SlotForum banner

WHO Racing 2012 Round 1 - Modified - January 11

10K views 115 replies 14 participants last post by  woodcote 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#55 ·
I'm looking forward to meeting you too Lee. Forgot to put that yesterday!

Sorted my axle this morning on the train.

I also had 25 pairs of magnets turn up on Friday. I had bought them to go in Micro Scalextric chassis but they are too small. They're actually the same size just about as LifeLike T magnets. I'm going to epoxy a pair into one of my LifeLike chassis to try out. They need to be glued as they just fall out otherwise. Same as the first pair of replacement LL magnets I bought.

I'll order more magnets at the end of the month which will hopefully be the right size for the Micro chassis.

If anyone does want a pair of very strong magnets for LifeLike chassis, let me know.

#57 ·
No worries Mike. I'll put some in my pitbox for you. As I say they do need glueing in so won't be any good for this meeting.

I'm looking forward to finishing race prepping my cars tonight and tomorrow. I'll post some photos when I'm completed.....hopefully late enough to prevent anyone duplicating them straight away!

I will be a happy man if the MR-1 reign of dominance is ended on Wednesday....especially if I'm the one to do it. I do have the usual quandary of not knowing which car to run though as I've prepped three different chassis types.

#58 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oh so many choices for wednesday now that snailmail has arrived!!!! I have a couple of srt`s the super turbo plus and if I can talk Stephen into it maybe even a mega g to use,,think I may need banning from club shop or I`ll be like a women in a shoe shop----"I think I like that one but they look nice!!!!!!"
Also a favour to ask---if my 2 are in a final on thier own(or against me ) are they allowed to use thier "special" cars????? They are standard life likes but body shell probably does not fit into any catogries.

#59 ·
I'm intrigued by those 'special' cars

Could be these:

or some of these:

In either case, we might just have to check the height clearance on the light bridge

Both look a little bit 'open-wheeled' but the chassis is not legal in F1. Legal in Mod or Nascar? Hmm...

But brilliant at home. Indeed, I am looking at building some lexan sprint cars for my oval

#66 ·
Fantastic evening tonight. Strangely the fastest cars ever seen at The Barn during the longest meeting seen!

And the cars were seriously fast tonight. I loved seeing people with new ultra speedy cars putting them to good use such as Mike M with his Harden Creek Tyco. And Andy's Mega G was stunning to watch too. If he can sort the gremlins then that will definitely be a race winner. Super smooth and incredibly quiet running. I would say John's car was amazing to watch but it was too quick to see.

Nice to meet Lee H. Never seen someone look so glum about being knocked out of the A Final....I suppose I've not seen my own face when Mr Player has repeatedly done it to me in the past!

I think the absolute stand out driver of the evening though was Ned Dadson and not just because he beat me by 4 laps in the C Final! He drove brilliantly through all of his heats and the final as well. I think he even managed a couple of perfect runs with no offs.

I'm fairly pleased with my own car developments. I was experimenting with tyre heights throughout the evening, starting on .448s and ending on .430s which slowed the car a bit but made it super quick in the turns. A 2.8 second lap to match John's early pace isn't to be sniffed at. And if I'd stayed with the same car for Heat 2 instead of trying something else.....Who Knows!!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the stats and photos on this one. And I'm really, really looking forward to placing a further order for parts with Fortunate Robert!

Great job everyone, roll on Nascar.

#68 · (Edited by Moderator)
I forgot to mention the driver stations! Where are my manners!

They are excellent. A huge improvement over the old ones what with having brakes and also giving each driver some space. Well done to Andy, Mike and Robin for getting them in place.

So what was your laptime on the white lane then Andy?

I just remembered that in my first heat I thought TrakMate had been installed so after 3 green lights I pulled the trigger. Not thinking that the start sequence was still the old one or anything. Dumkopf!

#70 ·
Could you tell us more about this new HO manufacturer 'Several'

I was waiting for the first tweet of the night, for some reason thinking of Ligier F1 cars, so pleased to see another season kick off in such style.

The tech stuff looks really good, I will assume not keeping things simple as before did not reduce the fun for anyone. Those that don't want brakes can switch them off and keep their fun levels the same, but somebody who likes them may move up the order, and have more fun...!

#71 ·
The adjustable brakes went down really well. Most people started on about 'half brakes' and then experimented. A lot of people reckoned that adjusting the brakes improved their performance, especially on the gutter lanes. But only if racers remembered to fiddle with their knobs before the lights went green.

Mike's module certainly spread the drivers out and gave better line-of sight too. Plus Race Control moved away a little.

Gareth switched from his usual 'Various' to a mere 'Several' last night. One day he will find a couple of chassis to concentrate on

His Life Like was pretty fast, so Ned's 'C' final win was all the more impressive.

Ned and Lee H look like they could have quite a battle for Rookie of the Year. That is if Ned is allowed a late night per month and Lee can manage the trip down from Suffolk - both were damn keen to do so last night

It was good to see Chris and Louis back for their second visit and welcome to Duncan who did well on his debut. Those three will be looking at Rookie of the Year honours too.

I'd rate Mike McCann's performance as a highlight of the night too. It was great to see him come to grips with a really fast car - a steep learning curve - and he took that 'D' final with aplomb.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some more of the Harden Creek HPX2s on the Mod grid this year and next. The club shop will be re-stocking soon, I understand.

Sadly, time ran out and we didn't see the Sprint Cars make any runs...

I was very happy with my Mega-G. My big problem was the rear bushing popping out in two heats and twice in the final. I need to stop that next time and then John's Marchon will be toast

#73 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well an interesting night!!!!!! The harden creek venom tyco thingy(can you all tell I know what I`m talking about?)was rapid to say the least!!!!!
A bit of practise is needed just to focus on the "white bullet", some interesting racing especially in the first couple of heats when "bullyboy Dadson" made his intentions clear by knocking me off the track in the first heat then spinning and blocking my lane in the second heat!!!!!! After thesse "monor indescrections" the evening just decended into continual banter---ending with me offering to put Mike`s car on the start line for him----shame he noticed the BIG headstart everyone else had lol!!
This evening really summed up WHO for me good racing good banter and brilliant fun

Many thanks to Mike for all his work on the drivers station they really improved things and as always thanks to Robin and Andy for all help and advice, Many apoligies for having to "dash off" before night was finished but school means we were on a short timescale

Roll on nascar not as long to wait as normal

P:s Mistake of the night has to go to Robin for forgetting traction mags in first heat

#74 ·
QUOTE (woodcote @ 12 Jan 2012, 08:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gareth switched from his usual 'Various' to a mere 'Several' last night. One day he will find a couple of chassis to concentrate on

His Life Like was pretty fast, so Ned's 'C' final win was all the more impressive.
Actually I only ran a LifeLike for a single run during my disastrous white lane heat. I went straight into the lead and then stacked it on the first lap which took the body off and then it got dropped on the floor which bent the pickup spring hanger thing so the car was dead.

The rest of the evening I only ran one chassis which was one of my SG+s. Surprising I know!
Does anyone have any idea why it was making so much noise? I'm not fussed about it unless it is costing me performance but it would be nicer to have a WhisperJet like Andy's Mega G.

The pinned LifeLike didn't have the poise and grip I was after when I tried it in practise so I left it in the pitbox for the racing. It will be having some serious upgrades though in time for April!

I'm pleased that Andy showed that you can get MR-1 equalling performance out of a different chassis.

I'm very excited about this Mod season. I hope I can make the last 3 rounds.

#75 ·
Cheers for all the thanks chaps. Andy and I wouldn't be able to do half the things we do now without the combined help of our members.

Really enjoyed last night for the same reasons as Mike e.g. Lots of good racing and lots of good banter. I can't beleive I picked up my super G that had no traction magnets in it from my race box
I was twiddling with controls thinking "Aiie Aiieee whats going on hear then?" and creeping round the track. It was only in the last minute of the race I twigged on and just carried on. Next time i'll have the Life Like T back in action.

Didn't really know what to say about the new HC Tyco's when people said "Are these any good?" as i've never run one. But they were soon snapped up and went really well. I reckon a very very small reduction in tire height could add to the traction of the chassis without destroying the top speed too much, but do this at your own risk. We'll look to stocking a couple more in the next month or two. Glad to see people are still using the shop and remember, the more you use it then the more we'll spend on new stock. Gears and axles are the next focus.

Well next month I'll be Hank again and another one of you with be billy bob because its NASCAR time so im "Dropping the Hammer" no matter what that bald headed ice cream eating mechanics says

Race Report will come soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.