SlotForum banner

WHO Racing 2011 Round 2 - February 2

9K views 103 replies 13 participants last post by  montoya1 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm having a tough time deciding what car to run in this one! I've got a Turbo with a Tomy lexan shell or I can run an SG+ Nascar or an SG Group C car. Or I can see if I can get the lexan shell on top of the SG chassis. Hmm, that sounds very tempting actually!!

A couple of n00b questions I have after reading through the rules:

1. What on earth are shunts?!?

2. O rings as front tyres. Are they really that much of an improvement?

#3 ·
Shunts - Shunts are basicallly braided wire that is soldered between the shoe holders and brushes barrels. In theory it provides additonal electrical connection between the two. I've yet to see a HO car in the Uk with them and they are not allowed within the current rules for Who Racing or EAHORC.

O Ring front tires are thinner and therefore create less friction so roll easier but then you also get less traction. I wouldn't say they will give you a great leap in performance but others may disagree. You could use them at Who Racing on the front end but the front end must not be independent e.g both front wheels are not allowed to spin independently of one another.

#5 ·
After a cracking start to the season a couple of weeks ago, we are gearing up for next Wednesday's start to the Mod class Championship. These are the fastest cars we run at the club. Remember, you can use one of our club cars or race your own car that complies with the rules.

As usual, doors will open at 6.30pm for practice, with racing starting at 7pm sharp and ending around 9.00pm. Entry is £2.50 per racer (spectators free). If you bring your own car to race, you'll get a 50p discount

Each month we are unveiling something new at the club. In January it was Dave's excellent WHO Racing championship board. This month we have put together a club shop selling a few cars that can be used at our events plus all the necessary spares like tyres, pick-up shoes and gears.

And finally, yours truly will be appearing on the 'Sussex Challenge' on BBC Radio Sussex this Thursday morning between 9.30 and 10. I'll be representing WHO Racing and West Sussex in the quiz that Robin appeared on last year. It was my turn to draw the short straw

#7 ·
Fifteen out of our 26 racers last month used their own cars. Will it be a similar number this month?

I know of four racers who are likely to race their Life-Like T cars. Another who is putting a Corvette body on his Tyco. We also have four juniors who won Super Racing Turbos last December - all fitted out with lexan bodies.

The small number of people who raced their own cars in Mod last year tended to pick Super-Gs - Ashley winning November's race with a very fast SG+ with a lexan body.

I am currently figuring out how to fit a lexan to the short wheelbase Mega-G car. If I don't figure it out by next Wednesday, I'll run the Mega-G with a hard body - the same set-up that won last September.

So what are you all bringing?

#9 ·
I'll be trying out a one of my SG cars. Body type and design to be decided. I have a number of choices. Silk cut Jag (without the ciggie sponsorship) would be a personal favourite but then it is a hard body. Or I can squeeze a lexan BMW on there.

#11 ·
QUOTE (diesel @ 26 Jan 2011, 12:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm hoping the decision to allow Lexan in the Mod class will not spell the phasing out the use of hard bodies as uncompetative. Be interesting to see if a performance gulf appears.

Lexan Bodies were always allowed in the MOD Class rules from the very begining of Who Racing,so its nothing new.

The main point of MOD class though is to open up these option to members so they can chop and change things on there cars.

I run a hard body in Mod and it doesn't worry me

#14 ·
I think an MR-1 is going to be fast. Set-up just right, maybe faster than a hard-bodied Like-Like T. But will either out-pace a lexan-bodied, hopped-up Super-G? And how will the UK SRTs (aka Barry's SRTs and Tony Turbos) match up with their high-strength neo traction magnets?

I guess we'll see through the rest of the season. All I know is that it'll be fun and we'll probably all need good excuses

I'll get my excuse in quick:

I don't think the Mega-G is the fastest chassis, but I want to explore how fast it will go and what can be done to it (legally) to make it go faster

#15 ·
QUOTE (woodcote @ 26 Jan 2011, 17:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think an MR-1 is going to be fast. Set-up just right, maybe faster than a hard-bodied Like-Like T. But will either out-pace a lexan-bodied, hopped-up Super-G? And how will the UK SRTs (aka Barry's SRTs and Tony Turbos) match up with their high-strength neo traction magnets?

I guess we'll see through the rest of the season. All I know is that it'll be fun and we'll probably all need good excuses

I'll get my excuse in quick:

I don't think the Mega-G is the fastest chassis, but I want to explore how fast it will go and what can be done to it (legally) to make it go faster

It's ok folks, i'll check his cars legal

For Mod Class this year i'll be using the following setup:

Standard Super G chassis and motor.

Standard Grey 2 dot magnets (slightly stronger than the later standard black magnets - but the grey ones are now getting quite old so probably lost a bit of strength)

BSRT pickups (I had some so just like to use them)

Standard 25th tooth gear and 7 tooth pinion

.250 AJ Rear hubs with .422 Tyco Tires.

BSRT front hubs (no different to normal hubs except they are made out of a harder plastic and have a neat 5 spoke design)

Johnny Lighting body with Hooters Decals (This I will alter in time as I think I should be making an example by using a sports car type body for Mod Class races and save the Nascar Hooters shell for the non championship NASCAR races)

I must admit that im looking forward to the NASCAR events at Who Racing more than any other this year. Who knew oval racing would be so fun.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
In the calm HO backwater of the Worthing HO Racing forum...

The radio slot on BBC Sussex went okay. A 2-2 draw in the quiz with some author of a book about Hastings pirates. I guess diesel had divided loyalties, but my sincerest apologies to all in West Sussex that I didn't bring home the spoils

And some good plugs for the club by the presenter this time. A replay of the show is available on the BBC Sussex website. But I wouldn't bother. Time better spent on preparing your cars. But if you do - fast forward to 3 hours 45 minutes.

Only six days to get those mod cars ready

#19 ·
It is a terrifying prospect isn't it!

Will do on the wheel front. You'll know how serious I am getting with the hobby when I turn up with my own wheel press! Started looking at Dremels on ebay today as well....

By the way did I mention that I've found a super cheap source of 8 x 4 for tables in Brighton? I was planning to tell you but may have got side tracked! £7 - £12 which is a lot better than the prices I saw on B&Q's site.

#21 ·
QUOTE (woodcote @ 27 Jan 2011, 17:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You might not remember mentioning that, but I do.

At around the same time you also mentioned that you'd give me your entire HO car collection if you failed to make the A final next week

I was drunk but I wasn't that drunk!

Besides do you really want 4 identical top heavy Peugeot 205 GTis?

Testing has been delayed till tomorrow on account of hangover and being tired!

#22 ·
Fresh from the test track I am slightly perplexed. I've cleaned and rebuilt a couple of my SG chassises. Both have the grey 2 dot magnets but I am not getting anywhere near the grip levels of Andy's Taco Bell car which he has kindly lent me to try out. I'm running one car on silicone rears and the other on slightly sanded rubber rears. Do you think this is due to the magnets degrading due to age or will the grip ramp up the more laps I put onto the silicone rears?

I've used my newest SG chassis which is only a couple of years old with not much less than delivery mileage on it but I'm still not seeing the handling I'd expect.

Any ideas?

#24 ·
Is it speed or handling?

Handling will be affected by the height at the front and the back. At the back it's about getting the traction mags down. At the front (did you get the BSRT wheels on?) is about getting the pin in the groove. And overall, it's about a lowest possible centre of gravity.

The wheels you have are Tomy Turbo with .418" Supertires on them. That came in at .428" when I measured them - about .004" higher than what's on the #34 car (which has the AJ wheels Robin mentions). What you could do is swap the axle from the #34 car and see if that makes a difference. And then use the Taco Bell body (unless you're using a lexan - stay with that). It might not be just the extra .004" and the weight of the body - but if it is you see how small the margins are on these cars

Another thing is changing the timing on the armature - 'easy' to do on a Super-G+:

Looking down on the chassis press down the endbell (the black bit that goes across the chassis at the front of the motor) on the left side. You may hear a click or two as the end bell rotates slightly. This advances (I think) the timing and pressing down on the right side 'retards' the timing.

If you look from the front, you see an arrow and 3 notches - to the right is advanced and to the left is retarded and the middle is neutral.

Basically you should feel a difference in performance on each setting. Advance should give you more speed. Retard should give you better control on a twisty track. But, hey, that's just the theory. Find what works for you and the car.

The other thing is to keep running the car - it may get better - and make sure no oil gets on the commutator - that will kill the speed. Use a little oil but not too much. The silicones might improve a little as they lose their shine, but not seriously. Make sure they're straight on the hubs.

Pick ups could also be an issue. Clean and flat is what you want, so the rail is in contact the whole length, not just at the front.

These things should help - but don't tell anyone else my secrets okay?

#25 ·
I have been asked by the higherarcy !! what car and set up I shall be using for Wednesday's mod event. They obviously think I might be a threat

Well rest assured it will be the Super G that Ashley drove so brilliantly in the November meeting and won both medals. I am hoping for the same sucess but realistically the opposition will be a lot stronger as most of the members have their own cars now. Lets hope a good time is had by all and most of all the racing is competitive

#26 ·
Thanks for the tips. The problem seems to be related to rear grip. Around the faster corners of the test track, the car is swapping ends on me whereas #34 sticks at that speed. I'll try switching axles and see if that improves things and try switching shells. I couldn't get the lexan BMW onto the SG chassis. Not with the current clip that is fitted.

Speedwise I think I'm ok but I will do a bit more running, wheels on and wheels off to make sure.

In terms of oiling, the commutator is the bit at the top of the armature that the bushes make contact with right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.