SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the final round of the 2011 Formula One Championship. As you can see from the top of the points table below, this a seven-way championship show-down!

I've subtracted the lowest score, which we'll do at the end of the season, so it's a slightly different table than is in the pinned championship tables thread.

There are many permutations, but if any of the top four win the race, they win the championship. If someone else wins the race, then it all starts to get quite complicated. One thing I'm convinced of is that anything can happen

Just a reminder that this is a stock class and our club cars are Tyco 440x2 F1 cars with silicone rear tyres. The rules are here.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It's taken the whole week for me to get over the disappointment of losing the rookie title in last week's disastrous mod round. But the sun is shining today and I've had the positive thought this morning that it gives me the opportunity to be more adventurous in my car choice over the last two rounds and the chance (as others have suggested) to relax and try and drive for two back to back wins without the pressure of the championship hanging over me.

For the this last F1 round, although Andy has left me on the bottom of the championship contenders list, I'm not going to win the title so I'm going to work on preparing some SG+ cars to complement my Mega G and finally we'll get to see how well the SG+ will go against a Martech MG. My Martech is going to get a long overdue to strip down, clean and oil to try and get it back into shape ready for the race. I need to do a bit of grinding on the lowest set of tyres after an unfortunate superglue accident at the last F1 race.

Can't wait to get my track out again and do some proper testing. I've not been testing properly for a while.

I'm really looking forward to Mod in November as I've got several more options in development for that. Although the car I really want to play with at the moment is my new Aurora 4-Gear Dodge van!

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a good plan Gareth - testing was always the cornerstone for your success

The last round or two are always good opportunities for people not fighting it out for the championship to start thinking about next season.

There will be a few changes to the F1 rules. On the drawing board are:

• the chance to use Wizzard gears and pick-ups on the Tyco[*]all allowed chassis can be run on silicones - with the Tomy SG+ and Mega-G using the EAHORC minimum tyre height[*]the Mega-G to be run with the EAHORC front end width limitations.
The permitted chassis will remain as they are now: Life Like M; MicroScalextric; Tomy Turbo, SG+ and Mega-G; Tyco 440x2.

If anyone would like to make any suggestions or help draft the 2012 F1 rules, let me know

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Very exciting news about the Mega G and SG+ moving to silicones. I'm assuming that it means the SG+ can have its rear wheels changed to a set of more normal rims. Perhaps some AJs?

I like that the Tyco is being opened up to tinkering too. It is a slight move away from being a stock class but if it makes it competitive then that would be great. I've never got on with the Tyco but I'll be interested to see what other people can do with it.

Any ideas on how to make a LifeLike M competitive?

Also one thing I would love to see is a way to make the Tomy Turbo competitive. Perhaps you could use a specified level of magnet in an SRT magnet holder? There isn't really any point running one right now as the stock magnets are hopelessly out classed by everything else on the entry list.....even the LifeLike M which doesn't have traction mags!!
I don't want to make it the dominant chassis but if you could make it capable of competing that would be nice to see. I still love the bodyshells Tomy produced and I could run my Leyton House March.

Not really a rule change but an interesting possible addition would be adding in an extra couple of dead strips/light bridges at the beginning and end of the straight, similar to Diesel's home set up. I think it would be pretty cool to be able to see the top speed of the cars as well as average speed. I appreciate that it would probably involve another laptop, two more bridges and a fair amount of expense but it is a nice idea.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the rear wheels would be 'open' on all the chassis. But the Mega-G and SG+ would have a minimum tyre height requirement to make them a bit tricky in the corners. I'll have to look at suitable wheel / tyre combos to give the .453" (11.506mm) height. The AJs would mean using very thick tyres.

The Tyco thing is really to give access to economically-priced replacement parts. I've been thinking about the Turbo, but will probably not do anything until 2013.

I've seen radar guns used to measure speed on the long straights. Maybe someone has one tucked away?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Will it mean that you can't run ground down rubber tyres on the MG? I'm thinking that the lowest set that the Martech owners have probably offers a similar level of grip and downforce as a tall silicone. Don't quote me on that though!

There was a toy radar gun for sale a few years ago which the r/c plane guys were using to measure their top speeds. That would be relatively cheap to buy. Not as accurate or downloadable/displayable as having a detection points on the circuit though.

If we get my track running in the next month or so, we could think about the Turbo for next year! Not that I am uber keen or anything. Had to delete my signature after missing a string of weekend races!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
An excellent track plan indeed! I shall have to get busy tonight or I'll find myself stuck in another E final tomorrow evening.

Just a quick (and cheeky!) reminder to Robin to bring spare fuses. Just in case we have a repeat of last month.

Assuming we get through all the night's racing in good time, I shall bring my 4-gear Dodge van and Peterbilt rig for a blast at the end.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
It will be a intense night for sure.

Is there merit in having an extra laptop and a volunteer to man it, purely to input potential scores in real time onto a spreadsheet? This would mean race control could call out championship positions 'live'.

A lot of extra work, but it could save somebody's season, and think of the buzz it would add to an already insane night

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Twelve hours time and the championship showdown will be reaching its climax. If you can't make it, there will be updates on twitter.

I fully expect some of those not in the top four to be in the mix for the race win. That will really make the championship points tricky to follow!

All John has to do is repeat his Open Wheel victory from Sunday and the WHO F1 cup is his. John has only one win in WHO F1 - and that was last October...

The Junior F1 championship is also in the balance. The pressure is on Will to defend his lead. I think he will do it, although Ashley and Callum will be doing all they can to deliver a big score. James is still in with a chance too.

Can't wait

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I spent a lot of last night testing on my "Mini Monza" test track. Mega G has been sort of cleaned up, .422 tyres sanded and cleaned up after the glue incident and the car is running fast and smooth.

I also selected a nice running SG+ as a spare car/run it in a heat if I have nothing to lose. Not as quick in the turns as the MG by any stretch but still pretty quick. I've put brand new tyres on but not ground them down. I'm saving most of my SG+ experiments for next year as I won't be able to do the full season for obvious reasons.

I'm also bringing a highly illegal project car to run in testing. It is on the pace of the SG+ and may even be a bit quicker. Its only version one as I didn't have enough parts to make the full version without cannibalising a couple of other race cars. Version two has the potential to be a race winner.

I do love having testing evenings. Although practising with a proper driver station and controller will be so much better when my track is finally done.

Is anyone bringing any playtime cars? I've got a Tjet, X-Traction Daytona, 4-gear van, A/FX Daytona and my rig to play with! Time dependent of course.

I should have brought some track to work with me for lunchtime!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Congrats to John Ferrigno, talk about having an amazing week.

In the space of a few days he has managed to soak up race-long pressure from the man considered most likely to sweep the board nationally this season (Andy Whorton) to take a win in the uber-tough Open Wheel national class, and thereby become one of only 12 or so guys with Premier status, then he takes on Darren in a final with the F1 title at his club on the line and wins that too.

John - buy a lotto ticket for this weekend mate!!!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
A great nights racing this evening and the A final was worthy of the hype leading up to it. A proper tensely thought fight where you didn't know who would win the race and more importantly, the championship.

I was in a similarly hard fought B final and Robin finally managed to end my record of the past 10 months. Apart from A Finals, I had never lost a final that I had qualified for in EAHORC and WHO. I could only manage second this evening but it was a monumental scrap. I was in the tricky yellow lane against Robin's blue lane. A string of errors at the final corner left me down the order but a massive under the table off from Robin let me back into contention but half a lap down. An off each in the closing half minute left the gap at just 40 odd parts when the power was switched off.

Interesting to see the curse of the WHO F1 winner strike again. Take a look at these results:

Round 1. Winner = Robin. Round 2 he finished 4th which isn't bad
Round 2. Winner = Simon. Round 3 he finished 5th not making the A final.
Round 3. Winner = Me. Round 4 I finished 5th not making the A final.
Round 4. Winner = Mike D. Round 5 he finished in the C final.

Apart from Robin, the winner of the previous F1 round has not made the next A final even though they were using the same car. Will the curse strike John in January?

There were a couple of cars that caused a few raised eyebrows this evening. Hopefully the 2012 rules will make these competitive and exciting cars legitimate!

All in all it was a fantastic evening of racing and I'm looking forward to WHO's en masse trip to HONK later this month. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that we've got one of the finest complements of top class drivers of any of the clubs. That Club Trophy is coming to the South Coast next June. You read it here first!

And finally, massive congratulations to John on his F1 title. I think he'll wrap the hat trick next month but fingers crossed for some competitive racing to make him sweat for it!

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Well done to John. No-one was quite sure whether he could afford to let Darren get by, with Simon in third. Would Simon have pipped him for the title? And it was a real dogfight for the win, almost to the last.

And well done to Callum too - he won another junior medal and did exactly what he had to do to win the Junior F1 championship.

Results, report, championship tables and video up - hopefully - tomorrow and Friday

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Gareth - I am sure your bold smack talk about the national club championship will be picked up by SCHORC and FLBT. Game on! Your club does indeed have strength in depth, a good card to be able to play. Who is in the 'WHO's en masse trip' contingent for HONK?

Looking at the WHO F1 season what pleased me, and must make the club proud, is that all five rounds had a different winner. John 'did a Vettel', not leading the championship until the final A final of the season finished. What a way to win it!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts