SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's great Lee

If you've done three HO events or less before the 11th, you'll qualify for the 2012 Rookie of the Year award.

I'll be looking through previous race sheets over the next few days and then putting up a list of eligible Rookies in the new 2012 Championship Points Tables section. It should be good battle again...

Happy New Year everybody

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike - that's an imaginative way to get some extra horsepower, but I'm not sure the wheel will fit under the bridge

But that's got me thinking - I wonder how much hamster power an HO motor generates? Would it (rather like inches per second) give a interesting equivalency to horsepower in 1:1 race cars? What do you reckon Montoya1?

And nice buys Gareth. Are those Minis rare? Some Mini racing on your track sounds fun.

I have been busy fitting some pin tubes to a handful of chassis so they can run with lexan bodies in Mod.

Above are a short-wheelbase Mega-G, a Tyco and a Life Like. I'll be running the Mega-G next week. The Tyco is a work in progress and the Life Like is for Lee H.

The Mega-G is an evolution from the Audi I raced last season - the same stronger traction mags, a modified rear axle and gearing, Storm front end - but this time it'll be under a lexan body. I've built a slightly different rear axle, just to see if I can get some extra speed.

I've used a Wizzard 20T Pro-Predator crown gear which fits in without too much bother or shaving down. The traction mags will be flipped to 'high horsepower' mode, so the motor should have the grunt to make that ratio work. The gear mesh is quite good with a stock Storm pinion, so I've stuck with that. The wheels are the Wizzard RA17W .250" OD narrow double flanged hubs. The axle is Tyco. After a shakedown I'll know if it works. Otherwise the Audi gets cannibalised for parts.

I also fitted tubes on two Harden Creek Tycos that will be in the shop next Wednesday. Yes, they are purple and they look like they could be fast

Next job is to paint up some lexan bodies for those five chassis and to cut some tyres for the Mega-G.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Simon, if the purple car you're looking at has a balanced armature then no, it isn't legal.

The cars above are described as "Tyco/Mattel HPx2 Wide-Pan Racing Chassis" on the Harden Creek website. It's basically the current Mattel chassis with the Harden Creek 'Venom' neo magnets in it. Plus I've added some 'O' ring front wheels and the pin tubes for the lexan body.

The Tyco I am building for myself will be a slight variation, using a narrow chassis instead. I'll also play with the gearing.

The pin tubes are made out of brass tubing placed into holes drilled through the side of the chassis (avoiding all the important bits). It needs a bit of planning and patience

So who is the rookie? Is Calum back?

When I was doing the eligibility list, I was wondering who's going to come and do a season, because they will stand a very good chance of picking up rookie of the year. Ollie's dad Andy would be another candidate...

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Gareth & Darren - I like your new signatures

I should think they'll be some serious testing going on this weekend to make sure those new cars are working.

Mod is great fun. There are so many choices of chassis and you can take on the challenge of building your own car. Throwing a bunch of components together can give you a great car, or something that requires some 'development'.

I'm holding my breath over my Mega-G. And I should get my Tyco is some sort of state to give it a run on Wednesday.

What I can say is that buying a ready to race car is always a good bet. We know from last year that the SCD SRT is great out of the box and the Harden Creek Tycos come highly recommended.

A standard Life Like with a lexan body also looked a good choice last year. Both Gareth and Lee will running these fitted with pin tubes (for the bodies) next Wednesday.

Once you have a car you can have a play with different gear ratios, wheels and tyres. That should make the car faster, but it might not

Robin and me are meeting up tomorrow to finish the new driver stations with adjustable brakes and an individual power supply for each lane. The new TrackMate timing software will debut in February. We want to make sure each upgrade is done well and works properly

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The new driver stations look brilliant - there is some real quality craftsmanship in there, so a big thanks to mikefi.

Robin and me didn't hack them about too much as we wired them up yesterday

Another evening's work is needed to finish them off and test them before Wednesday. And we should be running with TrackMate too. Although not with relays to control the track power (that will come in February).

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I'm intrigued by those 'special' cars

Could be these:

or some of these:

In either case, we might just have to check the height clearance on the light bridge

Both look a little bit 'open-wheeled' but the chassis is not legal in F1. Legal in Mod or Nascar? Hmm...

But brilliant at home. Indeed, I am looking at building some lexan sprint cars for my oval

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
The adjustable brakes went down really well. Most people started on about 'half brakes' and then experimented. A lot of people reckoned that adjusting the brakes improved their performance, especially on the gutter lanes. But only if racers remembered to fiddle with their knobs before the lights went green.

Mike's module certainly spread the drivers out and gave better line-of sight too. Plus Race Control moved away a little.

Gareth switched from his usual 'Various' to a mere 'Several' last night. One day he will find a couple of chassis to concentrate on

His Life Like was pretty fast, so Ned's 'C' final win was all the more impressive.

Ned and Lee H look like they could have quite a battle for Rookie of the Year. That is if Ned is allowed a late night per month and Lee can manage the trip down from Suffolk - both were damn keen to do so last night

It was good to see Chris and Louis back for their second visit and welcome to Duncan who did well on his debut. Those three will be looking at Rookie of the Year honours too.

I'd rate Mike McCann's performance as a highlight of the night too. It was great to see him come to grips with a really fast car - a steep learning curve - and he took that 'D' final with aplomb.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some more of the Harden Creek HPX2s on the Mod grid this year and next. The club shop will be re-stocking soon, I understand.

Sadly, time ran out and we didn't see the Sprint Cars make any runs...

I was very happy with my Mega-G. My big problem was the rear bushing popping out in two heats and twice in the final. I need to stop that next time and then John's Marchon will be toast

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.