SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Back to open-wheel racing for the second round of our Formula One championship.

This is a stock class and our club cars are Tyco 440x2 F1 cars with silicone rear tyres. The rules are here.

All our F1 races have been won by Tyco cars - so far. With some of our racers using Tomy Turbo, Tomy Super-G+ and Tomy Mega-G cars, will the Tyco dominance be broken in 2011?

Here's the video from our last round to whet your appetites:

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (woodcote @ 7 Feb 2011, 11:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry, I'd forgotten about the Super-G plans.

I still think that could be the ultimate chassis in WHO F1 - but it is going to have to be set up perfectly, especially on twisty tracks. You've already shown that you put the work in when it comes to set-up and preparation, so maybe you're the person to fulfill the Super-Gs potential?

Perhaps this discussion can move over to the March F1 event thread

I think after 91 posts in the Feb thread, it probably is time like you say to focus on the March event thread. A WHO racing event thread record was set there though! I love that each event becomes even more than just the actual racing itself!

I'm only keen on driving the SG because it is what I am most familiar with apart from the Turbo and we've already seen that the Turbo is never going to really threaten a Tyco around a circuit. I think if I had always had a stable of Tycos I would probably be always racing one of those but I haven't, I'm not and now the fun begins!

I have a much bigger program to work through in terms of car preparation than I did for Mod. I'm also thinking of being slightly different (again!) from other people and actually having my F1 car and Mod car be completely seperate. It flies in the face of conventional wisdom but as I don't have the wheel press or release yet, I would like to avoid having to rebuild the car for each event. Plus I don't want to put too much strain on the front axles each time in case I bend them.

If I could buck the trend and score an A Final win with the SG I'll be a very happy bunny indeed! Actually if I ever manage an A Final win full stop, I'll be happy!
It will be interesting to see how things go with what is a very level playing field in the world of F1.

I will be bringing a Tyco along as well.

I'm looking forward to doing some more back to back testing except this time I'll have silicone tyres fitted which will properly replicate race night conditions.

I had a question actually. Why isn't the SRT listed in the chassis list? Are the magnets fitted to that car just too powerful compared to any of the others in the class?

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
owensy - they are done on bog-standard desk top publishing (DTP) and graphics programs. I do the fliers on PagePlus (version 9?). I 'export as picture' and then scale down the jpeg to 640 pixels wide so it fits nicely on slot forum

RobinRacer did the logo - the one above and the one with the Cobra Daytona on our website. I think he used the graphics stuff that comes with Microsoft Publisher, but my memory is struggling on that one.

You can get free trials of both online.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gareth, I think you're right about keeping the two cars apart. The set-ups may need to be slightly different and - yes - it's not ideal to keep changing the front axle back and forth.

As for the SRT, I will never say never

It's not on the list at the moment as I didn't do any comparisons last season and suspected - as you did - that the neo traction magnets might give it an advantage, even on stock rubber tyres.

My plan during 2011 is to see how things go with what we have now, do some testing if people would like to see other chassis included and maybe re-jig the rules for 2012. The aim being to have a wide range of chassis available, but having the Tyco as the benchmark - for the next couple of years at least.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
That all sounds very sensible to me! And I admire the forward thinking and planning that goes into the chassis selection and rule making. So much more going on behind the scenes than people suspect!

I've not actually driven an SRT yet but I have stuck it on the end of my ever growing shopping list for the future. Just to tinker and play and see what I think of it. Especially if I put the green wind motor in for a laugh!

I still would like to mess about with my Turbos and see how I like driving one with silicones. Is there a set size of tyre that is suitable for that one or could it be improved with smaller wheels and trying to get the back end lower I wonder.

So much to do and so little time. This work thing keeps getting in the way of valuable slot car test time. I need a lottery win baaaad!

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Last time we had 15 people racing their own F1 cars. Gareth will join that band on 2nd March and so will I (just checking the new club cars were good last time - and they were).

Two racers have put in orders for Tyco F1s which we'll get from the HO Racing Ahead shop at the Yelling EAHORC round on 20 February. If you'd like to add to that order, let us know. Car and silicone tyres for £12. I'm very happy to get your car cleaned, tuned and ready to race for 2nd March

And what am I racing? It's either my trusty Tyco, a new Mega-G or the Super-G+ I raced twice last year.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Well I had bought myself these Tyco F1s for racing but after seeing what superb condition they are in, quite frankly there is no chance! I'll bring them along but I'll be needing some shonky old indy shell to whack on the chassis for driving if I decide the track is too twisty for the SG. Really makes you think who would buy one of the tatty F1 shells on ebay usually with missing front and rear wings.

Here's the photos.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Those look great in the photos, but even better in the flesh.

They definitely deserve to be looked after, but cars do need to be raced

I've decided to 'retire' my Tyco Budweiser body shell (below, with the Taco Bell SG+)

The Bud Tyco has survived 14 EAHORC events and still has its front wings intact. Maybe that says something about my driving style, but it shows that those flimsy front wings can last more than a couple of heats

The rear wing has been glued back when I bought it and has been re-glued a couple of times and now one of the struts has gone. It'll go into the woodcote hall of fame. The #34 Nascar will be getting plenty more run-outs though

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I was amazed how smooth running both the chassis were. A little glss fibre pen clean of the pick ups and that was it. Bring on the silicone tyres to get them moving!

Testing yesterday was decidedly worrying when I managed a time only 2/10ths slower than the SG in a rubber tyred Tyco.

I'm going to work through a very detailed list of tuning items on the SG prior to the WHO meet. And also bin the ground down slick tyres. I appear to have used excessive force during the grinding process and over heated the tyre surface. This has led to them looking rather shiny and having less grip than a stock SG. A word of warning there for anyone grinding down tyres. Do not use excessive force and allow the tyre to cool down regularly to avoid overheating.

Don't forget the Taco Bell shell on Sunday Andy! I'll still need to borrow it for the quicker than ever Beast: now with terrifyingly fast rear axle.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can certainly be the guest driver in the #34 before you decide on your own colour scheme.

Jayski has catalogued almost all Nascar liveries over the past few years and some going back to 1997. You'll find Pattos has decals for most of the past 5-10 years - an enormous choice.

But don't take too long to choose - I'll need the #34 back for the WHO Nascar round in August

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Thank you sir, you are most kind and you make an excellent cup of tea too!

Don't worry, I plan to have my car done looong before then! Even if it will divert some funds away from the track budget!

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (woodcote @ 8 Feb 2011, 13:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Two racers have put in orders for Tyco F1s which we'll get from the HO Racing Ahead shop at the Yelling EAHORC round on 20 February. If you'd like to add to that order, let us know. Car and silicone tyres for £12. I'm very happy to get your car cleaned, tuned and ready to race for 2nd March

Two more Tycos are now on the shopping list. It's an early start Sunday, so last orders by 9pm Saturday please

The track plan will be posted here next Wednesday to give you all a bit of time to set up your cars - lower the tyres for a bit more downforce or higher for a bit more straight-line speed. All I can tell you now is that the design I'm working on is around 82 feet in length...

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Gareth,

If you want a scabby old Tyco body with a broken wings just for racing see me at Yelling on Sunday, I'll try and remember to bring one with me.

Julian

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Those curves look strangely familiar

1 - 20 of 68 Posts