SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
This will be the penultimate round of the 2011 Modified championship and round 8 of 10 of the club championship.

Is the 'A' final grid going to look anything like this?

A quick glance at the Mod points table, suggests that only Gareth has any chance of catching John - but he'll need to win both races and rely on the rest of us taking points off Mr Ferrigno.

No pressure

With some big points possible in the Junior race, Callum certainly has the form to close the gap on Will in the Junior Mod championship. Yet Will is a canny racer and always seems to limit any championship damage when he is beaten in a race. It'll be an intriguing end-of-season run in.

The fight for Rookie honours is as close as ever. After dropped scores, Gareth has a 1 point advantage over Darren.

The rules for our Modified class are here. Most people do run their own cars now, but we'll be introducing a new set of club cars in September, which will be an easier drive for those trying out HO racing for the first time.

As with Nascar and F1, do let us know your thoughts for any changes you'd like to see for 2012 - we're working on those already

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Looks like another cracking meeting on the cards - with the 'business' end of the season hoving into view.

Andy - I notice your flyer has one of those smart barcodes on it. What comes up if anyone scans it, and how did you generate it?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Ok, I'll start the smack talk as no one else seems willing to!

The A Final grid will definitely not look like the last Mod round as two of my cars were in that grid and I don't think I'll be able to persuade the Daves to come back me up.

I've made a new SG+ which is very quick as demonstrated at the Nascar race but it isn't going to be quick enough for Mod. So I'm going to fall back on my ultra grippy LifeLike T, the only car to do more laps in a final than John's scary fast Marchon. Sadly, I wasn't driving the car when it did that lap count but I've learnt a bit since then and I'm going all out for a win in Mod!!

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Deane - I got people at the club to scan it with their smartphones and the WHO website appeared

The site I used to generate the code was Red Laser. There are more and more sites that do it free, just google 'free barcode generator'. This is what's known as a QR code. You just put in the URL, text, phone number etc that you want to appear. The possibilities are endless.

Gareth - we all want the championship battle to go to the final round. I suspect even John does

If you win both rounds and John comes second each time, that's not enough. You need to put some serious points between the two of you each time.

Robin will be back and I will have a new evolution of my Mega-G. Plus there's another half a dozen racers who could get up there if John has a wobble...

I also just noticed that I already have a dropped score of zero - so I'm not completely out of the hunt either. Better get working on that Mega-G

·
Registered
98 Posts
Andy, sorry to hear you wont be with us on Sunday, hope everything`s okay, looking forward to Wednesday, got the test track out and me and the boys are working on the cars, a tricky 1 2 on Wednesdays circuit by the looks, see you there, cheers for now.

·
Registered
337 Posts
QUOTE (Pennyworth @ 30 Aug 2011, 13:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Andy, sorry to hear you wont be with us on Sunday, hope everything`s okay, looking forward to Wednesday, got the test track out and me and the boys are working on the cars, a tricky 1 2 on Wednesdays circuit by the looks, see you there, cheers for now.

I expect Will and Tim will take that marshalling spot (1 & 2 that is) so atleast you'll get put back on quickly.

·
Registered
299 Posts
2 of mega bridge elements have just had there nice grey primer coat....hopefully will be able to come a little earlier so you can see if they are the business or a pile of pants.....looking forward to it cheers....MIKED

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, battle commences in seven and a half hours

For those not able to make it, there will be live tweets at WHO_Racing.

After not a lot of thought, I'll be racing this:

My modified Audi LMP Mega-G, with hopped-up traction mags, Wizzard front end and home-made rear axle/crown gear combo.

I gave the car a good clean last night and I'm hoping it has made it faster and not killed it

We'll see later

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
My white BMW shell has been sticky padded onto my LL-T chassis and I am ready to rock. I may have to see if there are some taller tyres in the club shop but other than that, I shall be bringing the noise!

