1.

I'm bringing my LifeLike T, an MR-1 I have been tinkering with and another special chassis which I'm looking forward to trying out and will be my main race car.

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be running my Mega-G Audi for one last time. My aim is a fourth successive 'A' final and the top hard-body honours.

Can't resist another pic:

There are so many avenues available to people in WHO Mod. I think this year is just a taster for what might come next season.

I have a couple of ideas on the drawing board for 2012. I think I will either continue with my Mega-G project, but go short-wheel-base and lexan; or create Franken-Tyco's monster. But maybe I'll do something completely different

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
That was the Mega G I knew would be competing...of course you had told me you were going to run it so don't ask me for lottery numbers or anything!

I'm intrigued to see what Mike D, Darren, Callum, Robin, Dave and Simon come up. I think all of those guys have a good shot at an A Final place.

I'm presuming John will stick with his MR-1 as his main car. It has won him enough races for him to trust it after all! But is it going to be an automatic step into the A Final for him (barring mechanical failures) or will 4 drivers manage to develop some new rockets.

My LifeLike can almost keep pace with him. Hopefully I can add the next evolution to the car to make it an MR-1 beater.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think A final mod is a little out of my reach, I`m working on a lexan to go on a super G, if I don`t make a complete bodge job of it, we should see that.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I just noticed the Mod rules imply that after-market magnets have to be the same shape as the magnets they replace and in the same location. I have never seen the HC holders for the Turbo, but I know the ones I made (that Tony uses and sells) were very different from the Tomy originals.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I have been assuming that as long as the general overall outline of magnet plus holder is the same as the original Turbo bar magnet (the wider one with the lumps on the ends) then they'll be ok.

The magnets I've been looking at on various sites seem to follow this but we'll wait for an official edict from Robin or Woodcote.

p.s. Stop trying to spoil our fun. We want to race the Mega Turbos, not see them banned!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Gareth, you misunderstand. I am all for stuff running, I was the first HO guy to buck the then-trend of fearing any changes.

But the wording does state:

Traction Magnets:

Maximum of two traction magnets. Open choice on strength and material but must retain standard chassis position and size.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I didn't misunderstand at all Deane! I was teasing you which is why I put this symbol in:
It is called a smiley and is used to symbolise that a statement is meant to be a joke.

Next week Alanis Morrisette explains irony and Lewis Hamilton sings When I Think About You, I Touch Your Car by the Divinyls to Felipe Massa.

In terms of the rule, I do think the only question is whether the magnets plus holder or replacement polymer part or moulded plastic piece with neos glued in is the same size as the original Turbo large bar magnet. If it is then there shouldn't be a problem. And if it is bigger, how does it fit into the car?

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Robin will be the final arbiter in this, as Mod is his class, but I would read the mags rule:

Maximum of two traction magnets. Open choice on strength and material but must retain standard chassis position and size.
alongside this one:

No part of the chassis may be cut, sanded, drilled, glued or otherwise interfered with unless it is for the purpose of fitting a body to the chassis or to access enclosed traction magnets. All general wear must be by natural means only.
The two together suggest to me that racers may only put traction magnets into the holes that exist for the original magnets in the chassis. You can use smaller mags and fill out the space (not with glue), but that space remains the same.

I know the rule doesn't state that exactly, but that's the interpretation that we've worked with so far.

WHO 'case law' suggests that, for a Turbo, the position and size refers to the bar magnet or an SRT-type magnet holder. I would also imagine that the Harden Creek style neos for the Tyco and SG+ are perfectly legal because they fit precisely into the space of the stock magnets. No-one has used these yet, but I'm sure Terry will get some business over the off-season

What you can't do is alter the chassis in any way to fit wider magnets in, say, a Life Like T or to fit neos in a chassis like a Life Like M that never had traction mags in the first place.

I've found a few SRT-style neo bricks that fit in the old (Mk1) version of the Mega-G that I run in mod. But only Barry's fit in the current chassis without shaving the chassis and gluing the new mags in - which is illegal. Even so, Barry's are a bit of a tight fit and don't fill the whole window - easy to spot for F1

Of course, there are after-market polymer and neo options for other chassis - like the Tyco and SG+.

However, remember that motor magnets and armatures remain stock only. That will limit the traction mags you can use without melting your car

I'm looking forward to the battles to de-throne John. I suspect he'll continue to get faster too

·
Registered
337 Posts
If anyone has any questions about the magnet rules in Mod then read Andy's Post prior to this one. I would of explained myself but Andy's fingers hit the keyboard before mine

Right, im off to see how many baked beans can legally fit ony my piece of toast!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
The resin block that I supply with the neo magnets, is the same size and shape as the Turbo bar magnet

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Are these the ones I had made? If so they may well fill the same aperture in a chassis, but that means little. The spaces for magnets allow them to be much lower to the rails than you get with the SRT device.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It doesn't matter if they allow the magnets to be nearer the rail. Andy and Robin have clarified that these are legal for WHO Mod as they fit in the space for the bar magnet but that they won't be legal for F1 as they are not the stock item for either the SRT or Turbo.

I think this last round of the season and next season in Mod are going to be Jeff* and I can't wait.

And having heard some possible future ideas that may be in the pipeline as well, I think it is fair to say that WHO in Season 3 and 4 is going to be absolutely amazing. Something for everyone.

*This is Jeff. Jeff saved £200 on his car insurance and now he feels EPIC. Therefore Jeff = Epic. Epic = Jeff.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts