Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
We're going to have to organise a few more Adult rookies for Lee to race against this year...
If I can get Dave and Dave to come again that should do it!!

Fresh from doing some full size simulator racing over the weekend here, I'm looking forward to getting back to HO racing!

I do thoroughly recommend PTR! It is amazing. I managed to get within 3 seconds of the lap record on their circuit and was 6 seconds a lap quicker than the average rookie there so I'm very pleased with myself.

I will be at this race provided I don't win tickets to see Top Gear being recorded that day instead! I'll know by the end of the month. With half a million people on the short list, I think my chances are good that'll be racing at WHO!!

It would be nice to get the Hornet out for a drive again. It hasn't hit the track since HONK in October.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
They used one of my cars back in June last year. One qualified 2nd or 3rd overall and I think came 2nd overall and the other qualified 5th and won the B final with more laps than the winner of the A!!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Gareth don't be silly, no need for more people in rookie cup, please don't bring them lol or trying to win this rookie cup will send me grey

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
But Lee, I've got two Mega G's, 3 F1 SG+s and friends who can drive them!!

Plus you should see the Mod cars I'm developing!

You are in luck though. Although both enjoyed racing, they're not into doing it every meeting.

·
Registered
448 Posts
As I sit reading this several times as I have flu(the proper sort not just man flu!!!!!!) I am still trying to decide what to run do I go for the standard turbo and hope not too many other drivers go for classic cup??????? Do I go with an srt and hope for mid table or do I just hope to feel better soon then I might be able to make a desicion!!!!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
The choice is obviously going to be your own to make but I will point out that Diesel is almost definitely going to run a Micro Scalextric which will also be in the Classic Cup and he was very handy with one last time he tried it. I'm a Turbo fan but I just can't see how you can hope to be competitive with it against Tycos and that MS car.

Therefore I would suggest SRT!

Or I'll make it even more complicated for you. Assuming I am there, I'll be bringing an extra Mega G if you wished to try it and an SG+ set up for F1 with the correct height tyres and black magnets.

Choices choices!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Oh bloody hell Gareth you have now completly fried my brain!!!!!! In my weakend state I cant even decide what to have for dinner tonight let alone what car to run!!!!!!!! Maybe I will try and sneak my turbo plus red mag thingy in do you think anyone will notice if I stay on the track for a change?????

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ok a rule check needed please----on the website under f1 rules it states that SRT traction magnet must be in neutral postion---is the mega g allowed to run with the magnets flipped over if so why???? and why not the srt??????
Sorry to be a pain in this matter but hey thats what I am lol!!!!!!!!!!
P:s if mega g is allowed to run with mag flip can I reserve an f1 body for Stephen please(and possibly an srt magnet for Daniel)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Also I fully realise that the red traction mag on my turbo plus is NOT allowed so if I have less than 6 "offs" per heat then I fully expect a stewards inquiry followed by a court martial then lined up against the wall to face a firing squad!!!!!!

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Mike - the thinking behind including the SRT in F1 this year is that it is a way of improving the performance of those who ran Turbos last year, without having to buy a new car just yet.

As Gareth has said, the standard Turbo is not really in the game, even in the Classic Cup battle. Although - I did finish second with a Turbo in a field of Tycos back in the summer of 2010. Maybe I will give one a run out in December - once I have wrapped up the F1 championship

So, in 2012, I have 5 sets of SRT magnets that I will loan to those who have run Turbos in WHO F1 races previously. I'll set them up and fit them.

I will arrange the stock Tomy AFX SRT magnet blocks in a neutral position as - I think - this gives a nice all-round performance on the big, flowing WHO F1 circuits. This set-up should be on the pace with the Mega-Gs and SG+ cars with the black magnets.

What this really means is that the SRT is not meant to be a tuner's car in 2012. We might see it drop out in 2013 or remain in this 'neutral' spec, but only if Turbo runners want to stick with their cars. We'll see

People can play a little more with the other cars - magnet flips on the Mega-G are definitely allowed. If you can find them, the Tyco/Mattel 440x2 can run with the stock traction mags of opposite polarity too. And you can use after-market pick-up springs and shoes, as long as they are not silver or gold plated.

Despite the introduction of the Classic Cup this year, if any of our regular 'A' and 'B' finalists spend a bit of time preparing a really good Tyco or MicroScalextric car, I expect to see these chassis in the top eight and - who knows - even competing for the win.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up!!!!!! Any chance of reserving 2 sets of magnets unless other people want them,, any idea off the top of your head how much a mega g costs from shop? Cheers Mike M

·
Registered
550 Posts
A quick question on Micro Scalextric:

Can the RF capacitor be removed or is it considered an integral part of the the electrical system? Some of my chassis have them and some are missing, but I'm not sure if they've been removed in a past life or whether some chassis never had them to start with. Either way, they don't do anything other than making some of the F1 bodies difficult to fit

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Mike,

I think that the Mega G Champ Car in the club shop was £16 but don't quote me on that!

Diesel,

The RF Capacitor is considered the same way as an axle retaining clip, light or dust guard: pointless rubbish to take off the car!

I always make a point of stripping them off all cars I get!

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, I will set aside 2 sets of the SRT mags for the McCanns and one set for Matt Harvey's Turbo.

I think there might still be 2 Mega-G Champcars in the shop. The yellow car has the magnets already in high down-force mode and the motor brushes run in.

Don't forget the Super-G+, Mega-Gs and SRTs need to run on the EAHORC Mega-G size tyres on stock wheels. The minimum outside diameter (OD) will need to come in at 11.5mm or higher. An easy option is the Tomy .458" Supertires. A bit of a play with Tyco sizes and a digital calliper would give you more options. But beware: low temperatures at the Barn would give a smaller OD measurement. Tyre-warmers anyone?

On the capacitors: Although they are not mentioned in the rules, Gareth's point is spot on. We take them off the Mattel F1 cars, so it should be the same with the Micro cars too. Andrew's point that some come with and some without, makes it clearer.

Anything else not covered in the rules, do ask

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Andy, I am impressed that you have updated your location to reflect where you are posting from!!

On your smaller tyres in colder weather point: I take it that the .458s will still be legal even if they are measuring slightly smaller due to the cold? Or that would be incredibly harsh!!

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think you'll find the .458"s are comfortably legal even in sub-zero temperatures.

Some of the Turbo and Mega-G stock hubs are slightly smaller than others, so you will need to check with the Tyco sizes. Some combinations will be marginal, irrespective of the weather. Of course, on a fast, flowing track you might run better with slightly higher tyres anyway...

Gareth - hopefully my location will return to normal Monday or Tuesday next week

1 - 20 of 127 Posts