SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just two weeks to our next event and it's back to open-wheel racing for the third round of our Formula One championship.

This is a stock class and our club cars are Tyco 440x2 F1 cars with silicone rear tyres. The rules are here.

Here's the video from our last round to whet your appetites:

Simon won the last F1 race with his new Tomy Mega-G, making him the first non-Tyco winner in WHO F1 history. With Gareth and John hot from their national 'A' final appearances last Sunday, and Darren preparing his new Mega-G, will the 'A' final be a Tomy clean-sweep?

I intend to have something to say about that (I'll be running a Tyco) and I suspect Diesel will have a leaner and meaner MicroScalextric ready for action

What do you reckon?

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Great video!
That single seater McDonalds car looks nice, the HO cars have come a long way detail wise lately!
Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If you're running a Tyco then I have a sneaky suspicion that the track maybe on the twisty side. Looking forward to it so much. Hard to believe but in January at my last WHO F1 race, I was still using the club controllers, club cars and it was my first club race!

I'm very pleased with my Mega G. It has WHO legal, rubber tyres ready that MARTECH kindly prepared and supplied to me for the car at three different diameters and of course those awesome front wheel discs and front wing reduction.

And best of all, I have the day off that day so can arrive early to help with set up if required. Although it is only because I have the dentist in the morning. Getting my teeth fixed ready for when I finally win a race so I can do this:

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
QUOTE (loosesalute @ 19 Apr 2011, 20:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great video!
That single seater McDonalds car looks nice, the HO cars have come a long way detail wise lately!
Cheers,
Kev

Unlike the curves you were asking about in the DHORC at Donny thread, the McD Panoz is very rare.

(and, yes, I have one)

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt if we'll ever see a McDonald's Champcar in any of our races - but it looks good on the poster

At the moment the Mega-Gs are only available from the US. If you'd like to get one for your HO garage, let us know.

There are 3 'real-life' Champcar bodies and quite a few 'fantasy' liveries (some better than others). Or there are white, unpainted body shells that can be painted and decorated as you wish - like the Camel car below.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (woodcote @ 20 Apr 2011, 09:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I doubt if we'll ever see a McDonald's Champcar in any of our races - but it looks good on the poster

You can buy a McDonalds SG+ Champcar from that well known auction site should you be desperate for a McDonalds liveried car and aren't too fussed which car it is. Buy It Now for £13.78 which is a bit of a bargain.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
That's true. I was thinking of the Mega-G version which was only ever produced as a pre-production prototype (5 or 10 in existence?), so even rarer than the rare Red Bull version that you do see raced at EAHORC meetings.

Shame Patto's Place don't have decals for the DP01 Champcars, there are a few that would be nice to do. However, I do have the 1995 Indy-winning paint scheme on my to-do list

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I was just doing a bit of research on the DP-01 McDonalds car and yeah, it seems pretty rare. Isn't Deane a lucky boy!! And of course, the Mega G DP-01 livery just destroys the SG+ one. It looks so much better!

I would like to get the OzJet car personally as I was a huge Minardi F1 fan and that team was the continuation of it in Champ Car.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Good luck with the next round guys, jealous as always.

Pleased to see my Race car 1 and Race Car 2 along with my toolbox being used for illustration. They too were once valuable following two race wins, an HOGP podium and 6 or so a finals but on current form free to collector........

95? Without looking it up was that the year Gilles little boy won for Team Green in a car bearing the #27 made famous by his father?

·
Registered
730 Posts
How good/sad am I ?

I would like to see that.

That was the first 500 I watched the whole thing on TV, seems like yesterday but i was 22 so clearly it wasn't.

A grid of 90's Indycars would be so cool, a Ginassi with the yellow flashes, a Penske and either a Rahal with the black sidepods or a Newman/Haas would look great alongside what you have planned.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was a controversial 500 in '95 - JV ended up winning having been penalised two laps and had to race an extra 5 miles. Being Gilles' son, I remember rooting for him at the 500 and when he came into F1. But I'm sort of glad he didn't match Graham Hill's F1 champ / Indy 500 / Le Mans triple crown.

I was going to do a Penske car for EAHORC this year. It would make a good second strip for next season.

The oval we'll do for the Nascar round in August will be 'Indianapolis-like' so maybe we should run a few open-wheeled laps too.

An F1 round on an oval would certainly be interesting for our regular Turbo runners

·
Registered
337 Posts
QUOTE (Gareth @ 20 Apr 2011, 09:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You can buy a McDonalds SG+ Champcar from that well known auction site should you be desperate for a McDonalds liveried car and aren't too fussed which car it is. Buy It Now for £13.78 which is a bit of a bargain.

I have the Mcdonalds SG+ body on my Mega G.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So will you be going Mega-G at WHO F1?

In six F1 races last year we only had only a SG+ (twice) and a Turbo to challenge the Tycos.

In January this year it was 22.5 Tycos, 3 Turbos and 0.5 of a Mega-G (John ran 2 heats with it).

In March it was 27.5 Tycos, 5 Turbos, 2.5 Mega-Gs (John again swapping) and one MicroScalextric.

We'll see what happens next month...

·
Registered
337 Posts
The Mega G I keep aside for EAHORC meets so i'll be running my trusty Tyco again. It rarely skips a beat and is still competitive on our tracks due to the limited size we can make them.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I'll bring an SG+ to WHO F1 one day but I'm too excited about my Mega G to want to do it now! Plenty of time in the future and the learning experience of running the EAHORC Nascar SG will help me when it comes time to dabble.

I noticed that Marc likes to run an SG body on the Mega G too. Is there a weight advantage or is it just easier to do than chopping up the front wing of the Mega?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Apparently its lighter (don't quote me on that as i've not stuck it on the scales). Its a pain to fit because of all the clip hacking you have to do, took me about 30 minutes.

I'd say the Mega G trumps the Champ cars in detail and some appearance aspects but i like the simple lines of the Champ cars and you get to keep the front wing intact. Shame there no longer going to be made.

·
Registered
730 Posts
It is a fair bit lighter, about 2g for the SG+ body against 3g for the Mega G. I think it's fairly worthwhile if you get it right but I made a mess of my latest version and it distorts the chassis when fitted. Just needed to do a better job.

That said yourself John and Andy did pretty well without one last week.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts