WHO Racing 2012 Round 12 - Formula One - December

3K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  woodcote 
#1 ·

Our rules are here.

It'll be another tense championship showdown

See less See more
#5 ·
Aha! It's been up on the website since last night, but here it is:

And here's how the F1 Championship looks with current low scores dropped...

For the juniors, Hannah has to beat Callum by 11 points to be sure of taking the F1 Junior Championship.

The Classic Cup race is neck-and-neck between Dave (Tyco) and Andrew (Micro), with Simon (Tyco) close enough behind to take the trophy with a win.

#6 ·
Anti-clockwise just like Brazil to end the 1:1 championship. Nice!

I like the layout. It looks like a good mix of complexes and straights. Emily is starting a course on Wednesday afternoons/evenings for the next couple of months but we have a babysitter lined up so I should still be ok to race.

As long as my flipping Lucky Bob order turns up in time! Maybe I should race an SRT as I'm not in the title fight and its the last race for the chassis.

#12 ·
I've done some scenarios and there seems no chance of another shared championship. Mike has two pole positions, so if he and Robin tied with Robin taking the win, Mike would have the trophy by a gnat's proverbial, even if Robin gets pole position.

Like Nascar, if any of the top three win, they take the championship. Robin could do a Darren, but he'll need help with someone out of the top three taking second.

In any case, we'll have a third different F1 championship after Dave and John

#15 ·
The weather looks as if it will remain reasonably fine down here on the south coast - cold but no more snow. Hopefully Clive's route from Wiltshire is okay too.

For those who can't make it to the Barn tonight, you can follow the action by clicking the WHO Race Live button on our website.

With four championships to be decided - the club championship, Formula One, Junior F1 and the F1 Classic Cup - it should be an exciting night at the Barn

#16 ·
I'm looking forward to it! Zero preparation in keeping with my usual method of racing at the moment. I've brought a Turbo for conversion into an SRT, my spare MBR Mega G as the parts for the regular chassis have still not arrived and a LifeLike M.

I like the idea of the SRT as it is the last night of running it but I also like the idea of the LL-M in the Classic Cup. I'll see what runs well and make my decision after that. It's the last night of chilled out racing before trying to compete at the front again next season so I hope I don't go wimpy and just run the Mega!

See you all later.

#19 ·
Race report

A highly competitive year at WHO handed us another championship showdown in Formula One. Going into the race, Darren, Mike or Clive could clinch the F1 crown with a win - which would also give Darren the club trophy for 2012.

Just to ramp up the tension, the start of racing was delayed by 30 minutes after electrical gremlins hit red lane. Thanks to everyone who helped diagnose and solve the problem and to everyone else for their patience.

So, at 7.30pm, nineteen racers took to the grid and the final heats of the year begun.

The track looked tricky, but once racers got into a laid-back rhythm some good scores started to flow. Of the big hitters, Mike took top score in yellow and red, Clive in white and Callum in blue.

When everything shook down, it was going to be a duel between Clive and Mike for the championship, with Callum and Andy joining them in the 'A' final to try and snatch the race win.

Finals

The 'E' final saw three different chassis. Tonight was Mike's first outing with the Micro Scalextric and, by the end of the night, it was a match made in heaven with a storming win against a hard-charging Matt (Tyco) and Tyler (Mega-G).

Another new Micro racer featured in the 'D' final with Stephen having put in an excellent 20.25 lap heat in blue. He couldn't repeat that in the final and came second behind Jonah's Mega-G, a result that confirmed Jonah's third in the Junior club championship, just ahead of Stephen. Behind them were Ollie (Tyco) and Daniel (Mega-G).

The 'C' final was an all-Tyco affair, which saw Josh blow away Dave, Duncan and Simon with a very impressive drive, which took Josh into second place in both the rookie championship and junior F1. Simon failed to get off the line, which really summed up his luck tonight.

Darren's championship dream had imploded when he ended up in the 'B' final. Further frustration followed when his car was taken off early in the final. He made a strong comeback from last place to finish just behind Andrew's Micro, with Gareth's SRT third ahead of Robin's spare car. Andrew's return to form won him the first F1 Classic Cup and Gareth gave the SRT a decent send off - it won't be included in the class next year.