I can't leave work early today but if my train connection works (it has been very touch and go recently), I should be there for 6.40 or so. If not, please put me into a late heat. Fingers crossed I make practise.

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
A very enjoyable evening's racing: 25 racers on the grid, some great performances and some real surprises.

It was a really good-looking Mod grid, as usual.

Mike's 6 ft extenders / bridges made an impressive debut.

And big congratulations to John and Callum who took the medals for the second month running.

It was tough for both. John came back from a disastrous first two heats to take pole - an astonishing performance! This time Callum had a junior rival in the 'B' final, which he ended up winning and so finished 5th overall. An 'A' final beckons, I think...

I'll post more pictures, race results and updated points tables tomorrow

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
A disastrous but still enjoyable evening for me.

My car was lapping the entire circuit flat out in practise with the odd random off at the seemingly gentle curve onto the back straight. This corner caught a lot of people out.

Heat one in the yellow lane and all the grip had vanished so I had a lot of offs. Moving to blue lane I expected to rack up a gret score but was sidelined after 2 laps by a huge impact into another crashed car. I limped round for another lap but the pinion had jammed into the chassis. It took a while to identify.

Big thanks to John who amazingly lent his (at the time) closest challenger for the Mod title one of his previous A Final winning cars which I used for the last two heats. Sadly the damage was done and I only made it to the E Final but back in red lane (where I'd practised) with my original car which promptly worked perfectly and set the one of the highest lane scores of the night for red lane! Typical!

Congratulations to John and Callum on the wins and also congratulations to John on wrapping up the Mod title with a round to spare and also Darren who has all but secured the Rookie title after my traumas!

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Championship tables are now updated here.

After crunching the numbers, it looks like John has wrapped up the Mod championship, but Callum is now breathing down Will's neck in the junior category.

Andy needs to do something miraculous to catch John in the overall club championship (I'll do my best). Again, if Callum carries on his current form to the last two rounds, Will has got some serious defending to do to hang on to the junior club championship...

Finally, Darren is not home and dry in the Rookie championship, but it will need a disaster to open it up again for Gareth and Simon. But Gareth proved last night that disasters are very possible

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I'd completely set my heart on trying to win the Rookie championship this year so last night was actually really devastating. Possibly to a unhealthy level! I walked out the door and first thing I did was start swearing!!

I did a bit of number crunching in my head and I need back-to-back rookie wins with Mike, Simon and at least two others to finish between Darren and me at both events to even get a sniff at the title now. To go from one point ahead to 8 or 9 down (I can't see the tables at work but I think I scored 1 point to Darren's 10) in one fell swoop is unbelievable.

Moving on from my woes, it was great catching up with everyone again last night. Diesel if you can remember those Marchon mags for next time, that would be amazing. Using John's rolling road has made me see the benefits of one. Very tempted.

Mike's Vodafone liveried lexan looked amazing. I hope you took plenty of pics of it Andy!

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Et voila !

And another couple of new cars (Tim's and Dave's spare he loaned to Stephen and John):

Here's the 'A' final line-up:

And the new club cars that didn't turn a wheel all night:

And Gareth - you realise your 'E' final score was the best final score of the night. The 'A' final was exciting but surprisingly scrappy

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (woodcote @ 8 Sep 2011, 11:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And Gareth - you realise your 'E' final score was the best final score of the night. The 'A' final was exciting but surprisingly scrappy

There was no call for that smiley on the end there Mr Player.

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You did well to wait until you were outside until you started swearing. I'm not always so disciplined

With the championship pressure off it might free you up for a win or two - you know you have the pace.

Even John seemed a bit under pressure last night, but he responded magnificently in the heats and none of us in the final could make him pay for a couple of visits to the floor.

I thought last night was impressive for the pace of some of the juniors - they scored much higher than usual and I reckon Callum is definitely knocking on the door of an 'A' final - maybe at the expense of his dad

1 - 20 of 31 Posts