That just leaves us the 'A' final - the last 2 minutes of racing for the 2012 season.

Nerves were very evident off the line as our two championship contenders spent as much time off the track as on. We've seen this before from Mike and a disaster looked on the cards. Callum - in his first WHO 'A' final - disappeared up the road and threatened to take his second momentous win of the week.

Perhaps nerves got to Callum too, as a spate of crashes dropped him back behind a recovering Clive. As it stood, coming up to half distance, the F1 trophy would be spending the year in Wiltshire. However, Mike was getting in the groove and leaving the other three for dead round the twisty part of the circuit.

Mike pulled back the gap and then overtook Clive. There were still plenty of crashes, but the pace was incredibly fast - both drivers really wanted that trophy. With fifteen seconds to go, Mike had a seemingly comfortable lead of lap and a half, but Clive kept the pressure on.

The chequered flag came down with Mike just half a lap ahead of Clive - a brilliant battle right to the end of the season.

Huge congratulations to Mike on his race win and his championship trophy. Commiserations to Clive on just missing out. A great performance too by Callum who picks up a clean sweep of Junior championships in 2012.

That is the end of our third season. Thanks to everyone for racing, helping with setting up and packing away and for contributing - in big and small ways - to make the year at WHO as enjoyable as it has been.

I can't wait to the first race of 2013 - that's Wednesday 9 January - next year's dates are here.

#21 ·
Great fun last night and congratulations to all the championship winners and certificate winners. A great way to round off the season and a whole lot of fun. When I was looking at the grid during the last few heats, it was interesting to see that the Top 9 had all won a National or Club race with at least another three race winners further down the field. That's an impressive array of talent!

The track was great fun to drive and seemed to suit every chassis which is a pretty impressive feat of track design!

I was very impressed by Josh's drive on the yellow lane in his heat and his great battle with Dave for the C Final win. 22 laps on yellow for a Rookie Junior was a brilliant effort.

I really enjoyed driving my SRT for its final hurrah. Ultimately I think I let the car down a bit. I crashed so many times into Turn 1 during my heats. Not enough braking for the very sharp right hander. I do think that a more consistent driver would have got the car a few spots higher. I kind of regret not giving it a whirl before but that's life! Too much choice!

Roll on January. Hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year.

Cheers

Gareth

#22 ·
Thanks to all the WHO people for another great nights racing on a challenging track due to Andys clever design.

My nightmare scenario of not qualifying for the A with no step up available did not materialise despite another issue with 6 inch curves in Yellow. Thinking about having an open wheel monster truck available for next time. Fortunately I did find a car with a decent turning circle just in case I ended up there in the final!

The A final was a bit scrappy for us all but I had my lane of choice and so did the Daddy and Callum could quite easily have taken a deserved win in the chaos. In the end when it settled down it was Mike who was quicker round the corners than I was faster down the straight so in my book the right man won. Close racing and coming second is always better than an easy win, but close racing and a win is even better!
Well done Mike, not only for the win but also the championship!

Looking forward to my next visit.

Clive

#23 ·
Round of applause for Clive and his gracious in defeat speech. You were a formidable competitor as always Clive and its a pleasure to see you at the Barn after what must be a gruelling drive from the south west.

See you next year and well done again on some excellent racing.

Cheers

Gareth

#24 ·
Another cracker at the barn and a very close finish to round off a great 2012 season at Worthing H.O. club..

Massive thanks to Andy,Robin and Dave for getting us all together ,designing tracks, running the evenings and posting results,race reports and videos....nice one chaps

..It was a twisty twicky twack that did its best to level all the cars and caught out some of the regular A finalists ,well done Callum for getting there...As Andy mentioned I was on my way to messing up a nice pole position.......and after a trip to the floor I thought is was all over!!!....But don't give in laddie.......Thanks to some quick marshaling by Duncan on that first bend I managed to sneak a tiny lead.....It was a great way to finish the season....Thanks to Clive and Callum for providing cracking competition.....and good to see you again Clive..

Watch out Callum, next season it looks like Josh might be providing you with a stiff bit of competition, if he keeps the performance he demonstrated in his final......

Onwards to 2013

mIkE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.